Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty repair - Sun roof - Dealer to charge extra to hook back up my mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 01:05 PM
Rather be on the lake

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Warranty repair - Sun roof - Dealer to charge extra to hook back up my mods

Took my 2016 into service because the sunroof stopped opening. They are installing an entirely new sun roof system...great!

Dealer just called and said he has the center console apart and asked what the additional wires are. I explained that I ran a USB cable from the front usb plug that is under the sliding compartment into the center console and there is wires for led lights that I installed in the footwells.

He said there will be an additional charge to disconnect and then put everything back as it is which will be roughly 1-2 service hours or $100-$200.

I told him I would come pickup the truck and disconnect it myself. Which he then responded we are already past that point.

I think this is crazy since its simply two usb wires that just have to snaked through and the led wires could just be cut and reconnected with terminals...simple 10 minute job.

I also feel that this is something they should just do as courtesy because if the sunroof had continued functioning as intended I would not be there in the first place.

I did not buy the truck from this dealership.

Should I call back complain?
Just eat the cost to have them do it and move on?
Have them leave everything disconnected and figure out how to get it all back together myself?
Old 08-21-2018, 01:21 PM

Received 496 Likes on 345 Posts

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:34 PM
Ezekiel 25:17

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,215 Posts

If they did work without your written approval it’s on them. It’ll be on you to hook it all back up though.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:13 PM

Received 348 Likes on 243 Posts

Generally speaking, I would not expect the dealer to take on additional labor costs related to your modifications making a warranty service more time-consuming. I rather hope they don't need to pull my front bumper at any point, because it's a much bigger PITA than the OEM bumper to deal with, especially with the winch hooked up.

With that said, your description doesn't sound like a two-hour job, either, although I'd expect them not to be cutting and splicing things to make connecting easier.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

Ford WILL pay to remove aftermarket stuff to repair their stuff. no reason that you should
Old 08-21-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

additional labor costs related to your modifications making a warranty service more time-consuming.
That is the truth, the mech only gets paid for the warranty repair (flag time), if it takes him/her any longer that the prescribed time by FORD then said mechanic eats the time, so he is working on your truck for free for the extra stuff put in his way causing more time than allowed for the job. Now FORD will authorize extra time for certain situations, and they are usually pretty easy about it and by what you described it sounds like FORD will add the time (if needed) no problem.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Rather be on the lake

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

So how do I get them to make Ford pay? I would have assumed they would have done this on their own rather than me figuring out that ford offers this. All we are talking about is clipping two wires that I have soldered to a single wire going to the interior fuse box and snaking two USB cords through the center console into the box under the arm rest
Old 08-21-2018, 05:57 PM

Received 701 Likes on 504 Posts

(Not Legal Advice!) Call Ford Customer Service and get them involved. Ford has a warranty on your vehicle. They are required to repair what they warranteed unless your mods directly led to the failure. Unless your warranty specifically excludes the removal and replacement of your accessories then Ford will have to do it.

Read your warranty (a copy should be available online) and ask the dealer to point to the clause that says they can remove your accessories and not replace them.

If matters need to be escalated call your State Attorney Generals Office and ask about a mechanic removing things from your vehicle without your permission and if he has an obligation to return them to the condition he found them. Also file a complaint (if applicable) and a complaint with the Better Business Bureau although if they have a bunch of unresolved complaints it won't help much.

Disclaimer: I am not an Attorney and am offering my opinion only not legal advice.
​​​
Old 08-21-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 647 Likes on 340 Posts

What does replacing the sun roof have to do with the center arm rest console? Or am I misunderstanding something?
Old 08-21-2018, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,142 Likes on 2,841 Posts

Originally Posted by jm061
What does replacing the sun roof have to do with the center arm rest console? Or am I misunderstanding something?
you have to pull the seats and console in order to remove it

Quick Reply: Warranty repair - Sun roof - Dealer to charge extra to hook back up my mods