Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Is It So Difficult To Find A Decent Tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 PM

Received 390 Likes on 149 Posts

Default Why Is It So Difficult To Find A Decent Tonneau Cover

I am beyond frustrated with the choices regarding tonneau covers. I just purchased a 2016 Platinum and am trying to find a hard folding or roll top cover that doesn't leak or have usability compromises. I have friends with the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 and Encore, Undercover Flex, Truxedo Titanium, Fold A Cover G4, Retrax, and most of the Bak products. Not one of them is completely happy with their cover. Dented aluminum, noisy while driving and failing seals are some of the more common complaints. I have read pretty much every tonneau thread on the site and see similar complaints. I thought the Fold A Cover made the most sense till I helped a co-worker replace two hinge seals. What a ridiculous and time consuming process drilling out and replacing numerous rivets. I don't want a cover that permanently reduces bed access like the Retrax nor ones that fold up and completely cover the back window. You would think there is some better idea out there. Especially for the cost of some of these covers. I'd like one that doesn't leak, is quickly removable so I can fully utilize the bed and one that allows me to use the remote tailgate. Thoughts? Thank you.

James
The following users liked this post:
Agri-Cover, Inc. (02-11-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 09:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Leer makes a pretty sweet looking Tonneau if you ask me.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had my Extang Solid Fold on the last three trucks and absolutely love it. I think the best part of it is how quickly I can pull it off (solo) and throw it in the garage. Mine doesn't leak and it creates a nice and secure seal when all the way closed.

I'd love to buy the updated version but mine works well enough that I can't justify it. Had it since 2013 and am very happy. Came from a Roll'N'Lock and that was on my Tundra and that was a great option as well....just a little to spendy to buy again.
BCMIF150 (02-12-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a new 2015 Lariat early this winter and after some extensive research settled on a DiamondBack SE and love it (so far). It cost a bit more than I originally planned but it is quite secure, weathertight (in Pacific NW winters), strong and relatively "removable" (three pieces with the front and back being foldable and removable). I it works great for my needs.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:33 PM
Gunfighter

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My parents and I both have Access. Superior quality. I'm new to my truck but they have never had any issues with it and neither have I when I've used it.

Last edited by jkmyers556; 02-09-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i have an access vanish and it seals great and looks great....the only water that gets in is around the tailgate, but thats because there just a lot of gaps in the taligate door, not the covers fault....i even put a tailgate seal but it still lets a little water in, if you look at the tailgate there are rubber stoppers that keep the tailgate from hitting the bed, this creates about a 3/4 inch gap. imo no cover will be completely sealed unless there is a solution for the tailgate gaps. but under normal driving in the rain...almost no water gets in.... a high pressure car wash however does let some water in, not too much though.

Last edited by chancejat; 02-09-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Bak X2 Revolver and it is the best of both worlds. No leaks, no odd noises when driving and it looks good. I installed it myself, and everything is perfect. I think a lot of peoples issues are improper installation of their tonneau cover.
The following 3 users liked this post by Matt Jones:
1NiceHarley (02-11-2016), baldguy13 (11-13-2017), Speedmonkey (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 10:45 PM

Received 2,958 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by kngelv
I am beyond frustrated with the choices regarding tonneau covers. I just purchased a 2016 Platinum and am trying to find a hard folding or roll top cover that doesn't leak or have usability compromises. I have friends with the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 and Encore, Undercover Flex, Truxedo Titanium, Fold A Cover G4, Retrax, and most of the Bak products. Not one of them is completely happy with their cover. Dented aluminum, noisy while driving and failing seals are some of the more common complaints. I have read pretty much every tonneau thread on the site and see similar complaints. I thought the Fold A Cover made the most sense till I helped a co-worker replace two hinge seals. What a ridiculous and time consuming process drilling out and replacing numerous rivets. I don't want a cover that permanently reduces bed access like the Retrax nor ones that fold up and completely cover the back window. You would think there is some better idea out there. Especially for the cost of some of these covers. I'd like one that doesn't leak, is quickly removable so I can fully utilize the bed and one that allows me to use the remote tailgate. Thoughts? Thank you. James
Yup...especially for what they sell for!
I'm going to make my own!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Jones
I have the Bak X2 Revolver and it is the best of both worlds. No leaks, no odd noises when driving and it looks good. I installed it myself, and everything is perfect. I think a lot of peoples issues are improper installation of their tonneau cover.
what he said!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Jones
+1 on the Revolver X2. I'm a savant with a keyboard, and an idiot with a wrench. I self-installed and have been super pleased with it.

Clean/flush look. No drilling. Secure. Can see out the back when rolled up. No water intrusion that I've experienced. No noises or rattling. And if I reeeeally want to take it off, I think it's 4 screws.

If I had a do-over, I'd buy it again.

Quick Reply: Why Is It So Difficult To Find A Decent Tonneau Cover