Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The waiting is the hardest part

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 08:12 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Default The waiting is the hardest part

After weeks of trying to decide just what to replace my Red Devil, the horrendous hunk of junk Ford built one day back in 2016, the Nemesis of the highway, the Geez why can't you stay straight truck, the what will break next truck, the thanks for killing our vacation truck, I finally made my decision.

I thought about going to an F350 as I found a couple moderately low mile Platinums, but after crunching numbers, and looking at what I would lose in options I liked the most, it just wasn't in the cards. I gave thought to a 19 Ram, I really do like them, but for several reasons, such as no crash ratings, a few options Ford has that Ram doesn't and unknown reliability due to first model year, the decision came down to just get the truck I want.

So Yesterday I placed an order for a 2018 Platinum F150 RWD with 3.5 and just the Max Tow package, no rattle glass, in Magma Red with Marsala interior. MSRP is 60415 and getting it for $52500 plus TTL.

So now for the long wait.

Already have ideas lined up, want to get mirror caps to paint along with door handles, and have them painted to match when the topper is painted, then find a place to wrap the tailgate plaque. Going to leave the grill as is for a while to see if I like it or not, if not then get the bars wrapped as well. Also going to get 3M shield on the hood and fenders and ceramic coating.

I test drove both models, the 5.0 and 3.5 and decided on the 3.5 not because it feel quicker to accelerate, that can just be perception from 200K+ miles of driving them, but because to get comparably equipped to match Max tow, it appears the 5.0 loses payload. There was a 58 pound difference. Might not seem like much, but the EB is within 1 pound of my current trucks payload which I know I have just enough for my needs. I also decided that I want to keep our current trailer a few more years, it is still in like new condition, and since I would not get that value back if I sold it, might as well use and enjoy it. To counter the kids growing taller, I will replace the Futon that has arm rests, with one that doesn't and that will accommodate them as they grow taller.

In a few years if we are still into camping, then I may get a DTV Superduty and larger trailer, but for now, I am going to enjoy a new Platinum. I tried so hard to enjoy my current truck but s*** keeps breaking.

This is what I am going for on the tailgate.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:21 PM

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts

Sweet. Good luck with your new purchase!
The following users liked this post:
acdii (06-26-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
After weeks of trying to decide just what to replace my Red Devil, the horrendous hunk of junk Ford built one day back in 2016, the Nemesis of the highway, the Geez why can't you stay straight truck, the what will break next truck, the thanks for killing our vacation truck, I finally made my decision.

I thought about going to an F350 as I found a couple moderately low mile Platinums, but after crunching numbers, and looking at what I would lose in options I liked the most, it just wasn't in the cards. I gave thought to a 19 Ram, I really do like them, but for several reasons, such as no crash ratings, a few options Ford has that Ram doesn't and unknown reliability due to first model year, the decision came down to just get the truck I want.

So Yesterday I placed an order for a 2018 Platinum F150 RWD with 3.5 and just the Max Tow package, no rattle glass, in Magma Red with Marsala interior. MSRP is 60415 and getting it for $52500 plus TTL.

So now for the long wait.

Already have ideas lined up, want to get mirror caps to paint along with door handles, and have them painted to match when the topper is painted, then find a place to wrap the tailgate plaque. Going to leave the grill as is for a while to see if I like it or not, if not then get the bars wrapped as well. Also going to get 3M shield on the hood and fenders and ceramic coating.

I test drove both models, the 5.0 and 3.5 and decided on the 3.5 not because it feel quicker to accelerate, that can just be perception from 200K+ miles of driving them, but because to get comparably equipped to match Max tow, it appears the 5.0 loses payload. There was a 58 pound difference. Might not seem like much, but the EB is within 1 pound of my current trucks payload which I know I have just enough for my needs. I also decided that I want to keep our current trailer a few more years, it is still in like new condition, and since I would not get that value back if I sold it, might as well use and enjoy it. To counter the kids growing taller, I will replace the Futon that has arm rests, with one that doesn't and that will accommodate them as they grow taller.

In a few years if we are still into camping, then I may get a DTV Superduty and larger trailer, but for now, I am going to enjoy a new Platinum. I tried so hard to enjoy my current truck but s*** keeps breaking.

This is what I am going for on the tailgate.
OOPS... Thought this was a Tom Petty post... Carry on.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:35 PM

LOL Actually I was going to do that and forgot

Old 06-27-2018, 08:14 PM

Received 232 Likes on 172 Posts

I would leave the door handles chrome and not PTM they will get scratched up chrome is more durable....thats what I did anyway
Old 06-27-2018, 08:32 PM

Received 107 Likes on 69 Posts

Interesting... Canadian Platinums appear to be available in only 4wd, only 5.0, only SuperCrew 6 1/2'. No other choices.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by mdphotographer
I would leave the door handles chrome and not PTM they will get scratched up chrome is more durable....thats what I did anyway
Considering a wrap instead, if they have a color that is close to the Magma Red on the dark side. Will see once I get the truck, I may like it the way it is and only have the tailgate wrapped. Going to get an estimate next week at a place near me that does the clear 3M shield as I want that done the day I get the truck, not taking any chances after what happened to the paint on my current truck from road salt. Also going to do a Hydrophobic coating.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

A whole new chapter for you! Can't wait for updates with pics
Old 06-28-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

You are going to have one sweet truck. Magma red.......drool!
Old 06-28-2018, 04:44 PM

Received 430 Likes on 329 Posts

I have to ask since you had issues with your Ford in the past. Why are you sticking with Ford. why not a 250 vs the 350.

I liked the way the ford handles and drives over the chevy and dodge. Unless the ram has the optional air suspension then I like that even better. stock to stock - but then reliability of that air system. I hear it's fine.

just curious. I do like your plan on the platinum tailgate thing.

Quick Reply: The waiting is the hardest part