Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who here traded their newer Ram for a new F150

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Who here traded their newer Ram for a new F150

I've always been a Ford guy. In the last 7 years I've had a 13, 15, and a 17 F150. I've had two 11 mustangs, a 15 and 17 mustang and a 14 escape and this doesn't include the Fords I've owned before that time. As you can see I've been pretty loyal to Ford because I've always had a good experience with them up until my current 17 F150.

My current F150 is a POS it's been in for warranty work more than all my other vehicles combined. I know that means I should just unload this one for another F150, which I did look at a couple king ranch and platinum's, but I've also looked at other brands. The GM and Toyota crowd are missing out, they are far behind Ford, which I'm sure the 19 GM's will close the gap. On the other hand Ram makes my current F150 like what it is, a POS . When I get this truck out of service it's getting traded more than likely.

For those that have traded their newer Ram for a F150 I'd like to know why.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin Snailz
My current F150 is a POS it's been in for warranty work more than all my other vehicles combined. I know that means I should just unload this one for another F150..
Yup, time to kick that POS to the curb.

I experimented with other brands to understand which would be best. My answer was the car/truck market is very dynamic. A leader in a segment today doesn't mean it'll be the same next year or the next. Competition is fierce in the marketplace. Maybe Ram is a viable alternative for a few years or so until GM and Ford work out the new upcoming generation of trucks. In any case, look at the resale value of which ever brand you decide to try - it will be a real impact on true cost of ownership.
The following users liked this post:
FX4* (01-18-2019)
Old 08-19-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

I traded in my '14 Hemi that I bought new for my '18 f150. My previous truck before the '14 Ram was an '04 Ram that I bought new as well. Still have that truck with 280k miles.

Just wanted a change after driving a Ram for 14 years. Unfortunately, with this erratic 10sp and the clunk at start up, I wish I hadn't.
The following users liked this post:
10sne1 (01-18-2019)
Old 08-19-2018, 11:44 AM
2023 402a Tremor

Received 134 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by big_ole_truck
Yup, time to kick that POS to the curb.

I experimented with other brands to understand which would be best. My answer was the car/truck market is very dynamic. A leader in a segment today doesn't mean it'll be the same next year or the next. Competition is fierce in the marketplace. Maybe Ram is a viable alternative for a few years or so until GM and Ford work out the new upcoming generation of trucks. In any case, look at the resale value of which ever brand you decide to try - it will be a real impact on true cost of ownership.
Looking in the rear view I'd say the f150 has a good track record of leading. I am intrigued by the new ram but not sold on it until more time passes and get solid feedback from owners.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Been said a million times, they all have issues. Sadly the forums are filled more with the one time complainers (like this one) than the folks that want to discuss/learn about their trucks.

Be careful with a new gen Fiat. Here's some feedback for ya. Also, my best friend ordered one. Was delivered about 2 months ago. I saw it the day he brought it home and haven't seen it since. Been at the dealer.... he won't even talk to me about it. Only good part is he owns 14 different cars he rotates driving except for a couple of the classics he just shows.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/201...thread.123294/ - Just the tip of the iceberg as there aren't even that many out there yet. Lets give them credit for a couple hundred thousand?

There are probably close to 3 mil. 2015+ F150's There are going to be issues and what seems like a higher % simply because there are way way more of them.

Jus some thought from someone with a 2015 that has been flawless.
The following 2 users liked this post by idrive:
Joe Friday (01-18-2019), ThanksInAdvance (02-01-2019)
Old 08-19-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by idrive
Been said a million times, they all have issues. Sadly the forums are filled more with the one time complainers (like this one) .
Well said.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

I wasn't going to even chime in on this one because it has already been well said that they all can have their issues. Some seemingly, have more only because there are more of them sold. I've had one issue with my F150 and that was fairly insignificant. The backup camera. Fixed and no issues since. My first brand new vehicle I bought was a '90 Toyota SR5 4x4 extra cab. It served me well for the 9 years and a bit over 100k miles driven right up until it blew the head gaskets. This was an issue for Toyota for both the I4 and V6 engines of which only the V6 engine was covered for what I call the 'silent recall'. If you had the other engine, you were just SOL. It was then that I realized I needed a second vehicle as this issue caused a major inconvenience. Since that time, I have bought nothing but Fords, Mustangs, a Ranger, an Explorer and my current F150. That camera mentioned earlier is the only issue I had with any of my Fords. As with all things, it can be the luck of the draw at times. Sometimes, you get a lemon. I knock on wood.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by MDXLT
I wasn't going to even chime in on this one because it has already been well said that they all can have their issues. Some seemingly, have more only because there are more of them sold. I've had one issue with my F150 and that was fairly insignificant. The backup camera. Fixed and no issues since. My first brand new vehicle I bought was a '90 Toyota SR5 4x4 extra cab. It served me well for the 9 years and a bit over 100k miles driven right up until it blew the head gaskets. This was an issue for Toyota for both the I4 and V6 engines of which only the V6 engine was covered for what I call the 'silent recall'. If you had the other engine, you were just SOL. It was then that I realized I needed a second vehicle as this issue caused a major inconvenience. Since that time, I have bought nothing but Fords, Mustangs, a Ranger, an Explorer and my current F150. That camera mentioned earlier is the only issue I had with any of my Fords. As with all things, it can be the luck of the draw at times. Sometimes, you get a lemon. I knock on wood.
Take a look at this thread and tell me these are just one off items by people just coming here to complain. This is a truck I ordered to suit my needs and refused to accept it after a week and a half of service chasing their tails. This is nothing but poor QC and attention to the customer on Ford's part. Posts #21, 29, 34, 38, 49 & 51 tell the story in the thread. https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2018-...422465/index2/
Old 08-19-2018, 02:12 PM

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts

You want to go from Ford to Chrysler/Fiat....Good Luck.
Take this from someone who has gone through 5 Jeeps and a Challenger SRT.
Electrical gremlins came with every one of them. Creaking and brakes and lousy shifting (auto)
The fit and finish on the SRT was below par.
My son in law traded in his Ram on a 2018 F150 and couldn't be happier.
I've owned 5 F150's (all V-8) and 2 Diesel 250's. All great trucks.
The only Ford I had any issues with was the 2018 Explorer EcoPooP I traded in after 8 months.
Low speed throttle response was horrible and the eco would surge.
Right now I have 1100 miles on my 2 week old Lariat 5.0. Do I think it needs a 10spd, NO, but I'll get used to it.
You think these trucks have problems, go to the Corvette Forum and look at all the problems the Auto 8spd has.
Glad I got the manual.
DIdn't want the pano roof, but hard, almost impossible, to find a 502a without one.
Hopefully this truck will turn out to be as good as my last one.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:32 PM

Received 2,959 Likes on 1,649 Posts

If I had to buy a new truck tomorrow I'd probably not buy another Ford. Not because of anything said by anyone on this forum.
Solely based on my own experiences.

80,000 miles and two timing chains later, along with a few other odds and ends like IWEs, etc.
Its not only Ford but dam it would be nice if there were fixes to some of these issues.

Quick Reply: Who here traded their newer Ram for a new F150