Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a fix for the 2018 F150 Sport Trailer Control Module fault?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a fix for the 2018 F150 Sport Trailer Control Module fault?

Purchased a 2018 F150 Ford Sport 4x4, V6, 6 speed transmission, equipped with tow package hitch and wiring, etc, but not factory equipped "trailer brake controller. Looked into getting after market controller, but the one at O'Reilly wiring does not match up. Took it to Ford Dealer service and asked it they could install. They suggested the OEM Ford controller which is installed in the dash. Great, SO I THOUGHT... Service adviser said a 2 hour job. 3 hours passed. Then, I am advised the unit they installed, a Ford OEM controller, did not power at the fuse location specified by Ford. They would contact Ford. Answer that day: no fuse available. Will call me when one is located. 3 days later, I visit the dealer. Service manager said it is a software engineering problem. Controller does not talk to the Ford computer. I turn the ignition key to on, and the message says Trailer Brake Control Fault. 42 days later and NO FIX.
Any solutions?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:42 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by William Clayton
Purchased a 2018 F150 Ford Sport 4x4, V6, 6 speed transmission, equipped with tow package hitch and wiring, etc, but not factory equipped "trailer brake controller. Looked into getting after market controller, but the one at O'Reilly wiring does not match up. Took it to Ford Dealer service and asked it they could install. They suggested the OEM Ford controller which is installed in the dash. Great, SO I THOUGHT... Service adviser said a 2 hour job. 3 hours passed. Then, I am advised the unit they installed, a Ford OEM controller, did not power at the fuse location specified by Ford. They would contact Ford. Answer that day: no fuse available. Will call me when one is located. 3 days later, I visit the dealer. Service manager said it is a software engineering problem. Controller does not talk to the Ford computer. I turn the ignition key to on, and the message says Trailer Brake Control Fault. 42 days later and NO FIX.
Any solutions?
The module may need to be activated via forscan..
Check out the forscan thread.

Or google forscan trailer brake controller if search function lets you down.

If you have electric brakes on your trailer they should still work when you set up your trailer, you just can't adjust the gain via controller.
The following users liked this post:
William Clayton (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

There is a thread on this in the towing section. Some 2018’s seems to be missing the correct fuse wiring. Ford has repaired a few so far by replacing the whole fuse box. Not sure there is a tsb out for it yet. But info is out there.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sawdust102
There is a thread on this in the towing section. Some 2018’s seems to be missing the correct fuse wiring. Ford has repaired a few so far by replacing the whole fuse box. Not sure there is a tsb out for it yet. But info is out there.
I agree. If you go to the thread "2018 F150 Factory Trailer brake controller question" it has tons of info and this way no need to duplicate efforts. Also easier for future members to find good answers and not fall for erroneous fixes or rumors : https://www.f150forum.com/f82/2018-f...estion-399287/

Quick Reply: Is there a fix for the 2018 F150 Sport Trailer Control Module fault?