Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the new 3.0 Ford Diesel...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 12:36 AM

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

Default Thoughts on the new 3.0 Ford Diesel...

Do you think it will be offered on all trims levels? If not, which ones?

Do you think it will be offered in the 6500 GVWR currently offered with the 2.7 Ecoboost? Or with the standard 7000 GVWR package?

If offered with the 6500 GVWR package, will their be a payload package offered?

Or will there be a special GVWR package due to the weight of the engine?

Will the 3.0 Diesel be offered with the Heavy Duty Payload Package?

What is your hope?

Mine: It will be offered with the 502A and above trims WITH the Heavy Duty Payload Package.

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:12 AM

Received 368 Likes on 157 Posts

1.) It will not be offered on all trims-definitely not raptor, likely not limited, and crapshoot whether you can get it on an XL. Likely will be offered on XLT-Plat.

2.) No way in hell it is offered on the 6500 GVWR package-diesels are HEAVY compared to gas motors, it will need all the GVWR it can get-possibly the "special" GVWR you mention.

3.) Not sure if it would be offered with the HD payload package. Dont see why it wouldnt be a possibility.

4.) Dont hold your breath for a 502A with HD payload-diesel or not. Ford has shown no desire to build that truck. Sucks, because I would buy one.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:22 AM
J15
Certified Cow Porker

Received 360 Likes on 246 Posts

I had an F-150 with the 5.0 and now own an F-250 with the 6.7. I seriously doubt the 3.0L diesel will be worth the expense. You're probably going to be under 300HP/500TQ. That's going to be a horrifically slow truck on the highway and feel sluggish in most normal driving conditions. There's no point in bothering with it when you can get the 3.5L EB that puts out about the same torque and way more HP for a lot less money. If you need more torque than the EB can put out, skip the half ton segment and get yourself a 6.7. If that's not in the budget new, buy a year old truck with low miles for $20k off sticker.

Diesels are expensive to own and maintain. Anyone that tells you differently is lying or hasn't had enough time as an owner to know the truth. Oil changes are well over $100 even if you do it yourself. You'll need to do a $60 fuel filter change every other oil change. The DPF will cripple your fuel economy when it kicks in, cutting your MPG average in half for as long as 30-60 minutes at a time. You'll need to replenish your DEF on a regular basis, effectively inflating your cost per gallon of fuel. Unless you do a full delete, the EGR will be poisoning your engine with soot and increasing the odds of costly repairs further down the road. While properly configured diesel trucks can be a pure joy to drive, it's really not worth it getting the small displacement diesels. You have all the expense and inconvenience without the performance. Buy the EB instead.
The following 3 users liked this post by J15:
330smg (08-04-2017), Aj06bolt12r (08-02-2017), Ohsix (08-05-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 2,547 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Originally Posted by J15
I had an F-150 with the 5.0 and now own an F-250 with the 6.7. I seriously doubt the 3.0L diesel will be worth the expense. You're probably going to be under 300HP/500TQ. That's going to be a horrifically slow truck on the highway and feel sluggish in most normal driving conditions. There's no point in bothering with it when you can get the 3.5L EB that puts out about the same torque and way more HP for a lot less money. If you need more torque than the EB can put out, skip the half ton segment and get yourself a 6.7. If that's not in the budget new, buy a year old truck with low miles for $20k off sticker.

Diesels are expensive to own and maintain. Anyone that tells you differently is lying or hasn't had enough time as an owner to know the truth. Oil changes are well over $100 even if you do it yourself. You'll need to do a $60 fuel filter change every other oil change. The DPF will cripple your fuel economy when it kicks in, cutting your MPG average in half for as long as 30-60 minutes at a time. You'll need to replenish your DEF on a regular basis, effectively inflating your cost per gallon of fuel. Unless you do a full delete, the EGR will be poisoning your engine with soot and increasing the odds of costly repairs further down the road. While properly configured diesel trucks can be a pure joy to drive, it's really not worth it getting the small displacement diesels. You have all the expense and inconvenience without the performance. Buy the EB instead.
Man this is a good post.

