Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying my first F150 and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thinking about buying my first F150 and a few questions

I'm currently driving a 97 Chevy Astro with 190,000 miles and it's about time to purchase a new vehicle. Looking at the F150 , Chevy Colorado and Toyota Sienna SE. I've not test driven the F150, but have the others. One concern is the size of the F150 which is the largest of the 3 that I'm looking at.

If I decide on the F150 it would be the SuperCab XLT 2wd with 6 1/2' box in either Blue Flame or Tuxedo Black. Not sure if I would do the chrome package or sport package. I like the black interior that is std in the sport pkg better then the gray interior which is standard with the chrome pkg. Not sure with the 2.7 engine which is required with the sport pkg and has the Auto Start-Stop feature.

A few questions:
Has anyone gone from a smaller vehicle to the F150 and if you have, how hard was it getting use to the larger size?

Is the factory bed liner better then an after market one?

Would you do the chrome or sport pkg?

Blue Flame or Tuxedo Black?

Any must have options?

Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2015, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

i went from a ranger to an ext cab F150 and from that to a supercrew F150..there is a small learning curve but youll get it
Old 02-14-2015, 02:35 PM

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

I came from an Explorer to an '04 F150 and I do remember an adjustment to the larger vehicle, however that passed in a matter of days as I got used to it. It may have helped that I drove a beer delivery straight truck for work at the time too.

I don't have my '15 yet, but from what I've seen on this forum they do a nice job with the factory liners. More options at an aftermarket shop (colors etc).

Color and chrome vs sport are very personal choices. Personally I like black sport trucks, but the blue flame would be a top contender. I'm not a big fan of chrome, however it can look good on silver/white trucks.

Many options are only available on Lariat + however I'll mention LED headlights, 360 camera, side mirror spotlights, LED box lights, and the list goes on...
Old 02-14-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jjb61
I'm currently driving a 97 Chevy Astro with 190,000 miles and it's about time to purchase a new vehicle. Looking at the F150 , Chevy Colorado and Toyota Sienna SE. I've not test driven the F150, but have the others. One concern is the size of the F150 which is the largest of the 3 that I'm looking at.

If I decide on the F150 it would be the SuperCab XLT 2wd with 6 1/2' box in either Blue Flame or Tuxedo Black. Not sure if I would do the chrome package or sport package. I like the black interior that is std in the sport pkg better then the gray interior which is standard with the chrome pkg. Not sure with the 2.7 engine which is required with the sport pkg and has the Auto Start-Stop feature.

A few questions:
Has anyone gone from a smaller vehicle to the F150 and if you have, how hard was it getting use to the larger size?

Any must have options?

Thanks
Honestly, most of your questions are things you're going to have to answer. Your "must haves" may differ from someone else's "must haves."

I'd go on the Ford.com build site and look at every option they offer and see if you think you'd actually need/use it.

Same with color/package. You're probably going to get a 50/50 split on which color to get/package to get. Go with your gut. You're spending $50,000 of YOUR money so you should get what YOU think you should get rather than what someone else would want on their $50,000 truck.

Originally Posted by Kenn213
Many options are only available on Lariat + however I'll mention LED headlights, 360 camera, side mirror spotlights, LED box lights, and the list goes on...
You can get the side mirror spotlights on the XLT and the LED box lights come standard on XLT and above.

Last edited by DC4MVP; 02-14-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:07 PM

djfllmn and Kenn213, thanks for the comments on coming from a smaller vehicle to the F150.

DC4MVP, I've been to the Ford build site and looked at the options that were available. It took me a while to figure out why the sport pkg was'nt showing up until I read in the F150 brochure that it wasn't available with the std 3.5 engine. There are a lot of options available that I would probably not get since adding options quickly drive the price up and probably not use.

I think the best way to decide on color and sport vs chrome pkg is seeing them side by side. There's things that I like with both of them.

Thanks again for the feedback. It's appreciated.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:42 PM

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

I think the best way to decide on color and sport vs chrome pkg is seeing them side by side. There's things that I like with both of them.

Thanks again for the feedback. It's appreciated.
I ALMOST went with Magnetic on my 2015 because I thought it looked great on the Ford.com site. Saw it in person when I picked up my Blue Jeans 2015 and was extremely unimpressed with Magnetic. Also, some colors look better with the chrome, some look better with the sport.

Since dealers are getting healthy stocks with different colors, head over and check out the colors/packages in person even if they're on 2014's (Blue Flame and black are obviously both 2014 colors) before you order.

Also check out the picture threads to get a real look instead of some computer rendering from your couch.

Most importantly, get what YOU think is best! Happy shopping!

Last edited by DC4MVP; 02-14-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Honestly, you can get an xlt sport so you have the black interior. Nice options to have are power seats and adjustable pedals. The rest is just luxury, but I like that so I went with a fully loaded lariat with mooroof.
From what I have that I really like is the memory seats and keyless everything. Love walking up to the truck, not look for my keys and the seat and steering wheel adjust to my setting. Also another thing I like is the auto start feature, but you can always get that aftermarket.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you have already made the most important decision in going with an F150.
Before you buy, spent a lot of time reading this Forum. You will learn a lot. Everything from what we all really find useful, to how to make a good deal on your purchase. Even tips on how to shop for insurance.
We are all here to help each other, and in the end, all the decisions are yours. At least you will then be a well informed buyer.
Good luck.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:22 AM

newts53, thanks for you advise regarding reading the forum. I usually spend to much time researching things, but usually learn a lot.

The one thing that I noticed on the Form website was the warranty on the paint on the aluminum. It states:Warranty - Paint Adhesion, 5 years , Unlimited miles . I've never seen a warranty that mentioned paint adhesion before.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:29 AM

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

A few questions:

Any must have options?

Thanks
My first pickup was a Ranger 4x4 Supercab that I owned for 14 years and 240,000 miles - I can't say I *loved* that truck but tolerated it. Next was an F150 Supercrew 4x4 that I've had 11 years and 107,000 miles so far - and a far superior experience. At first I felt like I was driving around in an 18-wheeler - mostly from feeling like I was 20 feet up in the air and that I was going to turn over when turning. That went away quickly. It didn't take long before I made the resolution that I'd *NEVER* own another small truck unless I had no other choice. There's not a huge difference in pricing between large and small unless you go with a top model like the Lariat, King Ranch or Platinum. There's also not a huge fuel mileage difference. The advantage [for me] with the larger truck is towing power, hauling capacity and the number of passengers.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying my first F150 and a few questions