Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why didn't ford .....

Old 01-14-2019, 04:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Why didn't ford .....

Why didn't ford have the electronic emergency brake automatically set when the truck is put in park and release when taken out of park? This would be a great feature.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:25 AM

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Cost would be my guess. Some may use it a lot, others not so much. Me, in the 15 months I have had this truck I can remember using it twice.
Another question related, when did it become an "emergency" brake? Always before it was a Parking brake. Did something else change?
By the way, my 1976 Cadillac, the only way to set park brake was transmission in park and push park brake pedal with foot. To Release park brake (only way) with engine running shift transmission out of park.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:16 AM

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

I never use mine and having it automatically engage would be one more thing to go wrong.
and we always called it the emergency brake
Old 01-14-2019, 06:45 AM

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dms1
Why didn't ford have the electronic emergency brake automatically set when the truck is put in park and release when taken out of park? This would be a great feature.
My Wife's Lexus does it this way, I agree with you, it would have been nice if Ford did it too.
I was hoping there was a way to set it using Forscan, but I was told no when I asked on the Forscan thread.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:52 AM

Received 5,988 Likes on 3,552 Posts

Because everything that you think is great as a feature someone else thinks is awful. There would be an outcry of nanny state comments here.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:25 AM

Received 563 Likes on 402 Posts

I would like to see this feature also. Lexus does give the driver the option to disable the feature.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:37 AM

Received 5,988 Likes on 3,552 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubbabiker
I would like to see this feature also. Lexus does give the driver the option to disable the feature.
Apparently Lexus doesn't have whiny owners like Ford does. "But I have to push the button each time after I start the truck..." "Why can't I hit the memory button while I'm driving?" "Why does the tailgate lock also?" (keeping in mind that prior to adding this feature, posters complained that the tailgate did not lock when locking the doors) "Having all the doors autolock at speed to keep us safer in a crash is just the gubermint trying to interfere in our lives". And more...
Old 01-14-2019, 07:39 AM

Received 3,521 Likes on 1,689 Posts

What's a parking brake?

I'm serious. If you ever managed a vehicle fleet, you know that average peep ain't got no eyedear what a park brake is or that they need to release it before launching. That's why Ford put the auto release park brake on the Interceptor Crown Vics.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,112 Likes on 2,823 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018 reg cab
Cost would be my guess. Some may use it a lot, others not so much. Me, in the 15 months I have had this truck I can remember using it twice.
Another question related, when did it become an "emergency" brake? Always before it was a Parking brake. Did something else change?
By the way, my 1976 Cadillac, the only way to set park brake was transmission in park and push park brake pedal with foot. To Release park brake (only way) with engine running shift transmission out of park.
sounds like my 68 Tbird. little vacuum actuator on the pedal
Old 01-14-2019, 07:59 AM

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

"Why didnt...." and "What ifs..." are pretty synonymous. We were tagged on Christmas evening by someone driving beyond the capabilities of their Dakota pickup sending us down an embankment on I-69 in Michigan. Once we came to a stop, courtesy of the branches of tree I noticed the engine still running but the emergency brake was on. Briefly, we were unhurt but shaken, Attempts to disengage the Emergency brake with the switch were unsuccessful until the engine was shut off and restarted. May be it is stated in the manual someplace but
  • Why did not the message center inform me why it was automatically engaged & how to disengage it?
  • Why does the transmission default to Normal Driving mode each time the engine is restarted? It would be nice to be able to select the mode especially if you are towing and the pigtail is plugged in.
  • Why doesnt Ford produce an Electronic Manual (only) for each vehicle based solely on the VIN or options so you dont see the IF Equipped connotations? It could be loaded into the vehicle.
There are probably several more items to be added to the list but I have to start my day.... take care all and thanks to all those who make our vehicles as safe as they are.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why didn't ford .....