Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Tow Mirror Disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 01:52 AM

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Trailer Tow Mirror Disassembly

I have a trailer tow mirror that is damaged. I am thinking it may be salvageable by buying the cheapest tow mirror I can find, and harvesting the core from it. Basically rebuild it with the guts of this one to get the power adjust, turn signal/spot light, puddle lamp, etc.

Anyone run across a good guide for how to disassemble these mirrors and not do further damage?

If I get it apart I may be able to reinforce the cracks with fiberglass and epoxy in the inside and skip the total rebuild step.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Tow Mirror Disassembly-photo899.jpg  
Old 03-13-2019, 02:20 AM

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Is this of any help to you?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mirror info.pdf (525.3 KB, 7137 views)
Old 03-13-2019, 02:35 AM

Thank you, I didn't even think to look through the factory manual. I figured this would be one of those items that they say to just replace the entire thing.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple years ago I damaged a mirror much like yours. I tried repairing it with epoxy and fiberglass but I was missing a couple pieces and you could see where I repaired it. I ended up buying the cheapest mirror I could find and used the front piece from it. I used a small pry bar to pry the mirrors off with. Follow the guide above for disassembly and you’ll be fine. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:09 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I got a set of free tow mirrors for my 2011 F-150 back in the day, one was cracked. Used some bondo I had laying around, smoothed it out and then hit it with some textured bedliner paint. Didn't turn out too bad at all. Might be worth trying, can't really mess it up worse.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KG7BTU, I'm in the same boat as you were and I was wondering if you had success disassembling your mirror and rebuilding it with parts from a cheaper one?
The dealer quoted me $1875 CAD to replace my driver side mirror! If I can rebuild it, I will post pictures to help others.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup, someone crossed the center line by on a residential street by my house and smashed part of the housing on my power trailer mirror a couple of weeks ago. $1854 CDN to get it replaced including labour and tax through FixAuto in Ottawa. Thankfully covered by insurance. I'll probably put my old one up for sale at some point.

marc 85, if you do need a new one check out Eastgate Ford in Hamilton. Their parts website is cheaper than most in Canada. If you're local you can pick up your parts and save on shipping. I bought a pile of parts from them in the past and just made the drive, still saved money.

https://www.eastgatefordpartscanada....t/mirrors-scat
Old 01-24-2020, 12:56 PM

I did not try using parts from another mirror, I was able to open up the mirror I had and I used some epoxy putty on the inside to realign and reinforce the cracked area. I think I broke a few of the tabs as I was disassembling, but it has held up well.

I lightly sanded the inside around the cracked areas, and then worked the putty into the void. I can still see the crack if I look closely at the mirror, but its solid.

Quick Reply: Trailer Tow Mirror Disassembly