Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warped Rotors and Terrible Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 05:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Warped Rotors and Terrible Customer Service

I have been dealing with warped Rotors on my 2015 F-150 Platinum since it had 9K miles. Already been turned once, and I have lived with the shuddering for numerous miles because it hasn't been convenient to take the truck for the day to leave it. Yesterday, I probably decided not to own another Ford Truck after 23 years and 5 F-150's. My dealer told me the warped Rotors would not be covered under warranty and that it was possibly my driving habits. Well, I have never had a vehicle with Warped Rotors in all my years of driving. I told the Service Manager and the advisor I was not happy with this and would be contacting Ford and filling out every online survey I could find. Went home and decided to check the torque on my wheels and each were over 200ftlb.instead of 150. This could also be a contributing factor since they are the only ones to rotate and touch the wheels. I wont be going back to Ford for any service, I'll find another Truck to tow my boat and I would advise anyone not to use the Dealer I went to. UNIVERISTY FORD North in Durham, North Carolina. I advise anyone that has dealt with warped Rotors on the F150 to take it in early and often. I consider it a warranty issue, but apparently Ford does not. Lets see if the call I made to Ford after I left the dealer actually does get a follow-up. I'm also looking at purchasing a Domain with the dealers name in it but a variation so that I can openly post every critical thing about the dealer. Again anyone on the Forum. That is UNIVERSITY FORD in DURHAM, NC. DO not take your truck here
The following users liked this post:
HacksawMark (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 06:36 AM

Received 368 Likes on 283 Posts

I would order this kit and then never step foot in that dealer again.

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-27-2017, 06:57 AM

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

My truck is at the dealer now for a service and to check out some issues, one of them a pulsating brake pedal. They called me yesterday afternoon and told me that the front rotors need to be turned. It is a wear item and not covered under warranty (35K miles on my truck) and will cost me 120.00, pads are still good.

I am going on a 2k mile vacation Saturday so I don't have time to mess with it and told them go ahead and do it. If it happens again I will buy some quality aftermarket rotors and pads and put it on myself. To boot they have to replace my rear bumper because somebody backed into my truck. Sh..t happens I guess.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:10 AM

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

I know of no way to accurately check the torque of a nut or bolt after the fact in a home garage. If you are just grabbing a torque wrench and pulling on it until the nut/bolt moves, that is not a measure of the torque. The final torque value is achieved when the nut/bolt is in motion. When it stops it takes more torque to break it away. Combine that with surface rust/dirt/dust from sitting a while, and the torque required goes up even higher.

It's not over torque that warps rotors, it's uneven torque - meaning not doing it in passes in the proper order.
The following 2 users liked this post by etekberg:
Ricktwuhk (09-27-2017), Tyler L (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

Also, don't bother getting rotors turned. It just makes them more likely to have problems. Just replace them.
The following 2 users liked this post by etekberg:
TenacG15 (09-27-2017), Tyler L (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 07:19 AM

Received 368 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by etekberg
Also, don't bother getting rotors turned. It just makes them more likely to have problems. Just replace them.
Very true. I did not think people even turned rotors anymore...

WTH??? FORD???

Old 09-27-2017, 07:24 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

My brakes were pulsating. Service Manager said: "Since your vehicle is driven infrequently I would suspect some slight rust on the surface of the rotors is causing your pulsation. I would suggest 4 or 5 aggressive, panic type brake applications to clean the brake pads and rotors. I sometimes have to do this on a new vehicle that has been on the lot for some time. On a clear road with no one behind you from 45-50 mph just to the point where the ABS starts to engage. Try that first and see if the pulsation cured. "

This worked perfectly for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
kendive (09-27-2017), Tyler L (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 07:43 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Service Manager said: "Since your vehicle is driven infrequently I would suspect some slight rust on the surface of the rotors is causing your pulsation. I would suggest 4 or 5 aggressive, panic type brake applications to clean the brake pads and rotors. I sometimes have to do this on a new vehicle that has been on the lot for some time.
So much for breaking in Brakes and not glazing the pads on new vehicles
Old 09-27-2017, 07:54 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

I would suggest to go get a second opinion at another Ford dealership... That might help. Interested to see what Ford Customer Service will tell you. Let us know!

Originally Posted by 71_340
My truck is at the dealer now for a service and to check out some issues, one of them a pulsating brake pedal. They called me yesterday afternoon and told me that the front rotors need to be turned. It is a wear item and not covered under warranty (35K miles on my truck) and will cost me 120.00, pads are still good.

I am going on a 2k mile vacation Saturday so I don't have time to mess with it and told them go ahead and do it. If it happens again I will buy some quality aftermarket rotors and pads and put it on myself. To boot they have to replace my rear bumper because somebody backed into my truck. Sh..t happens I guess.
35k miles is a lot, especially if the mileage is all city driving. Sounds like normal wear and tear to me.

But for the OP's truck that has 9k miles, that's a whole other thing.

Last edited by Eduskator; 09-27-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Beo-Chin
So much for breaking in Brakes and not glazing the pads on new vehicles

You should go to the EBC web site and read their break-in procedure. If I remember correctly it is five times hard breaking without a cool off period and then five times with a cool off period.

As far as not turning the rotors and just replacing them.......my dealer turned the front rotors on my 2012 F-150 and they worked perfectly after that.
The following users liked this post:
Slowtrucker (09-27-2017)