Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Tonneau Cover - Water resistance?

Old 04-04-2016, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Tonneau Cover - Water resistance?

Just starting researching tonneau covers and realize this topic may be beat to death a bit. But its hard to find any posts/threads that answer all my questions, concerns. So I'll go by my use case..

2016 F150 S/CREW, 5.5ft bed.

- Will likely install a bedrug. This is a "soccer dad" / grocery getter truck.
- May haul mulch/gravel occasionally.
- Mostly will use the fully open bed for hauling bicycles.
- Live in a snowy area, where spring is snow, melt, rain, snow, melt, rain, repeat. So water resistance is a concern.
- Ideally, for WAF (wife acceptance factor) you can open and close the tailgate without opening the end of the cover. Being lite would be nice, again for WAF.

So far I'm considering:
- Extang Solidfold
- Bakflip VP (even with having to open it to close the tailgate), but is lite.
- Pace Edwards Switch Blade
- Bakflip Revolver.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:15 AM

Received 368 Likes on 157 Posts

The revolver is not terribly water resistant. I have one and after a year of ownership I can say I wouldnt buy it again.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:53 AM

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like you're mostly considering a hard tonneau, but I've been pretty impressed with the Weathertech/Access (Weathertech rebrands the Access) soft tonneau in terms of ease of use and water resistance. It is probably one of the more expensive soft tonneaus out there, but it is easy to open and close, you don't have to open to access the tailgate, and even in heavy rains and snow, I haven't had any water intrusion issues. Might be concerns with how much snow you might accumulate on the cover though in terms of how much weight it can handle.
The following users liked this post:
MikeF150S (01-14-2017)
Old 04-04-2016, 06:12 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

My new Tri fold soft Tonneau don’t leak a drop ! but, it has not had snow on it either, that’s where a hard cover would work better IMO.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:20 AM

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

Tonnofold $235 shipped

The following users liked this post:
Mikemeek (03-28-2019)
Old 04-04-2016, 07:11 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I had an extang solid fold and it always leaked up by the bed. Extang replaced the cover and I tried every bit of foam combination available. I just bought a 2016 and had ford put on the OEM solid trifold which is essentially a Bakflip cover with extra drains. I have only had it for a week but I have had 2 soaking rains and my bed is bone dry, knock on wood. I think diverting the water like these covers do is the ticket. You will get easier full bed access with the bakflip too.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the BAK F1. Yes you have to lift the rear panel in order to open/close the tailgate, but it's light, super light. I've had three of them on my various trucks. Durable in the snow, if it leaks, you might get a quarter size amount at the most. I'm a big fan and friends have ordered based on my results and love theirs. Worth looking into. Check forum vendors for significant amount off msrp. Good luck, oh and believe me, I get the WAF!
Old 04-04-2016, 08:06 AM

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

I just put a Truxedo Lo Pro QT on my truck and it said out in some real downpours over the weekend...only spot it had a little bit of water was a small puddle (probably around an inch across, just looked like a few big drops) right at the tailgate on each side and I think this might have been slowed down further by a tailgate seal.

Love it so far.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 145 Likes on 132 Posts

I have a TruXedo TruXport. Doesn't leak a drop in, can roll up by myself and looks pretty good. The only water I get in the bed is from the gap between the tailgate and bottom of the bed - including when I go through a high pressure car wash.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been looking for a cover also for my 2016 KR with 6.6 bed. I'm leaning towards the Fold A Cover G4 Elite. I like I can open both ends. Several videos on youtube comparing the G4 to the BakF1. I don't like the Bak F1 water management system dumps the water into the bed. I like water prevention instead of water management. I'm still looking. Lots out there. I'd like to find one not in black.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which Tonneau Cover - Water resistance?