Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waze/GPS Speeds are 10mph off when iPhone is plugged into USB

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Waze/GPS Speeds are 10mph off when iPhone is plugged into USB

2016 F150 Sync 3.0 build 18093 no navigation

I noticed that my Waze app on my iphone always showed about 10 mph faster than my actual speed when it was plugged into the USB port on my truck. As soon as I unplug the USB cord from my phone the speed is correct. I have verified that the issue is consistent with Waze and other speedometer apps. I even downloaded the GPS diagnostic app to verify my findings. The GPS location seems to be spot on but the speed is always off. I do notice a slight difference with the number of GPS satellites my phone utilizes when its plugged into the USB port. I was under the impression that trucks with no navigation do not have a GPS module, but it seems like my phone is trying to use something "external" to get information from satellites.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2018, 05:37 PM

Received 219 Likes on 142 Posts

Waze was doing this a few weeks ago and I noticed it stayed like that for a while. The issue eventually went away, probably when the Waze app was updated. Have you tried downloading the latest update?
Old 10-01-2018, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GreenandGold831
Waze was doing this a few weeks ago and I noticed it stayed like that for a while. The issue eventually went away, probably when the Waze app was updated. Have you tried downloading the latest update?
Yes. I have the latest Waze update. The crazy thing is that it is happening to other apps also. I just notice it in Waze because it shows the current speed on the screen.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 335 Likes on 209 Posts

Plus one from me but not 10mph. Waze overestimates my speed by 5-6mph,
Old 04-23-2019, 08:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I apologize knowing this is an old thread but did you ever resolve this issue with the GPS being off when plugged in?
Originally Posted by PortlandJo
2016 F150 Sync 3.0 build 18093 no navigation

I noticed that my Waze app on my iphone always showed about 10 mph faster than my actual speed when it was plugged into the USB port on my truck. As soon as I unplug the USB cord from my phone the speed is correct. I have verified that the issue is consistent with Waze and other speedometer apps. I even downloaded the GPS diagnostic app to verify my findings. The GPS location seems to be spot on but the speed is always off. I do notice a slight difference with the number of GPS satellites my phone utilizes when its plugged into the USB port. I was under the impression that trucks with no navigation do not have a GPS module, but it seems like my phone is trying to use something "external" to get information from satellites.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2019, 09:24 PM
Senior Lurker

Received 156 Likes on 110 Posts

For what it's worth- Waze matches my speedo perfectly.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fordxlt
For what it's worth- Waze matches my speedo perfectly.
Same here.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:48 PM

I've narrowed it down to when car play is enabled, if I disable that it is fine also. Found some threads but no solution
Old 04-24-2019, 07:53 AM

Received 335 Likes on 209 Posts

Same for me. Waze gets my speed perfectly when not being used on CarPlay. When using CarPlay it doesn’t show my speed but gives me a speeding alert about 7-8mph too soon. Drove me crazy so I turned the speed alert off.

For it what it’s worth I am an Apple user. Recently “upgraded” from a 6 plus to an XS phone. Problem with Waze remained the same.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:43 AM

When I got my truck a few weeks ago I was on an earlier version of Sync, not positive what that was. I updated and the issue started. It wasn't happening on the earlier version. And I'm on Iphone X. I see the issue in other threads but nothing more. I like Carplay, but this it's bothering me that it's doing this. I'd like to go back to prior version of sync, but not sure if that's doable.

Quick Reply: Waze/GPS Speeds are 10mph off when iPhone is plugged into USB