Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple Supercharger Coolant concern, last 5 days slight sweet coolant smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 11:35 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Whipple Supercharger Coolant concern, last 5 days slight sweet coolant smell

My Whipple 2.9 Gen 3 Stage 2 warranty is up in a few days. All has been great. not a spot of coolant on my shop floor. I have searched every where for a small leak, nothing. All I can see is that my coolant for my Supercharger is slowly going down. Is that unusual? 3,500 miles plus 7 hard runs at the drag strip. Or is it just time to add coolant or should I be concerned? I been watching too many Dorian videos, I get side tracked!
Old 08-14-2019, 12:13 AM

Received 801 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by screens2
My Whipple 2.9 Gen 3 Stage 2 warranty is up in a few days. All has been great. not a spot of coolant on my shop floor. I have searched every where for a small leak, nothing. All I can see is that my coolant for my Supercharger is slowly going down. Is that unusual? 3,500 miles plus 7 hard runs at the drag strip. Or is it just time to add coolant or should I be concerned? I been watching too many Dorian videos, I get side tracked!
Typical on a fresh install if all of the air wasn't burped out. I wouldn't think it would take 3500 miles though. Maybe you're just noticing it?
When you fill it up, try topping it off with a bottle of water wetter if you have not mixed any already.
The following users liked this post:
screens2 (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 02:55 AM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

If you have never added any coolant after install, then what you describe is normal, as air will continue to be purged out as you drive around. However after 3500 miles the air should be purged, so once you top it up if it continues to go down a substantial amount I'd take a long hard look for any leaks or signs of coolant evaporation about the fittings. If you don't find any, then pull the blower and look at the intercooler core and check for leaks there.

But before you get concerned, what you are experiencing is probably normal as it sounds like it was never topped up.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:22 AM

Received 199 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm curious as to who you had do the install on your truck?

Quick Reply: Whipple Supercharger Coolant concern, last 5 days slight sweet coolant smell