Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded the 2.7 Ecoboost in for a 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 05:48 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Traded the 2.7 Ecoboost in for a 5.0

Some background on my truck; I bought it March 30'th last year with 2 miles on the odometer. 2018 F-150 XL Sport 101A 4x4 2.7 ecoboost. I have done zero modifications to the drivetrain (unless you count an air filter and cat back exhaust), only the suspension and cosmetics. I've maintained this truck religiously and outside of a few times I've gone out and played in the woods it's lived a pampered life (and even in the woods it wasn't beaten on, mostly slow crawling). Now on to the story;

I had 29,000 problem free miles with my 2.7 and then all of a sudden it decided it didn't want to run on all 6 cylinders anymore. I dropped it off at the dealer and they diagnosed it as a misfire on cylinders 2 and 5. They replaced all of the high pressure fuel injectors as well as the coil and spark plug on the problem cylinder. While it was in for service it was also discovered that it was leaking oil from the plastic oil pan where it meets the engine, the oil feed line to the left turbo at the fitting and the corner of the valve cover gasket. Once all that was repaired I went and picked up the truck only to make it about 500 feet from the service bay and the check engine light returned. I returned it to the service dept for them to discover that it is now misfiring on cylinder 6 due to the low pressure injector hanging open. During the next week the dealer ended up replacing all of the low pressure injectors due to randomly sticking open and causing misfires on multiple cylinders. The dealer once again reached out and had me pick up the vehicle. This time I made it about 30 minutes away only for the check engine light to return due to misfiring (I stopped for gas and upon restart it was immediately running like crap). So naturally I call the dealer and tell them whats going on and I plan on dropping it back off. At this point I'm pretty upset but still relatively calm about the situation as it's not like its anyone's fault the truck is having these issues, I've wrenched on vehicles most of my life, these things happen. While on my way back to the dealer one of the intake lines on the turbo decides to let go and I lose most of the power, and so I call the dealer yet again. I spoke with a manager and informed them of the situation, explain whats been going on, and how I'm starting to think I might have a lemon on my hands. Once I arrive I meet with the manager of the service department and the manager of the sales department that I bought the vehicle from last year and we start talking about moving out of that truck and into another. They also offered to go to bat for me with ford if I did decide I wanted to file a lemon claim, I cant stress enough how good the dealer was through the ordeal. Within about 12 hours I was signing paperwork for a 2019 F-150 XLT 302A 5.0 4x4 with just about every option! Also due to the issues I had with the previous truck they threw in a 6 year 100k mile warranty and all scheduled maintenance covered to 100k miles! The only down side is the deal with my girlfriend is I have to wait until we buy a house before I can modify the truck, we'll see how long I can hold out! I already busted out the laptop and did some forscanning this morning! So that's the story, on to the pics!

Disclaimer; this isn't any sort of knock on the ecoboosts, I loved my 2.7 for the entire time I owned it and it's amazing the power and fuel economy you get from it, but I've also always had terrible luck personally on several different turbo powered fords in my life and the 5.0 has always been a solid performer for me personally.

Last edited by Pyroman_28; 06-16-2019 at 05:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RobTx (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 08:04 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I hope the new rig serves you better.

Do you have the opportunity to move any of the mods over to your new rig? It seems like a shame to lose those on the trade.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fatmattyd
I hope the new rig serves you better.

Do you have the opportunity to move any of the mods over to your new rig? It seems like a shame to lose those on the trade.

Unfortunately they were figured on the trade in value of the truck so they stayed on. I look at it like a blank slate to build something new and better!
Old 06-16-2019, 10:00 PM
US Army Medic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sharp looking truck on top.. if I end up keeping mine (which means the 5.0L oil issue is fixed) I'd love it to look like yours.
Pyroman_28 (06-17-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 10:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Love the white! When it comes time to buy a house let me know and I’ll save you tons on a mortgage. Those trees look like Florida and that’s where I am.

More money saved for mods!
Pyroman_28 (06-16-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 06:38 PM

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

One question how did you make out financially on your new rig sounds like a great deal I wish you luck with the 5.0
Old 06-17-2019, 06:59 PM
Save the Manuals

Received 548 Likes on 196 Posts

Looks like you went with the crew cab. How do you like it coming from the super cab?
Old 06-17-2019, 07:10 PM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

I suggest never using that dealers service facility again.
jcb206 (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 07:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Curious

Originally Posted by Wrenchbender
One question how did you make out financially on your new rig sounds like a great deal I wish you luck with the 5.0
Did you lose a bunch of money?
Old 06-17-2019, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by tweezy
Looks like you went with the crew cab. How do you like it coming from the super cab?
I love it! Having an extra foot doesn't sound like a big deal but it makes a huge difference in functional space in the back. The only drawback I've come across is the smaller box size. I used every inch of that 6 foot box on the other truck so I'm having to adapt to 5.5 feet.

Originally Posted by Wrenchbender
Originally Posted by Qubie77
Did you lose a bunch of money?
Not really. With all the rebates they were offering at the time along with X plan and a little sympathy from management about the situation with my trucks issues I made out alright in the end even though I was a upside down on the other truck.

Originally Posted by jrsmiles
Love the white! When it comes time to buy a house let me know and I’ll save you tons on a mortgage. Those trees look like Florida and that’s where I am.

More money saved for mods!
Thanks! Yea I'm in the St Augustine / Jacksonville area. I need to find a house ASAP so I can get this new truck lifted! lol

Quick Reply: Traded the 2.7 Ecoboost in for a 5.0