Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty work 2015 SCREW Lariat Sport 502a 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 03:28 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Warranty work 2015 SCREW Lariat Sport 502a 4x4

I took my truck in yesterday to my local dealership for several issues (28000 miles.) It's the only dealership in my town and I did not purchase this truck from them, although I did purchase my last F150 from them new in 2012.

Issues were rear clunk when turning/uneven ground, moon roof leaking water coming down passenger pillar and also dripped from center of roof out of the rear window button, harsh shift from 5-4, rough idle, and seat backs not cooling (I know there is the sock TSB for this and it has not been done to mine yet.) I took a print out of all the TSBs in with me.

I was told that the rear clunk is normal and they have another truck on the lot that also does this. It has just recently started doing this within the last month. It's super annoying. Can't see how this is normal if it just started. I mentioned that others have reported this and had rear leaf springs replaced or either the isolaters, but they don't seem to want to do anything about it. No TSB on this that I could locate...

I started noticing a very faint musty smell recently, but never could track any water down in my truck until it started visibly leaking. I almost thought my mind was playing a trick on me because it still has a new smell, too. We have been getting a lot of rain in N FL this past week. They said the drain tube had become disconnected and it was fixed. I asked about the headliner and they said it was "fine" and didn't need to be replaced since it is mostly fiberglass with a thin padding. They want to take it completely out to allow it to dry out. Is this reasonable? If was my carpet I would really lay in on it being replaced, but I am not sure about the headliner. Which I haven't completely ruled out a possible leak on the rear wall or sliding rear window seal that I have read about.

I was told that my truck did not have the TSB for the hard shift from 5-4 and that they would need to have their transmission guy look at it to try to replicate it. You can probably already tell by reading this, that I am a very particular individual. I really don't want my truck being driven around all hell's creation trying to replicate this. I don't really understand why they couldn't just reprogram the PCM per the TSB to the latest IDS? I am no expert so I am just asking here. The TSB here does not have a manufactured date range or anything that leads me to believe it doesn't apply to my truck.

No mention on the rough idle yet, but I imagine there won't be any action on it either. I am no betting man, but I bet I will be changing the spark plugs and making sure they are gapped properly.

They have my seats tore apart now. I had called them back and was going to tell them not to even worry about it after the service desk frustrated me with the other news so far. My luck the seats will not go back together correctly, or something. Sucks to have this OCD element, but it is what it is. If they don't complete the TSB recommendation, then I will either but the kit that I read about on here, or live with it the way it is.

Any real recommendations or advice here, or am i on the right track?

Last edited by RyanRobinson; 06-07-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:11 PM

Service manager called me and I mentioned that I found several of the same issues on a forum. "Ford doesn't care about what you read on a forum." Even when I bring in the TSBs. So much for trying to be an informed customer. I really didn't want to use this dealership, as their reputation is not of the highest caliber. Exactly why I didn't purchase again from them....
I am really frustrated and he asked me if I wanted them to do the work, that I could come and get it if i didn't want them to. Just not the type of customer experience I would ever want. I really hate dealing with dealerships. Sorry to vent, but.....
Old 06-07-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 401 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanRobinson
Sucks to have this OCD element, but it is what it is.
I didn't see anything in this post that remotely resembed obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD). Being **** retentive yes but not OCD.

Last edited by Brand; 06-07-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 143 Likes on 84 Posts

The key is getting it to a good dealer in the first place. The convenience factor of going to the closest one isn't worth the hassle of poor service. Go elsewhere next time. Your not being picky, they are being sloppy (and lazy and pretty rude with the forum comment.)
The following users liked this post:
RyanRobinson (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 05:42 PM

Received 141 Likes on 96 Posts

I have the 5-4 problem intermittently, and can't duplicate it myself. It happens randomly in sport and regular mode. I'm afraid it's a quirk that I will have to live with.

The rough idle can be tied to the load from the AC system. I notice it only with the AC on.

The sock won't help the seat back. Skip it. Totally worthless. Either spend the money on the SeatGuru fix (which isn't perfect, but better than anything else) or live with it.

Sucks... I feel your pain.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Dealerships get certain ratings that allow them to either just do the warranty work with a tech's recommendation, or require them to call a hotline and submit photos and go through all the gimmicks. My guess is this dealership is required to go through all the hoops to get approval, which means more down time for the techs. Techs and downtime don't mix well. Service advisors get paid based on hours turned/parts sold. Techs get paid on hours turned. If they aren't trying to do something it's likely because they can't, or they don't like a paycheck.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by white15lariat
I have the 5-4 problem intermittently, and can't duplicate it myself. It happens randomly in sport and regular mode. I'm afraid it's a quirk that I will have to live with.

The rough idle can be tied to the load from the AC system. I notice it only with the AC on.

The sock won't help the seat back. Skip it. Totally worthless. Either spend the money on the SeatGuru fix (which isn't perfect, but better than anything else) or live with it.

Sucks... I feel your pain.
Thanks. Mine is totally intermittent with the 5-4 down shift, also. I am certain I will get the "we can't replicate it" response and no action will be taken. I guess I have 100k miles on the power train warranty and it will be documented that I brought it in. If that issue would even lead to a transmission failure of some sort.

I haven't noticed that about the AC, but I will pay close attention to it once I get my truck back.

I had called them back to tell them to skip the sock but they already had the seats apart. I just hope they go back together right.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:11 AM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Unfortunately I see their diagnosis as normal.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I found the way to replicate the 5-4 problem is to lightly press the gas while climbing a hill. If the truck is under throttle, it tends to downshift hard. The trick is giving it enough gas while still letting it downshift. I have not tried using the gear lockout buttons to force a downshift.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:17 AM

Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Default Go to a different dealer

The service department at the dealership where I bought my truck (Fort Mill Ford in SC) sucks. Argue with you about everything. Incompetent. Went to a different dealership in South Charlotte (Felix Sabanes). A different world. They actually want my business. Called them about the 5-4 downshift TSB. They had me bring it in same day and applied it in one hr. I also have a Ford Focus. They replaced the clutch on warranty for that in 4 hrs. No questions on either..