Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tonnaue Cover drain

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tonnaue Cover drain

I have a 2016 Lariat 6.5 bed with drop in bedliner. Looking to add Hard cover folding tonnaue. I like the look of the flush mount covers, most of which have rails and DRAINS. My question is about the drain. Some instructions for these suggest running the drain through the grommet located in the front of the bed BODY. With my drop in bedliner, there is no access for this particular grommet. It would seem easy enough to place the drain through one of the bedliner grommets, effectively draining between the liner and bed body. I know this space is not completely dry and will drain through gaps in the body, but I'm not sure I'm a big fan of regularly dumping rainwater in this space. Your thoughts? Is this nothing to worry about?

Option B is to cut a hole in the bedliner in the region of the body grommet, but not sure I like this option.

Option C is to get Tonnaue that sits on top of the bed of the truck, like Extang Solid Fold 2.0
Old 10-29-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd go with C
Old 10-29-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 426 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Maine-iac
I'd go with C
Why have a toneau cover that lets water get into the bedliner to start? I had a BAK Roll up and eventually hated the thing because of water getting in and also freezing shut in the winter. Could never keep anything in the bed really 100% dry. Leaves etc were always clogging the bedliner drains which was another PITA to deal with!

The best solution to keeping water out of your bedliner is a cover that goes over the bed rails IMO. No it doesn't look as good as the other design but long term it's superior in keeping things dry under it. BTW even the fold up covers can have issues over time with leaking.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by cthusker
Why have a toneau cover that lets water get into the bedliner to start? I had a BAK Roll up and eventually hated the thing because of water getting in and also freezing shut in the winter. Could never keep anything in the bed really 100% dry. Leaves etc were always clogging the bedliner drains which was another PITA to deal with!

The best solution to keeping water out of your bedliner is a cover that goes over the bed rails IMO. No it doesn't look as good as the other design but long term it's superior in keeping things dry under it. BTW even the fold up covers can have issues over time with leaking.

I agree I have the Extang full tilt also and it works great.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:15 AM

I tucked my drain tubes through the precut holes for front tie downs; the little water that gets to the channels drops under the bedliner and out the back at the tailgate. My bed has always stayed dry.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dnorf150
I tucked my drain tubes through the precut holes for front tie downs; the little water that gets to the channels drops under the bedliner and out the back at the tailgate. My bed has always stayed dry.
Same here.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Used a holesaw to drill a hole lining up with hole in the top corner of the bed. Then just insert the smooth part of the tube into the hole. Cut just enought length for a tight fit.

Old 10-29-2017, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the responses.

CT: need cover for security to lock things in, but removable to haul larger loads. I don't expect it to be 100% waterproof, but I'm hoping it's mainly dry. With the bedliner and the ridges it has, should keep the contents high enough to remain dry with what little moisture gets in. The bedliner acts like a tub in the rain, pooling water up near the cab. I'm not going to get that much moisture in there with a hard top foldable, will I? The extant I referenced looks like it sits on rails of truck like yours, probably similar seal there.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:28 PM

Default Backflip owner

i have a backflip tonneau cover and love it. Had one on my 05 for eight years with no trouble. You can fill the drain holes with silicone sealer and the rain water will drain out the back near the tail gate. Never had any pooling in my drop in bed liner
Old 10-29-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Never hooked up the drain hoses on my Bakflip, very little if any water gets in bed.