Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about buying a 2015 as my first truck, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 03:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a 2015 as my first truck, some questions

Hey all,

I figured asking the F-150 community would be my best starting point, since you guys are intimately familiar with the truck. I looked for some guides in the stickies but didn't see one, so I thought I'd ask and see what you guys thought.

This would be my first truck, after coming from Japanese cars, namely a Lexus IS. I have no problem with those cars, but I need something bigger since we're starting a family. Also, since I have hobbies like home improvement and woodworking, having a truck bed (even if it's once every month or two at the most) would come in great handy. So just to set expectation, I don't need the truck because of a daily need or because I need a workhorse, but rather just to have it when I need it, and a more spacious interior for seating adults/kids/car seats.

Therefore my biggest constraint is that I have the full sized cab with the full back seats. I think that's the SuperCrew F-150?

Beyond that, I'm curious about the following:
1) Obviously it's not a luxury car, but in the truck segment how is the ride quality?
2) How is the technology? Sync system? Speakers? The Toyota one is functional but pretty dated and kinda crappy UI-wise.
3) I don't have anything big to tow, would the V6 suit my needs? Or is the V8 generally recommended for various reasons (durability, more power for highway speeds, etc)?
4) I don't go offroading, and I live in TX with no real inclement weather. Is 4WD necessary? Or a wasted cost?

Anything else I should know when looking for a used truck? Features to look for, or features to avoid? Are there any known problems with this generation truck that I should check for, like something with the drivetrain, electronics, etc.? For example I see a thread about the cooled seats, which is something I was heavily going to consider living in a hotter climate. Should I avoid cooled seats?

I really appreciate you guys helping me out. I looked at some buying guides online but I can't help but feel that a lot of them are sponsored a bit, as each site seems to highly praise a different car manufacturer. I know you guys will likely be F-150 biased, which is fine since I'm leaning that way anyway - but figure you guys can also point out some critiques or problems with the truck in case it happens to be a deal breaker for me.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, supercrew is the full size, full 4 door truck. LOADS of room!!

1. Amazing. Honestly, it's the best driving vehicle I've ever owned. Although to be fair, I've never owned a Lexus.
2. This is where I'd recommend a 2016 or newer. It has the newest Sync 3 system. So much better than the Sync 2 system. Sync 3 supports Apple Car Play and Android Auto. And is just a better overall infotainment unit all together.
3.V6 will be perfectly fine. Although, the ecoboost V6s are lots more fun than the NA V6. Either of the smaller V6s will probably be just fine for you. I have a 2.7 ecoboost and love it. Great mileage as well! Hopefully I didn't start and engine war with that comment...
4. Don't waste your money on it if you'll never need it. I have it because I live in an area with lots of snow, so it's useful and used often. I wouldn't pay for it if I lived down in Texas.

Looking forward to pictures when you make your purchase.
The following users liked this post:
DrHorrible (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rheimy
Welcome to the forums!

Yes, supercrew is the full size, full 4 door truck. LOADS of room!!

1. Amazing. Honestly, it's the best driving vehicle I've ever owned. Although to be fair, I've never owned a Lexus.
2. This is where I'd recommend a 2016 or newer. It has the newest Sync 3 system. So much better than the Sync 2 system. Sync 3 supports Apple Car Play and Android Auto. And is just a better overall infotainment unit all together.
3.V6 will be perfectly fine. Although, the ecoboost V6s are lots more fun than the NA V6. Either of the smaller V6s will probably be just fine for you. I have a 2.7 ecoboost and love it. Great mileage as well! Hopefully I didn't start and engine war with that comment...
4. Don't waste your money on it if you'll never need it. I have it because I live in an area with lots of snow, so it's useful and used often. I wouldn't pay for it if I lived down in Texas.

Looking forward to pictures when you make your purchase.
Awesome, that's good to know about Sync 3. Hopefully the 2016's aren't that much more expensive than the 2015s...
Old 11-13-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 373 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by DrHorrible
1) Obviously it's not a luxury car, but in the truck segment how is the ride quality?
Being honest, the ride is pretty bumpy, at least on my 4x4. The rear end is kind-of bouncy and wonky sometimes, even (or especially) in slow maneuvers, like parking or slow residential streets. I've heard that you can replace the shocks with Bilsteins and eliminate most of that. I will wear my stock ones out first, though.

