Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless Charging in Console Lid?

Old 11-16-2017, 09:15 PM
gbk

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Wireless Charging in Console Lid?

So about a month ago I received my iPhone 8... previous phone was broke couldn't wait till the X was released.....anyways I started looking at the options for wireless charging on our F150s, and there's really only about two options either inside the sync drawer or inside the console.

I don't really like those options because the phone is completely out of sight and only one of those allows for CarPlay/Android Auto to be in use unless you run a new wire into the console's glovebox.

I have a friend who own a Sierra Denali and I really liked the wireless charging pad built into the center console lid, so I got to thinking, could we put one of those into our console lid?

So I have a bunch of console lids just laying around for some odd reason and I got to taking one apart, I've only looked at the XLT vinyl version so far but it looks like the Lariat vinyl/leather version might be the same.

Anyways taking apart the lid is pretty easy, it's mostly clipped on but the vinyl looks to be stapled on, the vinyl is not as thick as it might seem and under it is a thick layer of foam which can easily be cut into.

So I looked up the GMC parts from Tasca and I found the console lid tray and rubber mat, around $50 with shipping which ended up costing just as much as both parts but oh well, it might be well worth the experiment.

Also I'll have to buy a wireless charger and take it apart and place the coils under the mat and then run the wires which shouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking about buying one of those triple coil charging pads to get maximum charging surface.

I'm going to try it first on the vinyl lid and if it looks good I'll do it on the leather. Parts are on their way, I'll post back if this little project becomes a success.

I believe the Sierra tray I ordered is black but I think the Yukon tray comes in silver.

Parts
Tray - GM (22792216)
Tray Mat w/Wireless Charging - GM (23264395)
Old 11-16-2017, 09:19 PM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

Old 11-17-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

My coworker bought a Sierra recently. The wireless charging in it is pretty much worthless. It's weak and only will work if he takes the protective case off his phone. Even then, a good bump and the phone moves a bit and breaks the link.

Don't get me wrong, I had a wireless charger with my old phone and loved it, but it still took a while and required pretty precise alignment.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I’d love wireless charging in the truck but without wireless CarPlay, it feels useless.
The following users liked this post:
bennutts (08-19-2021)
Old 11-17-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Wireless charging, and charging in general, is changing rapidly. Just gave up my Motorola Droid Turbo 2 with wireless charging for a Moto Z Force Droid. Didn't want to, but I had a "refresh" that was good for 2 years, basically got a new phone for free (x 2). However, this does not have wireless charging unless I buy a "Moto Mod" for $39.99. Then of course I have to figure out WHAT wireless charging standard it uses (Works on Qi and PMA wireless charging pads.* Dual mode Qi 1.2.3 (10W), PMA 3.0 (5W)), and then check my old wireless charging stand (output is 1A), so in short they are not compatible.

I've found that you need high speed charging to keep up with your screen being on for GoogleMaps for example, so I'd make sure you're a) using compatible wireless technology and b) it's high-speed.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 645 Likes on 352 Posts

Love the idea, and by the sounds of it you should be able to do the mod and make it look factory. That said, being in close proximity, let alone putting it directly under your arm worries me about any long term affects on your forearm/body. These things haven't been out long enough to know any side affects.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:54 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Wireless charging, and charging in general, is changing rapidly. Just gave up my Motorola Droid Turbo 2 with wireless charging for a Moto Z Force Droid. Didn't want to, but I had a "refresh" that was good for 2 years, basically got a new phone for free (x 2). However, this does not have wireless charging unless I buy a "Moto Mod" for $39.99. Then of course I have to figure out WHAT wireless charging standard it uses (Works on Qi and PMA wireless charging pads.* Dual mode Qi 1.2.3 (10W), PMA 3.0 (5W)), and then check my old wireless charging stand (output is 1A), so in short they are not compatible.

I've found that you need high speed charging to keep up with your screen being on for GoogleMaps for example, so I'd make sure you're a) using compatible wireless technology and b) it's high-speed.
Pretty much the same here. My phone only uses PMA charging which I've heard is pretty picky about positioning. And the screen drains the battery faster than a USB charger. I keep a 110V charger and cord in my truck to just plug into the dash. The best use for the power inverter that I've found.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Delete

Last edited by Jim165; 11-17-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Error
Old 11-17-2017, 03:42 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Been using Qi charging for about 6 years now I think. Without a doubt the best of the wireless charging standards, and with the correct chargers you will get good distance and fast charging. I've got a dozen of these chargers in different rooms in the house and at the office and they are the absolute best (so long tangled cables and broken data ports)

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

With regards to distance, I can tape my charger to the bottom of a tabletop and still charge my phone (with a case on it) no issue.

Also with regards to radiation issues, the radiation given off is so negligible if any (plus only happens when actively charging) that you could use the damn thing as a pillow for your whole life without issue. Mine has been on my nightstand next to my head for years and I'm not even that much stupider!

Last edited by berty; 11-17-2017 at 03:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SixShooter14 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 05:52 PM

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Hey guys haven't read whole thread but my thoughts just in case anyone cares.... I have an s7 edge with awesome battery life and fast charging. I though about custom installing my qi wireless charger somewhere, but I though blah forget it. What I just do now is use the ac fast charging wall wort (I have a couple) and plug it in the outlet beside the stereo.... Super fast charging then throw it in the console when not in use. If qi charged as fast as the Samsung plug I'd reconsider but this to me is the best option.

Search this Thread