Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will be ordering 2018 XLT Screw 4x4: Should I go 5.0 or 3.5EB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Will be ordering 2018 XLT Screw 4x4: Should I go 5.0 or 3.5EB?

Hey guys, I was set on getting the 5.0 because I felt it would be more reliable and cheaper to maintain in the long run. But now with the 16 injectors and some guys having some issues it's making me wonder if I should go the more modern, more powerful (torque at least) 3.5EB route instead. I likely won't be towing anything so that's not an issue. I Just like a powerful truck.

What do you think in terms of long term reliability and costs? Is the new 5.0 still definitely the way to go, or is the difference now not that significant?

Initial cost difference is a non-issue for me.

Any other considerations, or thoughts please feel free...
Old 02-18-2018, 11:05 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Buy the one you want.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 11:19 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Or read the dozens of posts debating the issue, with no clear winner...
BCMIF150 (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 11:23 AM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Personal Choice, Both Good Engines! If you tow very big loads the Ecoboost may have the edge as it has more torque in the RPM range one normally drives. This discussion has been held before and is like the old Chevy or Ford argument. Drive them both and see which one you like best. I have had both, a couple of the earlier 3.5 Ecoboosts, one 5.0, and now the 2017 2nd generation 3.5 Ecoboost, The 5.0 engine is fine but went back to the Ecoboost because it pulls the travel trailer much easier than the 5.0, pulls at lower RPM and with much less shifting. Others will argue differently but that's my experience. Have not had any mechanical trouble with any of the F150's.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the 3.5 EB. I have loved mine.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:35 AM
Load and Charge

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

You’ll never get an answer from anyone that will give you your right choice. It’s like Pepsi vs Coke or Chevy vs Ford. The two engines are so closely matched, it really boils down to your personal taste and use.

I had a 13’ Eco FX4 that I just sold to order a 18’ 5.0 FX4. There was nothing wrong with the eco at all, it had 50k miles on it and ran like a top. What it really came down to is me... I’m an American muscle car guy, I’ve been a drag racer and street race car builder since I was 16. The V8 stigma and of corse the sound, are what I wanted. I don’t pull anything and I don’t care about payload, the fuel mileage is pretty comparable and my eco never got anywhere near advertised mpg so in the end, I ordered what “I like” and what I’m comfortable maintaining and repairing. I have always done all my own work and I know the Ford modular engine inside and out.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:52 AM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by kbreese
Hey guys, I was set on getting the 5.0 because I felt it would be more reliable and cheaper to maintain in the long run. But now with the 16 injectors and some guys having some issues it's making me wonder if I should go the more modern, more powerful (torque at least) 3.5EB route instead. I likely won't be towing anything so that's not an issue. I Just like a powerful truck.

What do you think in terms of long term reliability and costs? Is the new 5.0 still definitely the way to go, or is the difference now not that significant?

Initial cost difference is a non-issue for me.

Any other considerations, or thoughts please feel free...
reliability is good on both. very diff power delivery. one has gobs of power right off of idle and has a pretty flat torque curve, the other has far less power down low but it builds in the mid rpm range and has plenty from there up. the eco will shift down far less because it has more torque and doesn't need rpms to access power, while the 5.0 will shift down to find the extra oomph. so, how do you drive....
Old 02-18-2018, 12:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Asking this question is like going into an ice cream store and asking the other people there if you should get chocolate or vanilla. It is a personal choice that only you can make. This subject has been debated to death on these forums. Bottom line is go test drive both and make your decision based on what you feel is right for you.

By the way, when I test drove my truck almost 6 months ago, I never even drove a 5.0 because I knew right away that the 3.5 Eco was right for me. Good luck.
BCMIF150 (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 12:26 PM

Received 493 Likes on 235 Posts

I previously owned a 5.0 SCREW, got it for many of the reasons guys mention here. The sound, the feel, its a "truck", Merica', etc etc. It was a great motor and I have no complaints about it.

I decided to go 3.5 TT on the 2018 I just got. Yes I miss the sound of the 5.0, no doubt. However, 470 ft/lbs of torque at 2500 RPM.....nothing compares. The truck is stupid fast without having to rev the **** out of it.

I am a person that loves the sound a car makes, so it takes something pretty special to get me in anything else. The instant gobs of torque on the 3.5TT ultimately provides more smiles per gallon than the sound of the V8.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I got the 3.5TT, love it. Going to sound like a monster fart when I get the Borla ATAK though. Oh well. I too was an old track racer and nothing compares to the sound of a V8, BUT the power of the 3.5TT is awesome!

Both engines compare nicely. It's personal preference bro! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Will be ordering 2018 XLT Screw 4x4: Should I go 5.0 or 3.5EB?