Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck canopy/topper + Bakflip tonneau cover

Old 02-07-2019, 06:01 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Question Truck canopy/topper + Bakflip tonneau cover

Hey Everyone
I'm currently using a Bakflip MX4 hard tonneau cover. Works great for my everyday needs, but I'm looking for kayak & SUP rack solution for when I go camping and am towing my trailer. Currently my plan is to buy a used canopy/topper, with integrated Yakima/Thule tracks so that I can use my Yakima rack for the kayaks and SUPs, and be able to load the bed with bikes and other stuff.
What I'm wondering is if anyone is using a similar setup? In particular, I'm wondering if I can keep the Bakflip rails still mounted when I have the canopy/topper installed? I would remove the actual tonneau cover before installing the canopy, & vice-versa. The canopy would be stored in the garage, using a hoist mounted on the ceiling. I'm hoping that the clamps used by the canopy/topper would be able to accommodate the 1" extra width that the Bakflip rail intrudes on the bed?

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Tony
Old 02-07-2019, 07:19 PM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

I don’t think it’s feasible.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:15 PM

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

@tcp2 had a picture up on F150ecoboost showing his setup with the bakflip MX4 and roof rack on rails. Don't think he even needs to take the tonneau off as the rails are on top of the bed rail.

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/a...ew-capture.jpg

Old 02-08-2019, 02:04 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I have been looking into a TracRac system, but I really want the larger waterproof and secure storage area that the canopy provides, while still carrying the kayak & SUPs up top. If I have to remove the Bakflip rails every time, so be it, but if I could keep them on with the canopy that would be ideal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck canopy/topper + Bakflip tonneau cover