Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring plan for LED light strips for Interior 2018 F150

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 08:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wiring plan for LED light strips for Interior 2018 F150

Hi, Guys

Been loving my F150. It is my first truck (not sure why it took me this long to pull the trigger)!

I purchased an LED Light strip kit from Amazon and I would like to install then under the dash and under the driver/passenger seats so ideally they will:
  1. The lights come on when the doors are opened and turn off when the doors are shut.
  2. When the ignition is turned on, the lights would come on and remain on until the ignition is turned off.
Ideally, if I open my doors, the lights would come on, when the door is closed they would go off. If I turn on the ignition, the LEDs would come back on and stay on. When the ignition is turned off, the light would go off. When the door is opened, the lights would come back on and when shut, they go off.

I am not an electrical engineer so I could use some guidance. Naturally, I can wire the kit to the car so that when the car is turned on, they come on (Ignition trigger, this is the easy one). I am just not sure how to add another option to work with the car door.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-15-2019, 10:35 AM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

The trim level would be helpful to determine what lights you already have from the factory.
However, even without it, I would suggest finding an interior light that is already functioning just as you want your strip lights to function and use a relay triggered by the positive wire of that light.
Get a relay with a resistor or diode built in.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
The trim level would be helpful to determine what lights you already have from the factory.
However, even without it, I would suggest finding an interior light that is already functioning just as you want your strip lights to function and use a relay triggered by the positive wire of that light.
Get a relay with a resistor or diode built in.
I have the XLT model with the Center Console (shifter). Let me know if that is info you are looking for. Also, I have attached a diagram on my idea on how to wire it. Not sure if this would work or not? What does the relay do? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:28 AM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I think you will need diodes in the 2 power feeds to only allow current flow in one direction and not back feed ignition power to your dome lights or vice versa.
The following users liked this post:
mdomicolo (01-23-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jim_McG
I think you will need diodes in the 2 power feeds to only allow current flow in one direction and not back feed ignition power to your dome lights or vice versa.
That makes sense. If I dont put diodes in, I would suspect the doom lights would come on when the ignition is turned on. That would not be good. Any idea on the type of Diode I would need? Assume the just get installed in the individual red lines to each fuse?
Old 01-15-2019, 12:42 PM

Received 583 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by TPA-F150
That makes sense. If I dont put diodes in, I would suspect the doom lights would come on when the ignition is turned on. That would not be good. Any idea on the type of Diode I would need? Assume the just get installed in the individual red lines to each fuse?
I've used these diodes before. very easy to install

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-15-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TPA-F150
Any idea on the type of Diode I would need? Assume the just get installed in the individual red lines to each fuse?
The link carrierj provided look like they will work - they are rated at 5A. Check your current draw but LEDs usually draw much less. I haven't used those specific ones before, just the kind that get soldered in line. Yes, a diode gets installed in each power feed. Polarity is important - current only flows from the anode to the cathode. Below is some more info:

=center

=centerThe diode circuit symbol, with the anode and cathode marked.

Current through a diode can only flow from the anode to the cathode, which would explain why it’s important for a diode to be connected in the correct direction. Physically, every diode should have some sort of indication for either the anode or cathode pin. Usually the diode will have a line near the cathode pin, which matches the vertical line in the diode circuit symbol.

Below are a few examples of diodes. The top diode, a 1N4001 rectifier, has a grey ring near the cathode. Below that, a 1N4148 signal diode uses a black ring to mark the cathode. At the bottom are a couple surface mount diodes, each of which use a line to mark which pin is the cathode.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:03 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

That is an easy to use product and has its merits, but as added info I'll say diodes cost about $1 at an electronics store....or $0.15 for the top one that Jim posted a link (1N4001).
Old 01-15-2019, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
That is an easy to use product and has its merits, but as added info I'll say diodes cost about $1 at an electronics store....or $0.15 for the top one that Jim posted a link (1N4001).
would the diode rated at 1A be sufficient for each line? Should I also include a smaller in line fuse for each line as well?

I really appreciate all the tips here, the three stores I went to buy my house were worthless, it’s almost like they didn’t want to help me.

Last edited by TPA-F150; 01-15-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:19 PM

Here is my updated wiring diagram: Verifying I have the Diodes pointing the correct way, to eliminate the current flow back to the fuse(s).

Also, I am looking locally for anyone who carries diodes, but running into some snags. Where is Radio Shack when you need them??

I found
this this
on amazon....this should work for the 2 diodes I need.

Thoughts?

The following users liked this post:
Tcpe (01-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Wiring plan for LED light strips for Interior 2018 F150