Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Paint under badges is different color

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 10:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default White Paint under badges is different color

So my white xlt sport has two different shades of white. Noticed first day all the plastic pieces are darker shade of white than the truck. Washed and waxed today, and I noticed the bottom part of the cab is plastic. How you ask. Because it's a different shade of white than the truck..

Then I debadged the tailgate today. And after the badges were removed I'm left with a darker stain or shadow where the emblems were. Like a yellow white color. Maybe the paint fades over 10 years but not a month. I'm puzzled, maybe a painter would know. Why am I left with different color paint where the badges were. Looks like a have yellow ghost badges now. Never seen this on a new truck debadged.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:41 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Default White Paint under badges is different color

Can't help without pics.

What have you tried? Polish, wax? Did you remove all the adhesive?

Last edited by 21RRF150; 09-19-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:14 AM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

I took my stickers off the rear and the EcoBoost emblems off the side and didn't notice anything with my paint. Mines black though.

As far as the plastic not matching the metal on a brand new truck, I don't know. I've repainted plastic pieces on cars and tried to color match and it is a huge PITA. Between the natural fading of paint and the plastic itself it's challenging.

Check out some white F150s on the lot and see if they have the same thing going on. I don't know what you'd want to do about it though. The risk of them messing up the match more with a repaint is higher; unless they repaint the entire truck.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:33 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Still need pics. Plastic pieces typically don't match the metal for numerous reasons. Painted in a different factory, lack of a consistent sealer, or no sealer at all(i.e.Toyota), also it's a totally different substrate. It heats up and cools down at a different rate than metal/aluminum. One other is plastic pieces sometimes get solvent base paint, while the vehicle will get water base. Learned a lot about that working for Toyota, none of their plastic pieces match their metal.

That being said, haven't really seen this happen with Ford's solid colors. Silvers/golds, Tri stage pearls, certain other metallic colors, yes. But never solid black, white, or red
Old 09-20-2015, 03:51 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have seen this on many vehicles. Matching metal and plastic is hard to do.

My Campenella White VW was matched so closely, but if you paid attention it was slightly off. My Dads 05' Oxford White KR has similar. Its not out of the normal, I think white just makes it easier to make out different shades.

The White 15' XLT Sport I test drove had a very slightly different shade of white on anything that was plastic.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:20 AM

Received 366 Likes on 225 Posts

Mine is white...I'm glad I have bad eye site. Never noticed the whites didn't match.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:37 AM

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

When I de-badged my white Lariat sport I noticed the same thing as you. Like mentioned above, matching plastic and metal it's hard to do, so not much you can do about that besides re-paint. The paint under the badges is a bit tricky. I went as far as sanding with 1500/2000/2500 and polishing it back with no luck. I let it go for a few days and had decided to just re-apply the emblems, but over time the staining cleared itself up. I've been de-badged for around a month now and can't tell you where the badges were. Can't explain why the staining has cleared, but I'm glad it did!
Old 09-20-2015, 06:55 AM

Received 877 Likes on 561 Posts

The color difference under the emblems is probably a stain caused by the emblem being applied at the factory to fresh paint.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:02 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think a camera would pic up the color difference. All the adhesive was removed. I figured the emblems had stained the fresh clear coat. I plan to just let the sun UV hopefully fix the problem. All in all just a little disappointing. The color differences are not worth fixing but look pretty tacky on a white vehicle. As far as badges go, I don't care for waxing and cleaning around them so I always remove them. And in Texas, what the purpose of a Texas edition badge? Does that mean my ac blows colder than most? Cause I don't see any "Texas" touches. Ha
Old 09-20-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 3,928 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Hobbs62
And in Texas, what the purpose of a Texas edition badge? Does that mean my ac blows colder than most? Cause I don't see any "Texas" touches. Ha
The Texas Edition should have a set of horns mounted on the front of the truck.

The following 2 users liked this post by NASSTY:
Mikemeek (09-20-2015), srg963 (09-21-2015)

Quick Reply: White Paint under badges is different color