2) How is the technology? Sync system? Speakers? The Toyota one is functional but pretty dated and kinda crappy UI-wise.
The 2015 has SYNC2, which is the last Microsoft version of it. The 2016-18 are better, having the SYNC3, which is not Microsoft-driven. That said, people seem reasonably happy on these forums with the SYNC2. You won't win any awards with the audio system, but it is satisfactory for most people I'd guess.

3) I don't have anything big to tow, would the V6 suit my needs? Or is the V8 generally recommended for various reasons (durability, more power for highway speeds, etc)?
Which V6? Either of the turbo V6's or the V8 are going to be fine for any kind of normal driving and hauling. You'll want either the V8 or the 3.5L EcoBoost (turbo) V6 if you plan to tow much.

4) I don't go offroading, and I live in TX with no real inclement weather. Is 4WD necessary? Or a wasted cost?
I'm in Texas and I chose 4x4, but for most people, as you said, unnecessary. it adds to the price, reduces gas mileage, and makes it ride rougher.

Best of luck on your hunt! You might want to also cross-shop new "leftover" 2017's on the lot. Used truck values are so high that a 2015 used isn't much less than a 2017 new (after negotiation).
DrHorrible (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Supercrew is the full size cab with the most room.

Ride quality-it's a truck and will ride a bit harsher than a Lexus. If you avoid getting LT tires you can maintain a fairly soft ride. If you upgrade the shocks, you may find the truck rides stiffer, good for handling and traction, sacrificing some comfort.

Sync-3 is really good. Sound system overall is decent unless you're an audiophile. The Sony system has the subwoofer if you're looking for that. Otherwise, you can get a decent aftermarket system installed for about the same or less of what the OEM upgrade would cost.

Engine choice is really up to you. Do some research on the forum and you'll see each engine type has had some sort of issue, though not necessarily widespread. Just make sure you get a good extended service plan and/or warranty to cover yourself.

If you don't plan to go off-road a lot (or at all), then 4wd may not be necessary. I have a 4wd, but mainly because I would rather have it and not need then need it and not have it.

The cooled seats thing was not an issue for me. I actually don't use it too often, though. Mainly on long road trips.
DrHorrible (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 373 Likes on 248 Posts

Seriously consider contacting (by email/web page) multiple local Ford dealers and give them only your minimum specs. If you're willing to be open to specific options on a leftover 2017, you may seriously be able to score a deal. I got my 2017 new for not much more than they're selling 2013's used here.
DrHorrible (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Great responses above. My 2 cents:

-For a truck - it rides great but it will be nowhere near as smooth as a Lexus. But the a Lexus cant haul/tow etc what the F150 can.

-I think Sync is pretty good. Ive had Sync 2 and 3. 3 is WAY better

3) I don't have anything big to tow, would the V6 suit my needs? Or is the V8 generally recommended for various reasons (durability, more
power for highway speeds, etc)?
-Ive have the small and big Eco engines. This time I went with the smaller eco - the 2.7 as I am towing less and frankly I wont tow more than 8k lbs ever anymore. The 2.7 gets the best mileage of any F150 engine hands down. It is also either the quickest 0-60 and 1/4 mile or tied with the other engines so no need to pay more for a V8 or big eco for what you need IMO.

-I have always bought 4x4 and lived in the North. If you wont go offroad, I would forego the 4x4 and just get the locking rear axle. That alone provides GREAT low speed traction and Ive played with it in snow on steep hills and it almost always got me moving without even need 4x4.

Good luck in your buying decision
DrHorrible (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 06:18 PM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

People have addressed most of your questions but I’ll add my thoughts on the ride and handling. It’s still a truck but my opinion is it rides and handles really good for a truck. My last trucks were both 3/4 tons so the F150 is a huge step up.

i was originally looking at used but left over 2017 trucks were priced about 10k below sticker so the were often as cheap as used.
DrHorrible (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 06:47 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

Head to a dealer and drive one. You may find a deal on a leftover 2017 new that will rival the used 2015 pricing.

For your needs 2wd is good to go. V6, V8, or TTV6 is up to you. Again drive them. Remember you now have 5000-6000 pounds to get in motion, turn and stop. Plan your power accordingly.

I've had an IS350 Sport, the F150 will ride much better and quieter.
DrHorrible (11-14-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I’ve owned 18 new BMW’s. The F-150 doesn’t drive like a BMW but my Platinum F-150 is every bit as luxurious.
DrHorrible (11-14-2017)