Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Noise Defect on 2015/2016

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

Default Wind Noise Defect on 2015/2016

I'm reading about this wind noise and the problem not being able to be fixed. Is there a solution and has it been corrected. I don't want to be buying a lemon.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 1,267 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Up
I'm reading about this wind noise and the problem not being able to be fixed. Is there a solution and has it been corrected. I don't want to be buying a lemon.
None of us wanted/wants to buy a lemon..all of us want to win the lottery.. You a lucky or unlucky person?

I know in my case the odds are more in favor of getting a lemon and losing the lottery.
But even so this didn't stop me from buying a F150 and I would buy it again.
But I did so far win on the wind noise with my 2015. I have a SuperCab which helps. But my 2002 SuperCab had a bad wind noise on the highway with a strong cross wind blowing from left to right. It would make the passenger door sound like a trumpet. I ended up adding foam weather stripping to that door.

Last edited by Livoniabob; 04-10-2016 at 12:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kendive (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 12:48 PM

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Mike...my advice is to keep your 2012 if it is in good shape and still meets your needs. The quality on these trucks seems to be hit and miss and there are too many first run problems. I've got a 15 Supercab XL 5.0 4x4 with ticking transfer case, wind noise and jiggling driver's door. What do I like you might ask?...best looking new trucks on the road, 5.0 sounds great with plenty of power and highway ride is great. If I were you, I'd wait another year or two. Lou.
The following 2 users liked this post by NCLou:
15platinumfx4 (04-10-2016), kendive (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by NCLou
Mike...my advice is to keep your 2012 if it is in good shape and still meets your needs. The quality on these trucks seems to be hit and miss and there are too many first run problems. I've got a 15 Supercab XL 5.0 4x4 with ticking transfer case, wind noise and jiggling driver's door. What do I like you might ask?...best looking new trucks on the road, 5.0 sounds great with plenty of power and highway ride is great. If I were you, I'd wait another year or two. Lou.
You can fix your jiggling driver do in about 5mins, if you haven't already tried. It a simple as marking door with pen, loosening one bolt and moving the door 1-2mm.

As far as wind noise, mines on par with everything else I test drove. I think my 15 is quieter then my 14.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:49 PM

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I've driven lots of trucks over the years (even drove a caddy pickup truck once). My early built '15 Lariat is the quietest truck I've ever been in. There is wind noise at highway speeds, and gusts that blow the truck around are louder, but no trumpets and no worse than anything else on the road.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Noticed this list on another thread, has a few more issues than wind noise.

Originally Posted by Rexey
Ok everyone don't flame me but do you really want a Toyota guy screaming im going back to Toyota 10 mins after he buys his truck??? Let's just say you've been told. I'm still buying because it's what I want. You decided to post instead of doing any searching. So I'm helping. If you still decide it's what you want... Then welcome to the family.
Originally Posted by k.b.
Is there someone who has been paying attention better than I who can add to the list of issues one should check before signing on the dotted line when picking up a new truck? Here is what I have so far:

List of Issues

Visual Inspection

· Visible paint problems, (door jambs) cracks,malformed body panels
· Check the space between the cab/ bed, make sure the gap is the same both sides.
· Cab/bed alignment
· Check if door gap is even, door alignments
· Climb into the bed and look down into the rooffor paint or malformation
· Hood/cowl /fender alignment / interference
· Tailgate alignment
· Sheet Metal smoothness ( especially @ doorhandles )
· Cracked window moldings
· Cowl joint weatherstrip
· Check keypad orientation
· Tailgate remote opening - sticking
· Tailgate damper - missing
· Roof gutter seam
· Frowning bumper :-(
· Check intake tube clamps for tightness
· Open/close doors, hood, tailgate

Under side

· Oil leaks, stains under the truck
· Differential leaks/seeping
· Rust on frame, drive line, etc
· F/R Differential rust
· Check door sticker for ORDERED axle code L9 (3.55 ELD )
· check the heat shield material glued to bottomof the truck bed.

Interior

· leaks on the carpet, stains
· Sunroof leakage (do the carwash)
· discoloration of glove box
· Rear seat center armrest fits flush
· Try All Seatbelts - extension problems
· Check the dashboard for any warps above the instrument cluster by the VIN plate and around the area of the passenger side airbag

Operation/drive tests

· Check NAV map version - should be latest (A6?)
· Check presence/ absence of heat/cooled seat controls on Climate Control screen.
· Console Rattle
· rattle noise at startup
· rattles in the dash
· rattles in the back seats, moonroof, front, rear doors
· wind noise, door, cabin
· Wind noise from top passenger side of windshieldor front door seals
· Shaking mirrors
· cooled (heated) seats that don't work
· Torque convertor whine noise
· Drifting to the right (or left) on flat level roads(check tire pressure first)
· 4x4 operation grinding clunking

Long term issues

· leather seat stretch(may take time)
· Be aware of possible adaptive cruise control issues
· Check for the rear end bumping to the side whengoing over bumps
· harsh downshift going from 5th - 4th (tsb may fix)
· Door/locks that freeze in cold weather after moisture is introduced
· Tailgate step pops up by itself (by half of aninch) over bumps

Drive it on a smooth road to listen for air leaks and test tracking, drive it on a bumpy road to listen for rattles and hums, take it thru a car wash to check for leaks(sunroof).

Climb on it, under it, and go all around it. TAKE YOUR TIME!

Anything you can find before you "pay the loot" will be easier to correct than later (if ever in some cases)
Updated above j
Old 04-10-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Up
Hi Mike,

Regarding the wind noise issues, a bunch of folks are trying to solve it on their own, some with good success, others not so much. If you can hold off for a year or so, Ford may quietly correct the issue on the newer trucks... For reference my 2015 is an excellent truck in many ways, but it is a lot noisier inside than the GM and RAM half tons, no comparison really. The GM twins and the RAM 1500 are much better to drive at highways speeds. My 2010 F150 was a bank vault quiet compared to the 2015. If you live north, where is drops below 0, there are a number of cold weather issues as well.

Anyhow, great truck, with a few common issues that need to be corrected to make it perfect.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:47 PM

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm hoping for a fix. It totally ruins the absolute best truck otherwise I've owned. It's absolutely unacceptable to have an issue like this on a 2016 truck. I'm embarrassed for Ford, all the guys at work laugh at me adjusting doors before I go home, adding weather stripping, unplugging stuff, removing this that and the other thing. It's become the laughing stock of the office but on the other hand a great campaign for any other truck maker because everyone that works at our place agrees they will never buy a Ford.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:52 PM

Received 368 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by NCLou
Oh come on give Ford a break this is a first year model. You know it's gonna have problems... LOL

Kidding aside...

Very good advice keep what you have for a very long time. I wish I did.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:08 PM

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,699 Posts

A dealership near the house has 8 15's or better in a row on their used car lot! It's not a Ford dealer!

Quick Reply: Wind Noise Defect on 2015/2016