Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TFL Towing Economy - 5.0 vs 2.7

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 07:58 AM

Received 461 Likes on 293 Posts
Default TFL Towing Economy - 5.0 vs 2.7

Another entertaining but not overly useful video by TFL Truck. About what you would expect, the 2.7 pulls better and the 5.0 gets better economy. It did surprise me a bit though just how poor the mileage was for both considering the trailer didn't have much frontal area, but I suppose the elevation had something to do with that. Also found it interesting that the trucks were pretty close in indicated MPG.

The XLT is almost identical to mine, other than I don't have the pano roof.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:26 AM

Received 2,547 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Originally Posted by bisonp
Another entertaining but not overly useful video by TFL Truck. About what you would expect, the 2.7 pulls better and the 5.0 gets better economy. It did surprise me a bit though just how poor the mileage was for both considering the trailer didn't have much frontal area, but I suppose the elevation had something to do with that. Also found it interesting that the trucks were pretty close in indicated MPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgi01ednxXM

The XLT is almost identical to mine, other than I don't have the pano roof.
Yeah people always complain on these that the trucks aren't spot-for-spot identical aside from engine. but those are two pretty common builds, rear ends and all, so it's good info. Biggest thing going against the 5.0 in that is the elevation. The 2.7L would likely pull away from the 5.0 while towing even at sea level, but the difference is going to be even bigger at the higher elevation. Still good info though for those that do live in higher elevation areas.

I was impressed with the 2.7L MPG. I expected the 5.0 to do well because it has been known to do very well when towing on MPG, but I totally expected them to come back saying the 2.7L got 4-6MPG or something which how steep that hill is, I suspect the 10-Speed is helping a bit in that situation.

Anyway, I enjoy the videos. As with anything take it for what it is, but take away the comparison part and it's good to see what two very, very common truck builds return for pretty significant towing tasks.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:06 AM

Received 1,585 Likes on 950 Posts

Those guys are such goobers. Would have been helpful to know what octane gas they used...
The following users liked this post:
brandon\ (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 10:01 AM
LCW

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by vulnox
Yeah people always complain on these that the trucks aren't spot-for-spot identical aside from engine. but those are two pretty common builds, rear ends and all, so it's good info. Biggest thing going against the 5.0 in that is the elevation. The 2.7L would likely pull away from the 5.0 while towing even at sea level, but the difference is going to be even bigger at the higher elevation. Still good info though for those that do live in higher elevation areas.

I was impressed with the 2.7L MPG. I expected the 5.0 to do well because it has been known to do very well when towing on MPG, but I totally expected them to come back saying the 2.7L got 4-6MPG or something which how steep that hill is, I suspect the 10-Speed is helping a bit in that situation.

Anyway, I enjoy the videos. As with anything take it for what it is, but take away the comparison part and it's good to see what two very, very common truck builds return for pretty significant towing tasks.
I would guess that fuel econ for the 5.0 benefits at altitude, to the detriment of power? Or not really?
Old 05-31-2019, 10:17 AM

Received 2,547 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Originally Posted by LCW
I would guess that fuel econ for the 5.0 benefits at altitude, to the detriment of power? Or not really?
Maybe a bit? I know the air is leaner so I think the truck also runs leaner, which all other things being equal would potentially consume less fuel, but I suspect that is offset by them needing to keep the truck at 60 (In all their Ike Gauntlet tests, they try to get to the speed limit and stay right there). So if the 5.0L is making less power due to the leaner air, I would suspect it would need to rev higher to try and make up for the power band basically dropping a few notches across the board. In the end I suspect it all averages out.

My knowledge on engine mechanics only goes so far, especially when it comes to impact of elevation and that. Someone else may have a better picture.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:56 AM

Received 178 Likes on 125 Posts

No surprises here. If you tow most of the time, the V8 will deliver better fuel economy. If you tow occasionally, the 2.7 will deliver better fuel economy unloaded.

For me, I tow about 1500 miles a year at around 4500 lbs. The other 14,500 miles I am not towing. For me, the 2.7 works great - delivers good fuel economy unloaded, and more than enough power on tap when I need it. Can't complain...
Old 05-31-2019, 11:02 AM

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by MNgopher
No surprises here. If you tow most of the time, the V8 will deliver better fuel economy. If you tow occasionally, the 2.7 will deliver better fuel economy unloaded.

For me, I tow about 1500 miles a year at around 4500 lbs. The other 14,500 miles I am not towing. For me, the 2.7 works great - delivers good fuel economy unloaded, and more than enough power on tap when I need it. Can't complain...
Very similar to my situation, I wish the 2.7 was available in the Lariat 502a package in 2015 when I bought mine. I went with the 3.5 which is fine but is a gas guzzler and doesn’t seem to have any more power in normal driving circumstances.

Quick Reply: TFL Towing Economy - 5.0 vs 2.7