Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is addicted to Sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Who is addicted to Sport mode?

Driving around town the difference in performance is amazing.

Is there a way to keep it engaged without pressing the button after each restart?

Has anyone compared the difference MPG?
Old 09-26-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

It's the only way to drive around town lol. However, it scares me sometimes when I'm really laying into it and it doesn't shift till just before redline. Is this something other sport mode users have noticed? Should I get it checked out at the dealership? I think it's awesome, but I just can't wrap my head around why the shift point is so extreme and it doesn't let you upshift if you think your truck has had enough.
The following users liked this post:
BigBadPhil (01-13-2020)
Old 09-26-2015, 07:34 PM

Received 189 Likes on 120 Posts

I agree. When driving around town it's the way to go. As far as the extreme shifting I think it's by design as mine does it as well. Not sure about the MPG but I don't really care. It really makes my 5.0 peppy!
Old 09-26-2015, 07:37 PM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by NotaM3
It's the only way to drive around town lol. However, it scares me sometimes when I'm really laying into it and it doesn't shift till just before redline. Is this something other sport mode users have noticed? Should I get it checked out at the dealership? I think it's awesome, but I just can't wrap my head around why the shift point is so extreme and it doesn't let you upshift if you think your truck has had enough.
If you don't take your foot off the gas it won't shift for me either. I've been near redline in 3rd and 4th gear and it didn't shift even after I let off. Once I pressed the gas again it shifted. I honestly think it's by design.

You might think your truck has had enough but your truck disagrees with you. Lay into it. If it's not shifting to the gear you want you can always pop it out of Sport Mode and it will upshift/downshift for you. Or drop into Manual mode and do it yourself.

If you don't like the way the truck shifts, keep it in manual
Old 09-26-2015, 07:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BoozeDaily
If you don't take your foot off the gas it won't shift for me either. I've been near redline in 3rd and 4th gear and it didn't shift even after I let off. Once I pressed the gas again it shifted. I honestly think it's by design.

You might think your truck has had enough but your truck disagrees with you. Lay into it. If it's not shifting to the gear you want you can always pop it out of Sport Mode and it will upshift/downshift for you. Or drop into Manual mode and do it yourself.

If you don't like the way the truck shifts, keep it in manual
Lol! Words of wisdom. I like it. Give er hell! I was just wondering, I don't know anyone else with a 2015 to ask, and I found it strange for it to rev so high by design. Thanks FORD!

As far as OP asked about MPG, I haven't paid attention. Sport Mode and Traction Control off is fun time. Not penny pinching gas, consumption time.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:37 PM

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

Sport mode only for me.

I get similar MPG in sport and regular mode when I keep my foot out of the gas.

I wish there was a way to default to sport mode as well.
Zman457 (02-01-2020)
Old 09-26-2015, 08:43 PM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

No change in MPGs for me that I've noticed when I'm driving the same way in both modes. Someone posted a while back and I tried a few tests to confirm it, but the theory is that in a normal driving speed range a higher RPM/lower gear is just as efficient as a lower RPM/higher gear.

So yea, in theory you would get the same fuel economy out of granny driving in Sport or Regular and you'd get the same fuel economy tromping on it in either mode- all other variables the same.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:53 PM
T_R

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

I use it to get out of my driveway fast. There is a rise in the road you can't see oncoming cars over, so you need to pull out fast to avoid getting hit.

Sport mode and TC off the truck is noticeably faster and I only have the base engine, non turbo 3.5
Old 09-26-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

we just picked up our 15 lariat YESTURDAY with the 3.5 eco boost, Totally love this truck. I think this is normal, when the sales guy was going over the truck with us, I do remember him saying something about sport mode and how it changes transmission shift points [ higher in the rpm ] and how much faster the truck is in this mode, Haven't tried it out yet but I will. This is our first Ford ever, and so far I think I love it more then my 2012 Honda accord HFP v6 6 spd, lol. Looking to learn a lot here on this forum.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:31 PM
UrbanOffroad

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually forgot about the Sport mode until five days after bringing my truck home. The next day, I turned it on, and lit it up. Wow. It really makes a difference. For a novice like me, it was if I just installed an upgraded tranny.

It's ironic because one of the issues that caused me to hesitate in choosing the 3.5 Eco was the lag in shifting. In "normal" mode, shifting can catch you off guard. Before my wife first drove it, I warned her to take her time getting used to it since in bumper to bumper traffic, you don't want that boost chiming in at the wrong moment.

Anyway, yeah Sports Mode is a win-win for the F-150.
imcabby (01-08-2017)

Quick Reply: Who is addicted to Sport mode?