Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are we Forscan'n at all

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 02:35 PM
2018 F150 XL

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Why are we Forscan'n at all

A few weeks ago I went out and purchased a new F150. I have learned quickly in here, join Forscan and start making changes. I've added keypad entry, I"ll be adding a sync 3 radio and I've made a few changes with the chimes, aux power changes and so on.
But there are guys adding heated steering wheels, hill descend, and lots of other options they want.
What I don't understand is if these changes can be made with a tool like Forscan why not make these changes or options, options, which can be available through a dealer?
Why do we have to become computer coders to change how long our power outlets stay live after the truck is turned off?
Old 04-09-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 178 Likes on 147 Posts

Oh man, wow, don't know where to begin.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugsiegel
A few weeks ago I went out and purchased a new F150. I have learned quickly in here, join Forscan and start making changes. I've added keypad entry, I"ll be adding a sync 3 radio and I've made a few changes with the chimes, aux power changes and so on.
But there are guys adding heated steering wheels, hill descend, and lots of other options they want.
What I don't understand is if these changes can be made with a tool like Forscan why not make these changes or options, options, which can be available through a dealer?
Why do we have to become computer coders to change how long our power outlets stay live after the truck is turned off?
because as far as i know, the IDS can only do ''as-built'' , not make changes except from the programmable parameters section

@Rnlcomp might know for sure
Old 04-09-2019, 03:09 PM

Received 540 Likes on 449 Posts

in short, they build for the masses.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:28 PM

Received 430 Likes on 329 Posts

Simple answer - becasue marketing, legal and dealer lobby organizations. mostly marketing and legal though.

biggest thing I'm still pissed over - is the lack of a built in diagnostic mode. There is no reason you can't put in place a 2 or 3 step activation process that turns on superuser mode.

Then you can see all the ID's in the system and read the status of the car. have electrical issue - check out the BMS parameters from the driver display - hey look there commanded alternator output is 14V but actual is 12 - that's why the light came on. . . . . .

I mean sure not everyone needs to know that info - which is why I say make is a process to get into - but you shouldn't need another paid diagnostic tool when you car has the decoder right - put the menus in the system. This would help shops too - sure you still need the tools for other features. but any tech could go out to any car and read diag info and basic troubleshotting while whomever is using the IDS tool on another car etc etc.

But I know I'm weird.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

That would be so nice to have factory testing and debug info in a hidden area of the sync system.

PLUS if they could show detailed performance stats (like Dodge's power pages but with more info) for all of the sensor info in the truck in real time plus dynamic tuning adaptations, etc., I'd be in heaven.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:47 PM
Worst hairday ever...

Received 253 Likes on 165 Posts

If they wanted to they could easily put a readout of the CEL code on the instrument cluster or APIM. But they don't. Instead they have a CEL idiot light that lights up and has no information.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:53 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by 02fx4dude
If they wanted to they could easily put a readout of the CEL code on the instrument cluster or APIM. But they don't. Instead they have a CEL idiot light that lights up and has no information.
Can't do that. Dealers might lose out on their $150 diagnostic fee.
The following users liked this post:
cthusker (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 03:56 PM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Part of the reason is compliance, such as with not being able to completely disable Auto Start/Stop. Some of it has to do with making money, such as those that maybe moved up to a 502A Lariat just for the LED headlights, but had to pay $7k in other stuff they maybe didn't care about to get there. If you could just go to a dealer with your 302A XLT and get the Headlight package and have it activated for $800, Ford would lose out on a big chunk of money.

Beyond that, there is the simple fact that a huge, HUGE, majority don't want those things and by extension complain about them being available if they are. You can see it in threads here, people looking for ways to eliminate auto start/stop, or remove AM from their radio because they don't use it. Sometimes too many options is too much for people that either don't understand something, or can't be bothered to because they made up their mind about it well ahead of time.

The new Kia Telluride has an almost comical amount of in-dash customization options, including being able to change the speed in which the rear liftgate closes when you hit the button. I think that's great, but I know plenty of family members that would just be frustrated by not being able to just turn the key and not worry about anything more.

It's also part of why Toyota sells countless appliance level Camrys and Corolas despite them being some of the most uninspiring and boring vehicles ever made. For many people, less is more.
The following users liked this post:
2018 reg cab (04-10-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 05:01 PM

Received 1,330 Likes on 797 Posts

Even my motorcycle has full diagnostics from the dash. You can only make a limited number of changes, but you can see pretty much anything in the CAN Bus.

Quick Reply: Why are we Forscan'n at all