Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is Brake Light Wire? Part Two … 2016 F-150

Old 03-20-2016, 11:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Where is Brake Light Wire? Part Two … 2016 F-150

This is continuation of the Where is Brake Light Wire? topic with an update or new info obtained for 2016 F-150.

The scoop … pin 13 on the BCM connector C2280E (BN wire) was identified as the one used for original STOP/CHSML light.

Although not discussed below, please note that pin 26 on BCM connector C2280C (VT wire) used for PUDDLE/CARGO lamp could be used for topper/cap dome light if truck controlling it works for you.

Here we go … from Just Answer paid for session with Ford technician (name obscured) … the entire discussion with links to the diagrams:

Richard W
Ford User
Hi there …

Re : 2016 F-150, connecting the CHMSL on the topper/cap to the truck's stop lamp circuit.

Looking for stop lamp (CHMSL) wire under the bed. I know there is one violet-white in the cab, but is there one under the bed?

TIA … Richard

BTW, I will need harness info, connector info, wire id/color info for the above, or the wiring diagram with these details would be really helpful.

A. P...
Ford Mechanic
The wire for the third brake light on the back of the cab, there is no wiring at the back of the truck for it. It comes from the dash fuse box to the third brake light. You cannot tap into the left or right tail light/brake light because you will cause a load on the circuit and blow the fuse in the fuse box or possibly damaged the dash fuse box which is a module.

Richard W
Ford User
I am not planning to tap to the taillights … therefore my original question about stop lamp (CHMSL) wire, and I know there is one in the cab. Not sure about the details.

Could you provide the details where in the dash fuse box is the desired connection … color, identification, circuit, etc?

A. P...
Ford Mechanic
Ok. The dash fuse box, called the BCM or body control module is located under the passenger side of the dash behind the kick panel below the glove box. Below is the wiring diagram and the wiring connector in the BCM for the 3rd brake light.

WIRING DIAGRAM FOR CHMSL (STOP AND CARGO LIGHTS) …
http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazona...3202add3_1.pdf

BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM) CONNECTOR C2280E PINOUT …
http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazona...792f183a_2.pdf

Richard W
Ford User
Okay, the way I read it … it would be pin 13 and/or brown wire coming from BCM. Correct?

A. P...
Ford Mechanic
Correct.

Richard W
Ford User
Okay then … last followup … the ground for cap's stop lamp (CHMSL) …

May I use the existing OEM ground post which is mounted on the frame under the bed … one where main tail lights harness is grounded?

A. P...
Ford Mechanic
Yes, you can use any existing ground.

Richard W
Ford User
Great … thank you much … appreciated.

A. P...
Ford Mechanic
Your very welcome.

Last edited by Richard W; 03-21-2016 at 09:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Volt (04-03-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 02:53 PM

A follow up conversation with some more info …

Richard W
Ford User
Two more questions …

What about the increased load on BCM when splicing additional lights into BCM pin 13 and 26?
Could you also include the diagram for C2280C connector with "puddle lamp" pin 26.

A. P...
Ford Mechanic
As long as they are LEDs or small what we call peanut bulbs, you are ok.

Below is the pin out of connector C2280C.

BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM) CONNECTOR C2280C PINOUT … pin 26 … PUDDLE LAMP
http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazona...176fc6ea_1.pdf

---------------------------------

That's it … all the info I need to make a neat topper/cap connection for both stop and cargo lamps.

Specifically, I am planning to disconnect the cab's CHMSL light and make a connection to the cap right there. Run the three wire (stop/cargo/ground) cable from there, install a quick disconnect weather proof deutsch connector between the cab and cap with enough slack to be able to disconnect the two when needed. Then run the cable thru the front wall of the topper/cap close to cap's ceiling. The topper/cap wiring will have to be modified and mounted to the ceiling and go from the back to front of the cap. For electrical integrity of the truck, I will remove any means/circuits that allow to connect any additional loads … I will have just two circuits: the cap's LED stop lamp on pin 13 (BN), and the cap's LED, converted if it is still an old style, dome light on pin 26 (VT), just like the OEM install.

