Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toolbox/chest under tonneau: will I hate myself if tonneau can't open from the front?

Old 03-23-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Toolbox/chest under tonneau: will I hate myself if tonneau can't open from the front?

I want a toolbox/chest that sits below the rails. I just think it looks better than a crossover, regular or low profile, on a non-work truck.

I also want a tonneau. While there are many tonneau options, the field gets much smaller when you add the requirement of front opening (ex: Truxedo Deuce and Extrang Encore).

For those with toolboxes underneath a tonneau, did you get a tonneau that opens from the front also? If yes, was it worth it? If no, do you wish you had or not a big deal?

NOT interested in those swing out toolboxes that mount near the tailgate.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:39 PM

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by OopsUpsideYerHead
I want a toolbox/chest that sits below the rails. I just think it looks better than a crossover, regular or low profile, on a non-work truck.

I also want a tonneau. While there are many tonneau options, the field gets much smaller when you add the requirement of front opening (ex: Truxedo Deuce and Extrang Encore).

For those with toolboxes underneath a tonneau, did you get a tonneau that opens from the front also? If yes, was it worth it? If no, do you wish you had or not a big deal?

It will be difficult to reach anything inside. At least with a crossover you can stand in the bed. I have the 32" Job box and it's height is just under the tonneau. I go back and forth between my trifold tonneau and my toolbox. I keep it at the tailgate end. I can't seem to make up my mind.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OopsUpsideYerHead

The Fold-a-Cover has a hard cover and caddy combination that opens from the front for access. As southchatham noted, access can be difficult especially on a 4x4. I have this combo and I carry a folding step stool to reach the bottom of the box. I like the setup and haven't had any regrets. The Fold-a-Cover can be seen at this link.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

you could get a bed step for the front of the box. I think it bolts to the frame in front of the rear wheel. That might make your wish more user friendly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toolbox/chest under tonneau: will I hate myself if tonneau can't open from the front?