Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Brakes not working please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 12:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Trailer Brakes not working please help

I bought a Jayco 32BHDS today but I found that the brake controller did nothing. I put the truck on a slight incline and put in neutral and applied the lever but nothing happened. I was not far from the camp site and I was able to safely get the camper there but now I am not sure what to do. I got to the campground late today so I did not have much time to troubleshoot. I know that all of the lights respond to inputs i.e. turn signals and brake lights but the breaks do not stop anything on the trailer. My + and - to the right of the slider of the brake controller are not illuminated at night. Is this suppose to have light to it? Also note that the trailer trip meter read the actual mileage I towed the camper. The slider and the + and - buttons do not change anything on LCD.

My Truck
2015 F-150 XLT Super crew
3.55 locking rear
4x4
I only have the small LCD screen in the instrument cluster with the 4 mechanical gauges at the top
3.5L eco boost
Factory tow package but not the HD version.

Thank you for any help you guys can offer.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:59 AM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Have you checked all of the fuses between the trailer and pigtail? Maybe one of the fuses blew when you hooked it up.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Manuellabour247
Have you checked all of the fuses between the trailer and pigtail? Maybe one of the fuses blew when you hooked it up.
That is the first thing I plan to check in the am
Old 03-06-2016, 01:28 AM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Is the trailer auto adjusting drum?
Old 03-06-2016, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Manuellabour247
Is the trailer auto adjusting drum?
Update
All fuses and relays in truck are working. I went to a friend's house that has a dump trailer and connected his trailer to the truck. All lights on the trailer lite up like the camper and the truck identified that the dump trailer had a bad right brake light but the brakes on the trailer did not respond to the controller slider. I also noted that pressing the plus and the negative on the stock brake controller makes no impact on the dash read out. It never mentions the gain. Anyone please help.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:02 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

It sounds like a problem that would need warranty work. You probably know that by now.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by austingta
It sounds like a problem that would need warranty work. You probably know that by now.
I'm headed to the dealer first thing in the morning I was just hoping to avoid a trip there. Not to mention I have a to ask my dodge friend to tow my camper to a storage lot, I will never hear the end of it.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:50 AM

Update the dealership seems to thing the module has gone bad. They ordered and replacement from a semi local dealer and asked me to come back this afternoon for insulation. I will update soon.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:47 PM

My solution the the failed brake controller! It handled well. Stopping was a little tricky, but managable
Old 03-07-2016, 10:52 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Gidor

My solution the the failed brake controller! It handled well. Stopping was a little tricky, but managable
love it

Quick Reply: Trailer Brakes not working please help