Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this? Shift at stop? Stumble? 2.7 question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 06:05 PM

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts
Default What is this? Shift at stop? Stumble? 2.7 question.

Ok, just turned 1000 miles, starting to get used to the feel of the truck and I've started to notice something that may have been there all along or not, so I am asking those who have been driving their 2.7 TTs a while longer.

You know how you come to a stop, and a couple seconds later the auto stop/start shuts down the engine? It's like that but my engine isn't shutting off because I am running the AC.

About 2-3 seconds after coming to a stop, there's a little shudder. I don't see any bobble on the tach.

I've tried with the auto stop turned off, with Sport mode on, with Tow mode on, with AC on or off, and using manual shift to be sure it's in 1st.

I'm not sure if it's transmission, because it feels like it shifted down a gear, but this only happens at a full stop. That seems like it only leaves engine. Is it normal? Indicative of imminent catastrophic something? It's hardly noticeable and I didn't notice until the last day or so when I got a few solo rides with the radio off.

I'll go listen to the radio while someone checks. I figure that I really don't have to worry too much for 35,000 more miles.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:26 PM

Received 254 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Lare
Ok, just turned 1000 miles, starting to get used to the feel of the truck and I've started to notice something that may have been there all along or not, so I am asking those who have been driving their 2.7 TTs a while longer.

You know how you come to a stop, and a couple seconds later the auto stop/start shuts down the engine? It's like that but my engine isn't shutting off because I am running the AC.

About 2-3 seconds after coming to a stop, there's a little shudder. I don't see any bobble on the tach.

I've tried with the auto stop turned off, with Sport mode on, with Tow mode on, with AC on or off, and using manual shift to be sure it's in 1st.

I'm not sure if it's transmission, because it feels like it shifted down a gear, but this only happens at a full stop. That seems like it only leaves engine. Is it normal? Indicative of imminent catastrophic something? It's hardly noticeable and I didn't notice until the last day or so when I got a few solo rides with the radio off.

I'll go listen to the radio while someone checks. I figure that I really don't have to worry too much for 35,000 more miles.
I felt the same thing yesterday. When coming to almost a complete stop, it acts like it's going to cut off but doesn't. The tach doesn't drop or anything, it feels exactly like the old IAT valves when they went bad. It's weird because the stumble is there, but according to the tach it doesn't lose rpm. It has only done it to me 3 times in 4,500 miles.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:34 PM

Thank you for either proving that I am not crazy (or that we share a psychosis. )

It happened about 20 times the first day and while I was going in for my 1000 mile free oil change today. While I was there I made an appointment for Tuesday. Coming home, though, no occurance. Shazbot.

I'll have to see if it happens any more. No sense driving in if I can't reproduce it.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:16 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

I have felt the same thing and have no idea what it is. I have about 3500 miles on mine. My auto start quit working about 2000 miles ago so it probably isn't part of that.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

If you check your manual auto-start will not always shut the truck off.
There are at least 10-12 diff events that may keep the truck running
warmup
cooldown
interior heat
interior cool
various levels of fan speeds interior
sound level etc

I can always feel a downshift but that,s at 5-6 mph, before I come to complete stop, not after I have stopped.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:57 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

I think there are actually 17 perimeters that will prevent auto start stop. This funny little bobble comes after you stop, about 2 or 3 seconds.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fx2.7
I think there are actually 17 perimeters that will prevent auto start stop. This funny little bobble comes after you stop, about 2 or 3 seconds.
Right. In just about the same time that the auto stop would work. Like it's thinking it's going to do it then realizing one of the 17 (or so) parameters means it's not supposed to.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:56 AM

Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Fx2.7
Sounds about right, they are all listed in the manual that came with the truck.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the transmission has a stand-by-control. I have this feature in my truck with a ZF 8HP transmission. It separates the driveshaft from the transmission on a full stop for better fuel economy (same if you would shift to N on a full stop). In my truck I can it change this setting via the ODB2 interface.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 333 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm sure glad that Lincoln didn't adopt the 2.7 start-stop feature in the 2016 MKX crossover.

Quick Reply: What is this? Shift at stop? Stumble? 2.7 question.