Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy high mileage if still very new?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 10:53 PM
Floydian

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Would you buy high mileage if still very new?

So I've seen a few '15-'16s that seemed nicely equipped but some had high miles for a '15-'16. I looked at a '15 SCrew XLT 2.7 EB w/ 4WD and ELD as well as the package that includes heated seats, backup camera, the SYNC navigation system, remote start, etc. The bad: it had 49k miles on it. I looked all over the truck, it was in good shape body wise - however, the engine was dusty and I saw bits of mud in the wheel wells. It's been at this particular dealer for almost 3 months and I had wondered if it was the miles or what since here in Northern KY trucks seem to go fast, but on top of that - it had louder exhaust, I think they disabled the auto start/stop (It never shut off on a 20 minute test drive, but I kept seeing that A with a slash through it on the driver info center - but the button light was not lit), and I'm pretty sure they disabled the fake engine noise. It was only a one owner so the previous owner did all the stuff to it. The exhaust was mild, and it drove perfect, shifted great, all the stuff worked as it should.

I feel the natural response would be "run away", but I liked so much about this truck. Had some nice knobby tires on it that looked almost brand new and they weren't even that noisy on the road. It felt really quick, but I have only driven one other 2.7 EB and it was long ago. It did have a reese hitch on it and the trailer brake, so I suspect they towed with it - how much or how often, no idea. Somehow I wonder if it wasn't frequently covered with mud out off-roading. Not inherently stuff that is bad, but always gotta wonder how much care they took when driving it. Dealer started out wanting $32k 3 months ago but because they've had it so long they're down to just over $28k and I got the feeling they had little left to flex on the price but might be able to beat them up for a few hundred. Its only flaw is just that the PO could have ragged on it - but would you be able to tell this from a test drive or would it be more likely to show up later on?

Alternative option is to pay several grand more for a similar one (not an option in my case, I'm at my price range limit), or to go with a more stripped down one (I doubt I'd be happy without the backup camera, heated seats, or that info screen in the gauges - and I want either ELD or 4WD, but both is perfect). lol, the dealer tried to sell me on a new '16 SCrew XLT for $38k after rebates and discounts (MSRP $46k) but there's just no way. I won't raise my budget any higher than $30k, as to be honest I just "want" a truck and the need ain't quite there yet - but will be soon.

Thoughts? Both regarding this specific truck and higher mileage trucks that are still very new? I've seen quite a few nice deals on trucks but their bad is that they were former rentals. They typically have 25k miles or less on them but somehow I imagine they get abused a lot and who knows what the hundreds of drivers did to them since it wasn't theirs. But do trucks hold up to that abuse well enough that it just wouldn't matter? Most people don't just rent a truck to take a trip, it would be to haul something - probably because they don't own a truck.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:02 PM

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts

My #1 concern isn't the miles but why auto start/stop isn't working. If disabled ok, but usually it doesn't work due to a fault code. Possible the p/o disabled it though. Next up is added reese hitch means it doesn't have tow package. How much towing of what done without the extra cooling?
Old 01-30-2017, 11:07 PM
Floydian

Originally Posted by Madcap57
My #1 concern isn't the miles but why auto start/stop isn't working. If disabled ok, but usually it doesn't work due to a fault code. Possible the p/o disabled it though. Next up is added reese hitch means it doesn't have tow package. How much towing of what done without the extra cooling?
Oh sorry, I should've been more clear - it had a reese hitch ball that was still attached to the hitch. It's the factory hitch. At least I assume it is, it had the OEM Trailer Brake in the cab. Didn't think to look for the transmission cooler. It had the two covers next to the license plate for the plug ins. I'm not sure what they towed, but I suspect they towed something if it had a hitch ball still in the hitch. It has the label still attached that says 2" Farm and Ranch, it looks like it was from southern KY. Given the bit of mud in the wheel wells, I'd say someone on a farm probably had it.

EDIT: So I see there's one condition that might have triggered the Auto Start/Stop to not engage. What does it consider moderate for an ambient temperature? It was probably in the 30's-40's F today, I did have the heat on but now I don't remember if I had the defroster on. I might have had the rear one on. I think I switched it to non-defrost at some point though.

If the auto start/stop does work fine and I was just wrong about that, would there be anything else to worry about on it?

Last edited by Reapster; 01-30-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:45 AM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

Personally, I'd stay away from a high mileage truck unless I new the history. If they were the original selling dealer and had all of the service records, that would go a long way towards making me feel better about it.

My truck has over 60,000km on it in less than 18 months, which I know will be an issue if I trade or sell it, so I keep it looking immaculate, and have detailed documentation on everything, including the service history, every tank of fuel, and even every time I've washed it. Yes it's overkill, but will be worth it one day for the person that owns it next.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-31-2017, 01:54 AM

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Reapster
Oh sorry, I should've been more clear - it had a reese hitch ball that was still attached to the hitch. It's the factory hitch. At least I assume it is, it had the OEM Trailer Brake in the cab. Didn't think to look for the transmission cooler. It had the two covers next to the license plate for the plug ins. I'm not sure what they towed, but I suspect they towed something if it had a hitch ball still in the hitch. It has the label still attached that says 2" Farm and Ranch, it looks like it was from southern KY. Given the bit of mud in the wheel wells, I'd say someone on a farm probably had it.

If the auto start/stop does work fine and I was just wrong about that, would there be anything else to worry about on it?
Naw, I hardly ever tow but I leave the ball in all the time. 1) when I do need to tow, its there 2) in case some JA rear ends me, its an extra ~5" before it hits my bumper.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:55 AM
Floydian

Hmm. I found another '15 SCrew 2.7 EB, only 2WD but has ELD, otherwise all the same features (heated seats, sync navigation, remote start, etc.) with about 4,700 miles on it for right at $30k. Looks like a lease vehicle they had for about 1 year, my guess is maybe they didn't drive it enough to keep paying on the lease and just turned it in. But not 4WD. I'm not really planning to off-road, and how often I'd need that 4WD capability I really don't know. I know it's big on resale value though. It's basically a like new truck though, so hard to say.

Is everyone else in agreement on staying away from those 25k mile former rental use trucks? I just am surprised that any rental company rents out these things with 4WD, ELD, 3.5 EB, etc. Aren't rental trucks supposed to be RCabs with the base 3.5, maybe with 4WD? Hate that I have to scroll past about a dozen trucks that might be great if they weren't rentals.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:17 AM

Are you sure its rental and not fleet? I bought a used Ford Explorer fleet vehicle a while back, got it with 100K on it and drove it to 230K before selling it. Now I had insider knowledge on who was driving it prior and knew the miles were mostly highway and no towing but I personally wouldn't rule out that other rig if the options and price are right for you.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:20 AM
Floydian

Yeah, they're definitely rentals like Avis/Budget/Enterprise etc. Some still have the no smoking stickers on the interior. Most are missing the nicer gauge cluster info center which I really like, but otherwise have a lot of nice features. How much abuse can trucks take from absolutely careless people before they show it? I'm sure it's much more than a car, just not sure where it really comes in. Then again most people aren't towing stuff or hauling heavy things with a car.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:28 AM

From my experience, which is not scientific by any stretch, I'd say you will start to see the neglect around 60-100K. No one rents a truck to go to the beach, your talking about renters that are moving/towing things. I would probably stay away from that given that its a rental. Fleet is at least a single owner or two so a little more pride in ownership.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:11 AM

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

XLT doesn't have the fake noise feature.