It will take me a bit of time as I am not at my homestead for a while, but I will post updates when I make any progress. Meantime, no installer will be second guessing and messing with my truck … win/win … I hope.

Last edited by Richard W; 03-24-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

This is great information. Where are you running the wires from the inside of the cab to the outside of the cab?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:11 AM

After a quick look inside the cab's back I decided not to mess with it. Instead I will connect the topper to truck's 3rd brake light (CHMSL). I had undone the light and looked inside briefly … two discoveries:

- There are three wires there, although different colors than I expected but nevertheless: ground/negative , brake/stop light power, and puddle/cargo light power.

- The truck's dash has not complained after the light assembly was disconnected. Good for those in FL for example where the 3rd brake light is not required, so it can be disconnected without dash errors to cut on the glare once topper is mounted.

I am going to undo truck's CHMSL and disconnect it again just before the topper instal. I will take some pictures then. Looks like an obvious and easy connection point for topper's lights … I just need to find a three pin plug that fits the OEM harness socket.

Last edited by Richard W; 04-05-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:53 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard W
After a quick look inside the cab's back I decided not to mess with it. Instead I will connect the topper to truck's 3rd brake light (CHMSL). I had undone the light and looked inside briefly … two discoveries:

- There are three wires there, although different colors than I expected but nevertheless: ground/negative , brake/stop light power, and puddle/cargo light power.

- The truck's dash has not complained after the light assembly was disconnected. Good for those in FL for example where the 3rd brake light is not required, so it can be disconnected without dash errors to cut on the glare once topper is mounted.

I am going to undo truck's CHMSL and disconnect it again just before the topper instal. I will take some pictures then. Looks like an obvious and easy connection point for topper's lights … I just need to find a three pin plug that fits the OEM harness socket.
How did you make out with this.. I just ordered a cap and want to do it right..

Thanks, Joe
Old 09-03-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chmsl

Hello,
I am following this thread to connect my CHMSL light on my topper and my C2280E connector does not have 52 pins, nor are they round as the diagram shows. Could you send a picture of the location of the C2280E connector location on the BCM so I am positive that I am working with the correct connector,

Thank you in advance,
Old 09-04-2016, 07:49 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This is what I used when I did mine..

Joe
The following users liked this post:
Wayne D (09-04-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 01:20 AM

Sorry, I have not followed these forums for a while ... FWIW ...

I have connected the topper to the truck's CHMSL, specifically to the brake and cargo three wire harness with plug after disconnected the OEM brake/cargo light. Since the topper has low wattage LED lights, the loads are similar.

I have used a weatherproof quick disconnect three wire plug and socket (intended for outdoor LED lights) between the cab and topper. I can reach it thru either window to dis/connect the topper if needed.

Effectively, the cable runs from CHMSL on the cab to the topper above its window ... yes, I had to drill a hole in the top of topper's front wall. Then the cable runs under the topper's ceiling and down to the designated connection point. I preferred the mod to be done to the topper rather than to the truck ... fixing fiberglass would be easier, if necessary.

Hope this helps ...

Last edited by Richard W; 12-13-2016 at 01:56 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richard W
Sorry, I have not followed these forums for a while ... FWIW ...

I have connected the topper to the truck's CHMSL, specifically to the brake and cargo three wire harness with plug after disconnected the OEM brake/cargo light. Since the topper has low wattage LED lights, the loads are similar.

I have used a weatherproof quick disconnect three wire plug and socket (intended for outdoor LED lights) between the cab and topper. I can reach it thru either window to dis/connect the topper if needed.

Effectively, the cable runs from CHMSL on the cab to the topper above its window ... yes, I had to drill a hole in the top of topper's front wall. Then the cable runs under the topper's ceiling and down to the designated connection point. I preferred the mod to be done to the topper rather than to the truck ... fixing fiberglass would be easier, if necessary.

Hope this helps ...
Have a picture? I'm curious on the wire coming out of the chimsel, also do you have a part number on the connector to the oem side?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is Brake Light Wire? Part Two … 2016 F-150