Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those whose seats cause pain

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Default For those whose seats cause pain

Ford redesigned the seats to be more sporty with side bolsters that are stiff and some on here I have read have the same issue I do, where the bolster presses against a nerve in the thigh and causes pain.

This, besides the crappy brittle paint, is my dislike of the 15+ trucks(well the door design is just stupid too, lost the use of the bottle holder under the speaker), and found a solution.

A recycler near me had a 2012 FX4 with a heated/cooled seat for $400, so I took a chance and bought it. I did some research before hand on what a cushion, duct, and cover would cost, and it was more than $400 with taxes and shipping, so it was cheaper to just buy the seat and pick it up.

The cushion comes of real easy, no hog rings to snip, just a few plastic clips to pry off the metal pan and in 30 minutes had the cushion and cover in my hand.

Just for fun I put it on the seat in the truck, and man was it cushy! My knees were in the steering wheel though.

So today I took out the four bolts, and those are some long bolts, at least 2 1/2" long, undid the two harness connections and took the seat to my work shop. An hour later I had the 2012 cushion on the 2016 seat. Only thing I had to modify was to open up the slot where the cooling/heating fan blows air into the seat, it almost fit perfectly, but was 1/4" shy of being centered. I chamfered it a bit and got the front clip on, which worked fine, the back clips I had to use my Dremel on to slit it as the new seats have 2 clips, and the old one is a single full clip. That surprised me as I though it would be too long, but it actually fit well. The sides though are a different story, neither side fit, but I found that zip ties slip in the channel of the clips and was able to zip tie both sides together under the seat. The seat belt buckle side is completely different between seats, thankfully the locations are exact. Since it is against the console, I am not worrying about it. Instead of the cover going behind the plastic cover, I just wrapped it around it and it has a velcro attachment and I slipped behind the back cover and attached it there. It covers the plastic cover.

It took about 10 minutes to reattach the harness and bolt the seat back in, got in, readjusted the position of the seat, saved it, and tested the cooling. It works, I can feel cool air coming through the bottom cushion, so .

The only drawback is, it looks a little out of place since it has some wear, and is a different design than the passenger seat, but since my butt doesn't have eyes, I really don't care. The left front corner has some exposed foam, and one of the cutouts for the seat controls is peaking out from the top of the side panel.

Going to attach the 16 seat bottom to the 12 seat, and mount that bugger on my Kubota tractor. Heated and cooled seat on a tractor will be nice.
Attached Thumbnails For those whose seats cause pain-img_4232-1-.jpg   For those whose seats cause pain-img_4230-1-.jpg   For those whose seats cause pain-img_4231-1-.jpg   For those whose seats cause pain-img_4233-1-.jpg   For those whose seats cause pain-img_4234-1-.jpg  

Last edited by acdii; 07-21-2017 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Forget the darned pics.
The following users liked this post:
GreenandGold831 (07-23-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad you found a solution to your seat problem.

Funny thing is I went from a 14 Ram to a 15 f150. My wife and I both think these truck
seats are much more comforable than the Ram. I think the first thing she said was this
truck is a lot prettier and the seats are so much better -)

Anyway its good it all worked out for you.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job. I was running into the same problem and remember how comfortable my 2013 F150 driver seat was. I was thinking of buying a 2013 seat and having someone build a custom bracket to install it. Do you have any idea if that would be possible?
Old 07-23-2017, 10:48 AM

Received 219 Likes on 142 Posts

Good job, I’m glad you were able to find a solution that others can also benefit from. There is nothing worse than buying a vehicle and then finding out it causes back pain. Most times you don’t notice it until you are on a long road trip and that can’t be felt on a test drive.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Just got back from a 2 1/2 hour non stop trip from the Dells towing my TT and not a single issue with the seat. It was the most comfortable I have ever been in this truck, just like when I had the 14. so $400 well spent.

As far as putting an older year in the newer year, the wiring I believe is different. I do know that they moved the memory buttons to the door, where the older ones had them in the seat, so unsure if they changed the actual harness, pinouts for airbag or what.

What I plan to do is get a custom cover made, one that fits the 09-14 cushion but has the attachments for the 16 seat and covers completely all around. A nice Katzkin will work.

If you just wanted the heated seat, you can get the cushion here https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...8632a23-p.html

The Heated/Cooled seats use an element and blower assembly so there are ducts in the cushions, and have a different shape, so all the parts are needed.