It's one of those hard truths that even I have struggled with. One of the only vehicles that would have taken me away from Ford for daily driving was the TDI VWs. A friend of mine was obsessed with his, and I drove one once and it did drive pretty nice.

But then you find out most of that was from cheating, and it's a very light car which even when not cheating, still makes it decent to drive.

So when Dodge came out with the EcoDiesel, I was intrigued and gave one an extended test drive. Man, what a garbage driving vehicle. This was coming off driving a 3.5L Ecoboost 2012 F-150, and our 2014 3.5L Ecoboost Flex.

It was gutless in most situations, slow to respond even in the best of situations, and just no fun at all to drive. Fuel mileage on the test run was good, no doubt, but at the time at least diesel prices were about 20 cents/gallon higher than regular unleaded so between that and the few thousand dollar markup for the diesel option, it was DOA right there.

Then I started reading the Dodge forums and saw people having issues with the EcoDiesel (I forget what it was, something with oil sludge I think...?) and the maintenance costs starts to show up for those with 50,000+ mile diesels, and it just destroyed my enthusiasm for diesels in light duty trucks.

Maybe Ford will have the secret recipe, but most of what you noted is nearly impossible to get around.

It's too bad, my favorite truck of all I have driven is still my dads 1999 (I believe) F-250 Turbo Diesel. That thing sounded badass taking off from a light when we were towing his racing trailer, and also while towing that 28' enclosed from a light barely seemed to take notice to all the weight it had to move.

I got no such feeling from the Dodge diesel, and while Ford isn't Dodge, there's still only so much you can do.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Vroom vroom

Received 415 Likes on 144 Posts

If they do make the 3.0 it will be DOA.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

300/500 in a truck less than 5000 #will feel pretty darn sporty actually. Initially the diesel is supposed to. Only be an option on high end trim trucks. It's going to be pretty limited in the 2018 models.

I agree with the 3.5 motor it already will easily tow a lot more than the truck is rated for. Mine just man handles my 5000 # cargo trailer in the power department. It actually now reminds me of my 2011 6.7 psd at slow speeds. here is a shocker my new truck is a 2017 3.5 but my old 2014 with the older eco could pull the same trailer over a major grade in our area faster at the top than even the 6.7 psd. I haven't checked yet but this new 3.5 should do even better. I am not really interested in the diesel anymore
Old 08-02-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 404 Likes on 256 Posts

I just had my 2012 VW Golf TDI bought back by Volkswagen due to the diesel scandal. I liked the diesel overall and the mileage was insanely good. But the DPF was a pain when it kicked in. Strong smell of diesel and the engine would run rough. There was no rhyme or reason as to when it would kick in. If it happened to be doing its thing when we got home, the fans would ramp up to full and the smell of diesel fumes was quite strong.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

The engine will be sourced from Jaguar. They are using it in one of their SUVs right now. I wanted an EcoDiesel Ram but none would get to the price i wanted so that's how i ended up with my Ford. More than Likely it will have more towing ability than the 2.7 EB and probably on par with the 3.5 EB. Its a diesel so it will not be a tire burner.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 1,218 Likes on 623 Posts

I think the 3.0 diesel will definitely come in some trims and configurations and definitely not in others. It may or may not have higher or lower GCVW rating and may or may not have a higher payload package.

What is will have is $4-5000 higher price, anemic acceleration, MPG only slightly better than the 2.7, and the same EGR/DPF/DEF stuff that has proven to be problematic on every other vehicle. There is no reason to get the diesel, unless you're the guy that just has to have one, because of some nostalgic memory of what diesels used to be.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 167 Likes on 93 Posts

Gas would have to be a LOT more expensive than it is to make dealing with diesel maintenance and emissions worth the headache. OTR trucks, yes. A personal vehicle that's parked most of the time, not a chance.