Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Blades - 2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:38 PM

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Question Wiper Blades - 2 questions

2017 Lariat FX4, 502A with factory blades still going strong, but I have 2 questions:
1. The Passenger blade seems to rest at a different angle than the Driver's side. Both work nicely, but it bugs me to see it not resting evenly like it's brother. Can I adjust this?
2. When it comes time to change the blades, can I use 24" instead of the 22" I have on the truck now? I assume it would add an inch on both ends and the glass has room to accommodate the length. Thoughts?

...oh, and what brand do you guys use? I've heard good things about Bosch and Michelin so far...
Old 07-09-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts

As far as the passenger-side wiper goes, my 2016 wiper parks at quite an angle and is well into my field of view, even though I am fairly tall. It is just very poor engineering. I asked the dealership about fixing it the day I picked up the truck, but they had nothing and the other trucks on the lot were pretty much the same. I am in the camp that believes that the little metal wedge in the arm mount is required to keep the tiny splines on the mounting post from stripping - ice and snow here - so I live with it, annoying as it is. I see no other new (or older) vehicles with this sloppy wiper position. Many wipers on cars and trucks are not even visible from the driver's seat.
I mounted the driver's side arm on the passenger side, just to see how it would look, and it was better, but the passenger one doesn't work properly when on the driver's side, so I would have to buy a driver's-side one to correct the situation, if I really cared.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

Regarding your passenger blade... first off, the alignment key in the spline is simply that, an alignment key. It's there to make the install at the factory go faster so the installer need not fine tune the position. They just slap it on and the key aligns the arm to the same position each time. The key has no use after that unless you like the look of them.

From service manual:
----------------------
If the distance is not within specifications, remove the wiper pivot arm and with a flat-blade screwdriver, remove the alignment key (if equipped). Reposition the wiper pivot arm to specifications. For additional information, refer to Wiper Pivot Arm See: Service and Repair\Wiper Pivot Arms.
NOTE: The alignment key is used for production only. The alignment key does not need to be reinstalled.
----------------------

So, pop the arm off, toss the alignment key then adjust until your heart’s content.
The following 3 users liked this post by seadragon:
itsbry (07-09-2018), jp2012 (07-10-2018), Scooter70 (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 01:35 PM

Received 699 Likes on 440 Posts

Just remove the Alignment key and spring the wiper in the up position and take it off to readjust it lower on the windshield--I did that to my 18 day 1 and have had no issues at all--snow and ice here allot
The following users liked this post:
itsbry (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 02:30 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

1. My passenger wiper seem weaker than the driver side. If I drive above say 60mph plus head wind, my passenger wiper doesn't rest at it's normal position but rather sits a little bit higher up. When I slow down and hit the wipers, it'll fall back and line up with the driver. Both my 2016 and 2018 did this. However, if you're passenger wiper is sitting higher than your driver side at all times, then you need to readjust it (flip wiper arm up, use fingernail to flip and hold tab, pull wiper arm out then readjust).

2. As long as the added length are not hitting the pillars and roof, wouldn't see why not. I've done it before on 2 other vehicles without problems.

3. I prefer factory blades as they are more "low-profiled" since Ford wipers sit obvious on the windshield. Second choice Bosch Icons.
itsbry (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 02:34 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by seadragon
Regarding your passenger blade... first off, the alignment key in the spline is simply that, an alignment key. It's there to make the install at the factory go faster so the installer need not fine tune the position. They just slap it on and the key aligns the arm to the same position each time. The key has no use after that unless you like the look of them.

From service manual:
----------------------
If the distance is not within specifications, remove the wiper pivot arm and with a flat-blade screwdriver, remove the alignment key (if equipped). Reposition the wiper pivot arm to specifications. For additional information, refer to Wiper Pivot Arm See: Service and Repair\Wiper Pivot Arms.
NOTE: The alignment key is used for production only. The alignment key does not need to be reinstalled.
----------------------

So, pop the arm off, toss the alignment key then adjust until your heart’s content.
Thanks for this. My driver's side wiper is parked high and it hits the A-pillar. I took the arm off and saw the key but didn't think it could/should be removed. I'll happily remove it and rotate the arm down a little tonight.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:00 PM

Sweet. Good to know it can be done... thanks for the replies!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:41 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

If you look on the windshield you will see a mark on each side on the bottom, that is where the blade should rest. Almost all the new f150s need to be re-adjusted to the mark after delivery.
itsbry (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 860 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by itsbry
1. The Passenger blade seems to rest at a different angle than the Driver's side. Both work nicely, but it bugs me to see it not resting evenly like it's brother. Can I adjust this?
2. When it comes time to change the blades, can I use 24" instead of the 22" I have on the truck now? I assume it would add an inch on both ends and the glass has room to accommodate the length. Thoughts?
1. I don't think you can expect both blades to be pointed the same way due to the curvature of the base of the windshield. If you measure their distance from the bottom of the windshield, they'll likely be similar on both sides.

2. I use a 26" on the driver side to wipe all the way past where the headliner comes down inside the cab and the blade still remains within the edges of the windshield. I use a 24" on the passenger side because a 26" would be a little too long and not lay flat on the right edge of the windshield.
itsbry (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 08:50 PM

Ha! I see that mark, @futat2! The passenger blade sat about an inch above it... and @seadragon and @icecoldak, that little metal doohickey was there on the passenger side, so I thought it had to be there. I checked the driver side and it was gone... pulled it from the passenger side and adjusted to the aforementioned mark.
@Motorsports One, ...26"??? Hell, I might just try it.

Feels weird hoping for rain just to test it out!
The following 2 users liked this post by itsbry:
futat2 (07-09-2018), seadragon (07-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Wiper Blades - 2 questions