Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission shifts slowly into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 09:27 PM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Transmission shifts slowly into reverse

Since I first bought my new truck (2016 3.5 Eco), I’ve noticed it is very slow to shift into reverse after sitting all night. The engine would run for 2-4 seconds before the transmission fully engages in reverse.

I recently returned from vacation where the truck had been unused for more than a week.After starting, and shifting into reverse, the transmission didn’t fully engage. In fact, I could rev up the engine and although the truck would slowly roll back, the transmission definitely wasn’t engaged fully. The engine would speed up, but the truck would barely roll backwards. After about 10 seconds, the transmission slowly engaged fully. Once engaged, it would shift back and forth between forward and reverse perfectly.

This problem only occurs after the truck has been unused for at least a day. Once the truck has been run and sits for an hour or more, the transmission shifts perfectly. I’ve now got about 7,500 miles on the truck and I’ve noticed the problem since I first bought it.

Anyone else notice this with their trucks?

Last edited by thompstl1; 09-19-2016 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission shifts slowly into reverse