Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I be on the lookout for after an accident?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 06:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What should I be on the lookout for after an accident?

Pics below.

Long story short, t-boned a car doing 40. Airbags didnt deploy. Front fenders, grill, hood all look like goners. When the trooper asked me to back it up, it felt like it was in 4WD on dry pavement, but it wasnt. Definite driveline binding. A quick look when it was on the wrecker to get towed, looked like the intercooler had gotten pushed back into the radiator. Radiator looked slightly shifted. Front frame horns looked wrinkled, but I only got a second to look. Interior wise, my center console where the shift lever was is all out of whack. Couldnt open the sliding compartment to get my work badge out, among other things.

Adjusters will look at it tomorrow. What else should I be concerned about?

Edit: Both headlights cracked, and my Morimoto fog lights are both goners too.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 801 Likes on 490 Posts

You knocked the other car on it's side and that is all the damage you have?

Wow, hope no one was hurt and you get your truck fixed back to perfect!

I would be concerned why the bags didn't deploy, looks like they should have.

Someone else with more experience will have to chime in on what all get check for, I have not been in such a crash but I still think your bags need to be inspected.

Good luck!
Old 01-01-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

If his speed was 40 prior to crash and he was able to apply any braking at all, he may have slowed up enough to not require air bag deployment. You really don't want the air bags to deploy if you don't need them.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by CurryBob
You knocked the other car on it's side and that is all the damage you have?

Wow, hope no one was hurt and you get your truck fixed back to perfect!

I would be concerned why the bags didn't deploy, looks like they should have.

Someone else with more experience will have to chime in on what all get check for, I have not been in such a crash but I still think your bags need to be inspected.

Good luck!
No one hurt.

Im guessing because with the way the other car pivoted and rolled, I basically drove through it. Physics and all. I was able to stop the truck about 40ft from the point of impact.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by msgtord
If his speed was 40 prior to crash and he was able to apply any braking at all, he may have slowed up enough to not require air bag deployment. You really don't want the air bags to deploy if you don't need them.
No, I was doing 40 when I nailed her. Its a 55mph road and I had about 40ft of braking, if that. If you look at the location of the car and the truck, thats as fast as I could physically get it stopped.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

The adjuster, and your repair shop will take care of everything. You should worry about the other driver filing suit if you are at fault.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
The adjuster, and your repair shop will take care of everything. You should worry about the other driver filing suit if you are at fault.
Not at fault. She was cited for failure to yield.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:35 PM

Received 368 Likes on 157 Posts

I am also surprised the airbags didnt deploy. Dont be surprised if they total your truck (I would actually prefer that if I was in your situation)-the whole front end being replaced will be serious $$.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gerrard155
I am also surprised the airbags didnt deploy. Dont be surprised if they total your truck (I would actually prefer that if I was in your situation)-the whole front end being replaced will be serious $$.
Kind of what Im hoping to be honest. Itll never be "right" after a hit like that.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:17 PM

Received 1,329 Likes on 797 Posts

My advice would be to develop a good relationship with a good body shop. When in the shop, give them plenty of breathing room for a detailed inspection for added damage after the truck is apart. Don't rush them here, this is where they find and get you reimbursed for everything the adjuster missed, and it can be huge. Push them to fix in original estimated time and they will care significantly less about hidden damage.

Quick Reply: What should I be on the lookout for after an accident?