Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who all leases their late model F150?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 10:48 AM

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Who all leases their late model F150?

Trying to gauge how many people own, or lease their late model F150s?
Old 02-21-2019, 10:51 AM

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm leasing mine, but will probably end up buying out the lease once it's up. Not having to pay personal property taxes for 3 years, monthly cost savings, and buyout cost... Hard to say no.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:55 AM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Leasing here. Going to buy her out when the lease expires. I leased because I wasn't sure I wanted a truck. Thought about upgrading to a 250, but I'm pretty well invested in this truck.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never leased, but if you are going to, you should check out prices in Michigan. Don't know where you are located, but when we lived up there, everyone leased their vehicles. Here is a quick example.

https://www.brightonford.com/specials/new.htm

We moved to Texas and NO ONE leases their vehicles. There are exceptions, but it was going from one side of the fence to the other as far as new car sales.

Good luck!
Old 02-21-2019, 11:03 AM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Lease info

People where I live usually buy the trucks and so I’m not too informed about leases. Are there different fees involved? I never heard about not having to pay property tax on a lease. Any information would be appreciated.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:19 AM

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I only buy, but I don’t buy brand new. 1 or 2 years old, low mileage and always the extended warranty.i keep them 5-6 years. For me personally my last few trucks have held enough trade in value that breaking down the monthly cost of ownership over the term I owned it has been cheaper then leasing, without the worry of having to keep within a certain mileage. Only downside is I don’t get the lastest and greatest every 2 years
Old 02-21-2019, 11:23 AM

Received 90 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Losing Money
People where I live usually buy the trucks and so I’m not too informed about leases. Are there different fees involved? I never heard about not having to pay property tax on a lease. Any information would be appreciated.
There are fees, and the monthly cost is based on a few factors... The total amount you pay on a lease, is what the expected depreciation would be on the vehicle after the amount of time of the lease is up. Usually, if you're planning on a short lease (1 or 2 years), the total monthly cost is higher than say a 3-year lease, because most of the depreciation comes in the first two years of the vehicle. You also have a certain percentage rate that you pay, which can basically be converted into an APR rate. This rate it negotiable, as is the cost of the vehicle (there are usually less deals on leases, however).

Also, lease monthly costs aren't nearly as inexpensive as purchase monthly costs... Where normally you'll spend roughly $18 per month per $1000 borrowed on a sale, you'll spend roughly $40 per month per $1000 leased. This means that putting more money down can drop your payment SIGNIFICANTLY. The big key here, is since you're paying the depreciation value, instead of the vehicle value, the total amount you're paying on is considerably less than buying (as an example, the depreciation estimation for my vehicle was right at $12,000 for 3-years, so I pay for $12,000 and not $41,000). You also have sales tax that is rolled into the monthly lease payment (in addition to the $40 per $1000), which is based on the state and county you live in, and can either be based on the initial sale cost of the vehicle (before they subtract the depreciation), or can be based on the monthly payment amount.

As far as personal property tax goes, you don't actually own the truck, the leasing company does, so you don't pay any property taxes on it. If you decide to purchase the vehicle after the lease, you'll have to pay personal property and sales taxes on the value of the vehicle AT THAT TIME, meaning it doesn't backtrack to when the vehicle was new.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:24 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraO
I've never leased, but if you are going to, you should check out prices in Michigan. Don't know where you are located, but when we lived up there, everyone leased their vehicles. Here is a quick example.

https://www.brightonford.com/specials/new.htm

We moved to Texas and NO ONE leases their vehicles. There are exceptions, but it was going from one side of the fence to the other as far as new car sales.

Good luck!
There is a reason why Michigan leads the country in leasing via Ford - employee (and retiree) and employee family purchases via A/Z plan. This gives higher rebates for leasing than buying, as well as a almost non-existent money factor rate. We bought a Ford Fusion Energi in September, and leasing had a rebate of just over $10,000 (went up to just over $11,000 the next month). That included Ford taking the $4,000 tax credit, so it's more like just over $6,000. Regardless, we will save about $2,000, after fees, if we buy the vehicle at the end of the lease, as compared to buying outright.

It should be noted that you get the Ford rebates where the vehicle is registered, not where you buy it. So any rebates in a listed price for Michigan you won't get.

The other reason that Michigan is high in auto leases is that a certain level of white collar auto worker gets X leases per 6 months / year at a very reduced price, so they can basically get a new vehicle all the time. It used to include insurance, so the kids drove the new vehicle with the auto company eating the risk, and the parents drove older vehicles.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
jmiller72 (03-18-2019), SCrewYou (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 11:54 AM

Received 643 Likes on 269 Posts

We have 1 lease and 1 purchased F-150
Old 02-21-2019, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

I am on my 3rd F150 lease. Plan to keep leasing, i love a brand new truck every couple years
The following users liked this post:
Mark Miller (02-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Who all leases their late model F150?