Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UnderCover Flex Tonneau - Review

Old 09-08-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Default UnderCover Flex Tonneau - Review

I wanted to give some feedback to others that may be experiencing issues with Undercover Flex. I purchased the tonneau and installed myself. I experienced a couple of issues that might be easy to overlook and cause leaking.

You can see in this photo the screw was interfering with the bed rail seals. I moved the screw over and then sealed the old hole. This allowed the panel to make clean contact with the rails. I could also see a large indentation in the foam seal on the rails and water was allowed to leak around. It was not a centering issue as the cover was properly centered, there was physically not enough distance (center to center) to put the panel such that the screw would not interfere with the rail seal. My seal contact on both left and right edges of the panels were centered, so the issue was the actual location of the screw.

The right side panels the screws were installed at 1 5/8" from edge, on the left they were 1 1/8". I simply moved the screws over on the left side so they matched. From the best I could tell these screws were only to retain the fold seals in the panels, they were not structural.

I was a little disappointed to be having to modify the cover to work properly but it was easier than return shipping, etc. Once the screws were moved and the seals were contacting the panels correctly it seemed to be fairly water resistant. I haven't experienced another large rainstorm to fully verify.

Overall the cover quality was so-so. There was black tar adhesive on several of the outside surfaces and fold areas. I had to scrub to get this oversqueezed adhesive off of the rubber and FRP panels. Again, not what I would have expected for this price point.

The following users liked this post:
BStrummin (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 01:40 PM

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks for this. I went with one of these instead of a BAK model like I had on my old truck, and based on the install and a few days of using it I'm regretting the purchase. They did some things better (the rail design for one), but the finish quality is poor and the clip retention system seems like a good idea, until you realize you can't just have one panel open and fastened without a separate clip/strap. The BAK used metal rings so you could just use bungies at any panel. Also the rail end with the drain fitting is plastic and seems very cheap, whereas the BAK was metal.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:24 PM

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I have the same cover, anybody else having issues with the little sponge pads falling off? Not a big deal I know I can just glue some furniture pads or something on from the hardware store or something but I had 1 fall off on the first day and now I notice 2 others are gone.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:01 PM

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

I have the same cover and have none of the issues that have been mentioned above.
Am very satisfied with this cover.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too had a backflip on my 2012 and agree with you. The rails on the undercover are a better design IMO but the fit/finish is severely lacking...enough so that I may demand a return from the local dealer. I'm going to give them a chance at making it right first.
Sealant all over the place. TONS of metal shavings, even had one cut through the edge rail seal. I do like that the panels are a little lighter weight and like the strap system in conjunction with the props. Another silly detail, the prop rod retaining clips prevent middle placement of the clamps...the middle one has to be offset
Old 10-16-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Why can't any of these aftermarket guys use the rail system ford does? The rails have a lip that aligns them down the edge of the bed.. No guessing and adjusting height of the rails.. I have the undercover and like it but I had a demo for awhile with the oem ford cover and their design is just better..
Old 10-17-2015, 12:06 PM

Received 27 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a Flex cover on my 2015 for about 4 months now. It hasn't been the greatest experience especially considering the cost of these things.

1. The sealed box was missing the rails for the cover. Really? How does that happen. Shop got me a new cover in 2 days.

2. 2 months later the bar at the back with the latches came off. Screws stripped out. Back to the shop. Their response was to move the screws over and be careful not to over-tighten. Great. Emailed Undercover and they essentially told me the same thing and even provided a YouTube link where it shows how to do the repair. Wow. If its that common that it warrants a video..... USE BIGGER SCREWS AT THE FACTORY. Anyway. I did as instructed and hoped for the best.

3. Two months later, same issue again. This time I emailed Undercover and told them how unhappy I am and that I'm even considering getting a new cover form another manufacturer. Their response? They sent me a new latch bar mechanism ( nothing wrong with the original one ) with the same small screws. WOW. I give up. I'm going to use an adhesive under the current bar with larger screws and look for a different cover in the spring.

I should also mention that I have an engineering and quality assurance background so this stuff drives me absolutely nuts. Also, When I use the cover I make sure to support the bar when I pull the cable to unlatch it, and always close the tailgate prior to putting the cover down.

I'm sharing my experience so people know that these covers are not as problem free as you may hear. I'm not ranting from atop a soapbox, but just sharing my experience with this product.

The following users liked this post:
jt2002hd (10-19-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to return the my first Undercover Flex because it was to long by over a half inch on the passenger side ( drivers side was correct length) this would not allow for it to close with the tailgate closed damaged the tail gate cover. It took them over a week and close to 100 photos for them to agree with my diagnosis of the issue. The second one has the same issue as the OP and it also has a water leak through a screw in the back were they did not seal It. Fit and finish is medium at best for a premium price. I had to seal the plastic drain at the front of the rails, it is not sealed from the factory on either unit and water will seep out if not sealed. To be honest if I could return it I would but now I am stuck. I have decided to just fix the issues I have found and see if it lasts longer than the 3 year warranty.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:01 PM

Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Glad I just went with the one directly from Ford. They are all basically the same thing but at least the one from Ford is covered under the truck warranty.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DonBurrow
I too had a backflip on my 2012 and agree with you. The rails on the undercover are a better design IMO but the fit/finish is severely lacking...enough so that I may demand a return from the local dealer. I'm going to give them a chance at making it right first.
Sealant all over the place. TONS of metal shavings, even had one cut through the edge rail seal. I do like that the panels are a little lighter weight and like the strap system in conjunction with the props. Another silly detail, the prop rod retaining clips prevent middle placement of the clamps...the middle one has to be offset
I had the exact same probem with my g2. I'm still waiting for a replacement. I bought it a month ago.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: UnderCover Flex Tonneau - Review