Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washer Fluid Pump No Workie

Old 02-11-2018, 11:18 PM

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Unhappy Washer Fluid Pump No Workie

So, went down to NY for the week for work. Driving down, was able to wash windshield without issue. On the way back, noticed that I could push the button to wash, the wipers would go, but no fluid would spray out.

I'll confirm in the morning, but I do not believe this to be a lack of fluid. I can't even hear the pump go. Button still works because the wipers go like they should. Can't find a fuse in the manual marked for washer pump.

Anybody got any suggestions? I'm leaving for Florida on Friday and don't think I can get it into the shop before then. Would much prefer to fix myself if possible.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:18 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Temperature near/below freezing? The pump's working, but the check valve is frozen. Search around here for windshield washer check valve and you'll find it discussed ad nauseum. There's a TSB out for a replacement part, or you can just drill the valve out.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:20 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,391 Posts

First off, Wouldn't be surprised if you're just out of fluid.

There have been a few reports of failed washer pumps but the only real way to fix it is to let the dealer replace it under warranty.

I never use mine but after reading a thread a month or two back I thought I'd better go out and check mine as my warranty will expire this April. Pressed the button and nothing. Took to the dealer and they told me the problem was because I never use it there was just enough sediment built up at the bottom of the tank to block the fluid. They wanted $170 to fix it. I told them no thanks and took it home and fixed myself by undoing the hose up by the battery that feeds the spray tubes and blew into the hose that comes from the tank. This dislodged the sediment. Then proceeded to turn the wipers/washer on and drained the tank. refilled and all is well. Now every time I wash the truck I turn the windshield washers on for about thirty seconds to keep the flow.

Getting to the bottom of the fluid tank is a PITA. You have to remove the battery and a couple other items to get down to it. I'd assume you could get to it from underneath if you had a lift to put it on.

Not saying this is your problem. Just relating my experience and letting you know other than my problem, replacing the pump would seem to be the only fix and that's something you want the dealer to do. As mentioned could certainly be the check valve.

Will be curious what the problem turns out to be.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:05 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I had same issue in FL the screen in the bottom plugged up 3 times when the tank went low, the dealer found out the bulk chem they were buying was have a reaction with fluoride in the water causing it to plug up
Old 02-12-2018, 06:15 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Totally forgot about the check-valve issue. Though, its been near 50 all weekend and that hasn't helped...

For all of you, when you had the issue, did you stop hearing the whirring of the pump totally?
Old 02-12-2018, 11:27 AM

Definitely something with the pump.

Fluid level was low, but not out. Filled and still no joy.
Found a right-angle adapter right near the battery. Unclipped the hose from tank side of the elbow and tried to wash - nothing shot out. Pump isn't running.

I know I can get to the tank if I take out the headlight, but really don't want to do that on my short time window. I'll have to see if I can get to it from the wheel well if I pull down the liner. Otherwise, I'll have to beg to get into the dealer.

Also now realize I have to do something with the fluid in the tank now that I've filled it. lol
Old 02-12-2018, 02:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2016 had the same problem, dropped it off last week to fix a multitude of problems with the truck. Dealer says they fixed it, not sure what the cause was since they still have it, but I unhooked one the T's under the hood, hit the wiper button, a small amount of water squirted out but that was it, and the pump was still running.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:38 PM

Found another thread where the OP had the same issue and made a how-to to replace the pump.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/winds...failed-399021/

Looks like OEM is $33 from dealer, or aftermarket is $26 from O'Reilly's.

What do y'all think - aftermarket or oem? Does it matter?
Old 02-13-2018, 01:15 PM

Received 262 Likes on 120 Posts

[QUOTE What do y'all think - aftermarket or oem? Does it matter?[/QUOTE]

Well apparently the OEM didn't last to long for you, and if there is a thread with others having the same issue, I would try something else, especially if its cheaper.
The following users liked this post:
bhamilton (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by WhiskyBadger
[QUOTE What do y'all think - aftermarket or oem? Does it matter?

Well apparently the OEM didn't last to long for you, and if there is a thread with others having the same issue, I would try something else, especially if its cheaper. [/QUOTE]

That's kinda where my head is at as well. Just looking to get other's opionions. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Washer Fluid Pump No Workie