Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Control off vs AdvanceTrac off vs AdvanceTrac Sport Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 01:31 PM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Traction Control off vs AdvanceTrac off vs AdvanceTrac Sport Mode?

Yeah I know there are a few other threads previously on this but those still didn't answer my questions.

What's the difference between Traction Control off {single tap of button} and AdvanceTrac off {long press 5 sec of button}, or for that matter, between just Traction Control and AdvanceTrac.

And then you have the double tap for AdvanceTrac Sport Mode, which I don't think actually puts the truck in "Sport Mode" like someone else stated in another thread. It seems to do the same thing whether you are already in Sport Mode or normal driving.

I have read the OM about these and still doesn't explain everything (at least not to where I can make sense of it).

And what exactly does "Enable with Higher Threshold Target" mean anyway?

Single Tap

Long Press

Double Tap while in Reg Mode

Double Tap while in Sport Mode

As you can see by the light on the tach, the "Traction Control" is off in all cases.

Hope somebody truly knows (and not just quessing) and can help me understand a little better what the differences in all this really is while still keeping it fairly simple.

Tanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by TerryH22:
BadCon (09-16-2018), Shann (01-18-2021)
Old 02-02-2016, 02:13 PM
LONG TIME FORD GUY

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

I would like to know also.. I've played with this while driving and really see no difference ( dry road ) . maybe I'm not meeting the conditions it was meant for I dunno...
Old 02-02-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 150 Likes on 117 Posts

Subscribed
Old 02-02-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Traction control uses ABS to keep your wheels from spinning when you are pushing the gas pedal and losing their grip on the road.

AdvanceTrac is made up of Traction control and Electronic Stability Control. ESC helps prevent sideways sliding and skidding. ESC adjusts brake pressure and engine control.

AdvanceTrac Sport Mode allows you to have a setting that allows more rear-end sliding before it kicks in. It's more lenient than regular AdvanceTrac.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
Shann (01-18-2021), TerryH22 (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 02:58 PM
Wait, I can change this?

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

So I don't truly know but I did take full advantage of the first good/bad snow with my truck and I played around with my traction control because I too wanted to know what all the settings did and here's what I figured out in my '15 4wd XL with 17 OEM tires. You'll have to forgive my guesses at speeds,I had my eyes on the road not my dash

Traction control on: Obviously its on and kept my tires from spinning and worked to mitigate/keep me out of a slide

1 button press: It let my tires spin until I got around 35-40 mph then it kicked in and stopped the free spinning of my tires, but under the mentioned speed it would let me spin but the advance track was still on so when I threw the truck into a slide it would work to pull me out of it.

Long press(low speed):Again it let my tires spin like the first one but instead of kicking in right away when I went into a slide it seemed like it let the slide go until I was about 45 degrees off of being straight in the road then it kicked in to pull me out of it. with the tires doing the same as the 1 press

Long press (high speed):pretty much Identical to low speed but I was reading 55ish on my dash and had the truck 75ish degrees before it kicked in.

Sport mode(double click) and sport mode on the column: This is the one where I Had fun! I was able to do pretty much what ever I wanted short of a cookie. I don't know what point the traction control kicked in I know I was cooking but I was too worried about a light pole But I know the slide control kicked in about halfway through a spin so I'd guess around 180 degrees Like it thought I had totally lost control and kicked in to help me get back in control on the last half of the spin.

4 Low: I had it in 4 low and did a long press to turn it off as much as I could because I had it buried. From what I could tell it shut it down almost totally to let me get it rocked out of where I was stuck.

The Times I had It in 4 High it seemed to have no real change over what it was doing just that now it had the front axle working in tandem with my back axle to accomplish the same goal

Oh yea and All stunts were performed under the supervision of a empty Walmart parking lot

Like I said I don't know for a fact on any of this, this is just what I experienced during play time today

Last edited by mouthymedic; 02-02-2016 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Faulty memory
The following 4 users liked this post by mouthymedic:
Bu3askoor (09-08-2021), Lesscrewmobox (12-10-2023), rightway (03-11-2022), Shann (01-18-2021)
Old 02-02-2016, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Texrep
I would like to know also.. I've played with this while driving and really see no difference ( dry road ) . maybe I'm not meeting the conditions it was meant for I dunno...
I've played around with it some also, with AdvanceTrac Sport Mode on, taking a left out of a parking lot, gunned it as I was turning and the tires broke loose and the rear end started to slide around some.

So going off of what Ricktwuhk says, If I had done that while showing Advance Trac off, I might have spun all the way around, being that both Traction Control and Stability Control would have been off...

Sound right Rick?
Old 02-02-2016, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by mouthymedic

4 Low: I had it in 4 low and did a long press to turn it off as much as I could because I had it buried. From what I could tell it shut it down almost totally to let me get it rocked out of where I was stuck.

The Times I had It in 4 High it seemed to have no real change over what it was doing just that now it had the front axle working in tandem with my back axle to accomplish the same goal

Oh yea and All stunts were performed under the supervision of a empty Walmart parking lot

Like I said I don't know for a fact on any of this, this is just what I experienced during play time today
According to the OM page above, 4 Low should have disengaged everything.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:13 PM
Wait, I can change this?

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Possible, I didn't know that till I saw the post. I had turned it all off then clicked into 4 low. BTW if anyone is wondering it's a PITA to get snow out of the new grills
Old 02-03-2016, 03:31 AM

Received 93 Likes on 66 Posts

Good thread OP, in for more info.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by V8-Coyote
Good thread OP, in for more info.
Thanks.

I think Ricktwuhk pretty much summed up what I wasn't sure of. But if anybody out there wants to add more to it...

Quick Reply: Traction Control off vs AdvanceTrac off vs AdvanceTrac Sport Mode?