What Engine makes sense for me? - Page 21 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
2015 - Present Ford F150 General discussion on the latest generation Ford F150 truck.

What Engine makes sense for me?

Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 AM
  #201  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,117
Thanked 189 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
Yes, people who are too lazy to do math are typically the ones that look at the monthly payment rather than the overall cost of something.

3.5 is a good engine. People just need to be honest with what their needs are. The money saved with the 2.7 could also be used to go up a trim level. Or buy a nice mountain bike. If you'd rather that money go towards the 3.5 there's nothing wrong with that, provided you understand the cost. Different people have different needs and priorities.
the way you guys think amazes me.. you can't compare gas saved to going up a trim level .. so you decided to get a 2.7 Lariat instead of a 3.5 XLT .. what you gonna do? drive in eco mode all year round? are you going to some how decide you can't take trips with your family because your budget for gas for the month is less the payment on the trim level you increased? so what if gas prices drop considerably are you going to then feel bad you didn't get a 3.5? what if gas prices go up considerably are you going to stop driving your truck?

the arguments you guys come up with to justify stuff is hilarious
doug97gxe is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to doug97gxe For This Useful Post:
RubyRed18 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:46 AM
  #202  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 208
Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by doug97gxe View Post
the way you guys think amazes me.. you can't compare gas saved to going up a trim level .. so you decided to get a 2.7 Lariat instead of a 3.5 XLT .. what you gonna do? drive in eco mode all year round? are you going to some how decide you can't take trips with your family because your budget for gas for the month is less the payment on the trim level you increased? so what if gas prices drop considerably are you going to then feel bad you didn't get a 3.5? what if gas prices go up considerably are you going to stop driving your truck?

the arguments you guys come up with to justify stuff is hilarious
Because the payload for the 2.7 is much less than the 3.5 and they won't be able to haul the family, and box full of cargo on any trip and have any sort of passing power.

I kid, I kid..
Vengenz is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:04 AM
  #203  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 217
Thanked 56 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Andrew H. Harris View Post
I feel more comfortable with the CGI design and construction of the 2.7 than the all aluminum 3.5. Not to say the 3.5 isnít a good motor.
Hmmm. You're more comfortable with a block that is separate pieces bolted together than one made of one chunk of aluminum? Sure both are fine but I'll stick with the old method.
RX1Cobra is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:06 AM
  #204  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cleveland TN.
Posts: 101
Thanked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by doug97gxe View Post
the way you guys think amazes me.. you can't compare gas saved to going up a trim level .. so you decided to get a 2.7 Lariat instead of a 3.5 XLT .. what you gonna do? drive in eco mode all year round? are you going to some how decide you can't take trips with your family because your budget for gas for the month is less the payment on the trim level you increased? so what if gas prices drop considerably are you going to then feel bad you didn't get a 3.5? what if gas prices go up considerably are you going to stop driving your truck?

the arguments you guys come up with to justify stuff is hilarious
I agree but would add one thing. That is, most folks do not order their vehicles. They buy what's on the lot. I don't have the source handy, but I saw a video produced by Ford where it stated very clearly that 35% of the F150's are special orders. And that includes fleets and lease holders which obviously is the vast majority. Drive by any dealer and gaze at the hundreds of new F150's lined up like birds on a wire. Get real folks! Some of you guys act like every little detail of your truck is exactly to your liking. Just the way you ordered it! Right!

I also agree the determining factor being the monthly payment. Choosing between what's on the lot is almost always decided by what the finance company will allow you to buy. If you can afford a $300 dollar a month payment, and buy a $600 dollar Platinum, I guarantee you won't be doing many weekend excursions with you family and the mileage thing becomes a very large issue. Nothing takes the shine off a new truck faster than the first three payments. We're not all young kids using daddy's credit card.

jetjoe is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:12 AM
  #205  
Junior Member
 
RubyRed18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 15
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

In terms of fuel cost between the 2.7 and 3.5 and how important it is to some people because of budget.... If you are planning your budget so close that a $40 per month increase in fuel cost will make or break you then you are a complete idiot for buying a $40,000+ new vehicle.You should be buying a used 4 banger that gets 40mpg if that is your financial situation.

