Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a Major TSB Affect Resale

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 08:05 AM

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Will a Major TSB Affect Resale

A few of us are experiencing "issues" with our trucks. Will having a major TSB performed on your truck, like long block replacement, engine rattle, etc affect resale/trade-in value.
I can't help but think that if you wanted to trade in your truck for another Ford that they would have records of what was done and could affect the value. CarFax also lists service reports, but not in detail.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:12 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FDHog
A few of us are experiencing "issues" with our trucks. Will having a major TSB performed on your truck, like long block replacement, engine rattle, etc affect resale/trade-in value.
I can't help but think that if you wanted to trade in your truck for another Ford that they would have records of what was done and could affect the value. CarFax also lists service reports, but not in detail.
I think as long as the TSB has been succesfully completed it shouldn't be an issue. For a trade in, I doubt it would ba an issue at all. Resale might be another issue, as long as you keep the proof of the repair, a new buyer should be good with the fix and you they always discuss the success of the TSB with you, before buying.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:28 AM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyslide
I think as long as the TSB has been succesfully completed it shouldn't be an issue. For a trade in, I doubt it would ba an issue at all. Resale might be another issue, as long as you keep the proof of the repair, a new buyer should be good with the fix and you they always discuss the success of the TSB with you, before buying.
Agree completely. In probably 90% of sales the buyer won't even look it up. But even if they did, as long as the work is performed by an authorized dealer most people will be fine with it.

I would be FAR more worried about buying a used Mustang from a 20 year old that is on its third set of tires in three years than I would a well maintained F-150 that has had any mechanical issues corrected.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:38 AM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

If the procedure was done last week?

I'd be deeply suspicious.

If done 5yrs ago much less so.
The following users liked this post:
77Ranger460 (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 08:51 AM

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

The TSB/Recall I would be concerned with on this model are the locks and latches freezing and living in cold weather. That problem has been ongoing a long time without a true fix. The bigger the problem and longer it goes on the larger the impact. Currently this model year Ford F150 has had quality problems and it is showing up in the reliability and TSBs. Long term if Ford doesn't get it fixed it will affect future sales and will have an impact on resale value. Generally speaking overall reliability affects resale value more then anything else. It is why you see a Honda Accord sale for same price as older F150/F250 when it cost half or less when brand new.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:03 AM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by FDHog
Not all dealers list service reports to Carfax, so it might be a non-issue. If you're trading it for another Ford, how are they going to knock you for their own defective truck? That would be pretty douchey of them.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:23 AM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

I'd be more concerned about owner's who live with certain issues or aren't experiencing the issue and not have the TSB's performed.

For example, i don't and never had the frozen door lock thing possibly because my truck is barn parked or is not my daily driver.
Got two notices from Ford for the frozen lock TSB and ignored them both.
Right or wrong, my issue with that frozen lock TSB is 'if it works don't fix it' and tearing apart the door panels could create other unintended non-related issues.

Quick Reply: Will a Major TSB Affect Resale