Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tonneau Soft Roll-Up Cover - Help me decide!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tonneau Soft Roll-Up Cover - Truxedo vs. Access (Lo Pro versions)

Alright I've narrowed it down to these 2 covers. I thought I was set on the Truxedo Lo Pro, but a good friend said that he's had both and his current Access Original is much better. Please let me know your thoughts and experience with the best to go with:

1. Truxedo Lo Pro - I like being able to remove entire cover, attachment clips look better, but worry that it doesn't seal as well especially at the tailgate.
2. Access "Lorado" - It appears to seal better at cab and has sloping closure at tailgate and appears to open and close better at tailgate, but clips don't look like they're as good.

5'6" bed

I have read in a few places that the Lo Pro has issues with opening and closing the tailgate without releasing the cover. Thanks for the input!

Last edited by jmitchell; 06-15-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

They are pretty much the same. I think they are even made by the same company in Fargo ND.

My recomendation is to get a lo profile no matter which brand you get. They look cleaner and I don't think there is as much tension on them so less chance of them stretching out. I had the access lo pro on my last truck for 5 years and it still looked and worked like new when I traded it. This one has the Access original and I don't like that it sticks up above the bed. Probably going to go with a hard retractable eventually.
The following users liked this post:
jmitchell (06-14-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response. Did you have any issues with the clamps coming loose or falling off? Also, on the Access Lo Pro can you easily remove the entire cover?

For any Truxedo Lo Pro out there, do you have to open the cover slightly just to shut the tailgate?
Old 06-15-2017, 07:47 AM

Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the lo pro and as far as opening and closing, i haven't had any issues. Now in regards to the sealing by the tailgate, if you want the best, then you would want to close the tailgate first then close the cover to the rear flap lays "on-top" of the gate. The only times i had water come in was when i take it through a automatic wash and the pressure literally is directly on top of the tailgate.

take it for whats it's worth, but i absolutely love mine and have no regrets.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

I have the low pro. I shut the tailgate with the cover down. When i wash my truck i will get a few drops of water near the inside tail gate. Not a problem for me. I have been on vacation with the bed loaded with luggage and gone through hard downpours with no wet luggage.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I purchased the Lund Genesis Elite. It has a simple rail system that is installed into existing holes, it locks down at the back and is fairly waterproof, slight dampness when going through car wash. It has Velcro down the side to keep it secure.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

I did not have any issues with the access cover coming loose. I don't know that I would call it easy to remove the whole thing. I suppose you could get it off in 5 minutes. It's just clamps. But getting it squared up on my old dodge wasn't easy as the front part of the box wasn't perfectly straight.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by motorhead2013
I have the low pro. I shut the tailgate with the cover down. When i wash my truck i will get a few drops of water near the inside tail gate. Not a problem for me. I have been on vacation with the bed loaded with luggage and gone through hard downpours with no wet luggage.
Don't know if it's the low pro, but I have the Ford branded truxedo soft tonneau (platinum I think), and have had a similar experience. Great cover and very little issue with water leakage. Easy to open/close the tailgate with it latched. I use it as a trunk half the time... Currently have my golf push cart chilling back there.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just got a truxedo soft cover installed the other day. 299 out the door installed. I love it. pretty much keeps all water out and you can roll it up when not in use with no overlapping with the bed of the truck.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I had the LoMax installed. I'm really happy with it, and discovered that with the way that it's hinged, when I put some equipment in the back that is "just" a bit too tall, the cover's hinges actually accommodate this. Only a few drops from the last rain, and that might be because I had taken it off and may not have put it back on squarely. It seals tightly.

Last edited by v8_STX; 06-15-2017 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added photo