Last edited by RubyRed18; 01-11-2019 at 11:15 AM.
RubyRed18 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:27 AM
  #206  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 44
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by doug97gxe View Post
the way you guys think amazes me.. you can't compare gas saved to going up a trim level .. so you decided to get a 2.7 Lariat instead of a 3.5 XLT .. what you gonna do? drive in eco mode all year round? are you going to some how decide you can't take trips with your family because your budget for gas for the month is less the payment on the trim level you increased? so what if gas prices drop considerably are you going to then feel bad you didn't get a 3.5? what if gas prices go up considerably are you going to stop driving your truck?

the arguments you guys come up with to justify stuff is hilarious
You implied that $4K was a reasonable assumption for additional cost given initial price, lower availability (fewer dealer incentives), and ongoing fuel costs. Yet you think it's "hilarious" to take that cost into account when purchasing? If your dealer is reading this he's licking his chops waiting for you to walk in the door again.


bisonp is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:38 AM
  #207  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 44
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RubyRed18 View Post
In terms of fuel cost between the 2.7 and 3.5 and how important it is to some people because of budget.... If you are planning your budget so close that a $40 per month increase in fuel cost will make or break you then you are a complete idiot for buying a $40,000+ new vehicle.You should be buying a used 4 banger that gets 40mpg if that is your financial situation.
Nobody has said the monthly cost is a "make or break" thing. The argument presented is that it doesn't make much sense to pay for something you don't need when it adds up to thousands of dollars over the life of the truck.

This is really simple stuff to understand, not sure why some people have such difficulty following along. If you need the 3.5, by all means buy it. Heck if you simply want it because you like it, go ahead. But don't sit here and claim money shouldn't factor into a purchase decision.
bisonp is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bisonp For This Useful Post:
jetjoe (01-11-2019), MNgopher (01-11-2019), pete7713 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 11:40 AM
  #208  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,117
Thanked 189 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
You implied that $4K was a reasonable assumption for additional cost given initial price, lower availability (fewer dealer incentives), and ongoing fuel costs. Yet you think it's "hilarious" to take that cost into account when purchasing? If your dealer is reading this he's licking his chops waiting for you to walk in the door again.
you're confusing me with some one else.. i implied no cost
doug97gxe is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 AM
  #209  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cleveland TN.
Posts: 101
Thanked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RubyRed18 View Post
In terms of fuel cost between the 2.7 and 3.5 and how important it is to some people because of budget.... If you are planning your budget so close that a $40 per month increase in fuel cost will make or break you then you are a complete idiot for buying a $40,000+ new vehicle.You should be buying a used 4 banger that gets 40mpg if that is your financial situation.
Here we go again! Few folks "plan their budgets" when buying a vehicle. Their budgets are a result of the purchases they have made. All of them! Including those that pop up the day after your new truck hits your driveway. These days fuel is relatively cheap. $40 per month may not be a big deal. But not that long ago that number would have been $80 per month. (using your numbers) And you can bet those higher prices will once again return before the 60 payments are all made. Buying more truck then you really need becomes a part of that budget forever. The idiot who buys that new truck seldom knows he/she is an idiot until the reality sets in down the line when life throws a curve at you. That payment is cast in concrete until its paid off. Buying a truck with features you might use less than 1% of the time is what an idiot might do.

Getting back the question that started this thread, if necessary, buy what you can afford. If you're wealthy, buy what you want. But if this guy was wealthy, I doubt he would have posted the question in the first place! Apparently his budget was a factor.
jetjoe is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:58 AM
  #210  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 44
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by doug97gxe View Post
you're confusing me with some one else.. i implied no cost
Originally Posted by doug97gxe View Post
fine use cost as your argument .. you wanted to spend less on a truck that had the same features .. you saved $4000 buying a 2.7 .. i'm ok with that argument .. but saying no one needs extra hp is stupid
I thought we were in agreement. And then evidently we were not anymore. Yet through that my argument has not changed.



bisonp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Engine makes sense for me?


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: