Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has traded to a lower trim/package?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 01:15 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Who has traded to a lower trim/package?

I am considering moving into a 2018 XLT 302a 4WD/2WD or Lariat 501a 2WD from a 2016 502a 4WD for a couple of different reasons that matter little to this discussion. I can afford more, but I have a personal limit to what I am willing to spend. I don't need any opinions on what a waste of money a Lariat is, you need 4WD, etc. I just question how I will feel on the long term after already having all the extras. Surely others have done the same for whatever reason. How did it feel to you? Regrets later?

I like the leather but it wouldn't bother me to not have it. I can live without the upgraded stereo. I know I would be fine without the 4WD as it rarely snows here and I haven't needed to go off road (but like the idea of a free level by removing the rear blocks). It is nice to know it is there, though. The push button tailgate is not often of use for me. The side lights and such are nice but not of much benefit in general.

Things I question missing most are the factory LED headlights. I like them! Also not having push button start on a XLT. And although I always still turn to look, BLIS is a nice extra. I also really like the center console shifter (which could be had with a sport package on the XLT). There is just something about it. My last big one is the automatic climate control. Sure, I can manually change it, but not having to is a plus.

So, how has it been for those that have done it?
Old 03-19-2018, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually did the exact opposite. I went from a 501 to a 502 and I love all of the extra stuff I was missing, however I was considering an alt 302a from my 501 packaged lariat. The new XLT's are pretty nice now the way that you can build them. With that in mind by the time you are done you could end up being well over 50K for a XLT. IMO id rather spend nearly the same amount of money and just stay in a lariat. If you are looking to cut the payment back a couple bucks maybe explore a 501a packaged truck, personally I did not want to go back to cloth seats and loose certain pieces of technology that the XLT trim just doesn't offer.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:25 PM

Received 699 Likes on 440 Posts

You "SAY" you wont miss them till you get the lower trim truck and you will realize how much you miss the extras and you will want to upgrade again!! Dont Kid yourself!
Old 03-19-2018, 01:25 PM

Received 493 Likes on 235 Posts

My last truck was an FX4, the previous generation where FX4 was actually a trim level above the Lariat. Now I am in a new XLT 302A Sport.

Back then the FX4 was the main way to get a nice trim with painted bumpers and console shifter. Now you can get all that with the XLT Sport. Like you though the LED headlights are a must so that is the first thing I addressed on my XLT and now I have the factory LED headlights on my 2018. And I plan on doing Katzkins (which is nicer than factory leather anyway). Other than that there is nothing that I really miss and while I can afford it I could never justify another 10-12k for the Lariat.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I went from a 2013 XLT 4x4 to a 2018 XL STX 2WD and couldn't be happier. I rarely used 4WD and the XL actually has better features since it's newer and I paid less in 2018 than I did in 2013. I have added the aftermarket stuff I want to mine (lift, wheels, tires, led bulbs, led tails, etc.) without paying for the extra stuff I don't need like console shifter, push button start, pano roof, etc.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by sik02gt
If you are looking to cut the payment back a couple bucks maybe explore a 501a packaged truck, personally I did not want to go back to cloth seats and loose certain pieces of technology that the XLT trim just doesn't offer.
I'm actually looking at keeping around the same payment as what I have now by buying in those mentioned trims/packages. I bought my current truck used with low miles but got a pretty good deal. If I buy anything more it would cost me more and I don't want to up my payment. Again, I just can't make myself pay more or I would have bought the used 2017 Raptor I looked at this weekend. I had a moment of weakness and then realized it would cost what my house does every month.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by DyLivn
Like you though the LED headlights are a must so that is the first thing I addressed on my XLT and now I have the factory LED headlights on my 2018.
What did that cost you?
Old 03-19-2018, 01:39 PM

If you go Lariat you have to go 502a, otherwise get an XLT Sport and add Katzkins.
The following users liked this post:
Scrappy Doo (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman
What did that cost you?
With current prices you are looking at about $2k. And keep in mind when I go to sell the truck I will either charge an extra 1k on the sell price or I will take them back off and sell alone for $1k. So total investment is around 1k (and interest on the other 1k if you want to get technical )
Old 03-19-2018, 01:44 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by DyLivn
If you go Lariat you have to go 502a, otherwise get an XLT Sport and add Katzkins.
I'd agree with this.

Quick Reply: Who has traded to a lower trim/package?