Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCM relearn... Anything important I need to know before pressing the button?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 01:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default TCM relearn... Anything important I need to know before pressing the button?

Getting new tires today. Going to adjust the tire size in the BCM then start the TCM learning process.

I've read conflicting view points of what should be done next.

On the one hand I've read (I'm paraphrasing):

Start with cold engine (cold soak). Let idle until idle rpms drop, then let idle a few more minutes. Then drive for XX minutes/miles, accelerating evenly/gradually in order to move into/through each gear/shift-point
XX... can't recall how many miles (or is minutes?) were specified...

On the other hand I've read (I'm paraphrasing, but not too far off):

You wanna ROMP on that skinny pedal like an angry GORILLA!
....RIP Harambe

And yet another opinion being:

Meh, whatevs... Just go about your day, it won't matter.
Naturally, as is far too often the case, no background information or sources were provided to support one method or another.

So, let's hear it from the brain trust, in a topic dedicated to this question, what should one do or not do for the TCM learning process? Also, any other pointers, notes, or caveats to be aware of before initiating the TCM relearn in Forscan?
Old 04-17-2019, 06:51 PM

Just got my truck back... Looks awesome... But sweet Jesus! Little pro tip to any of you shop monkies out there, smoking cigarettes makes you and anything you touch or go inside of, stink like ****, don't kid yourselves, you're just used to smelling it. Kids to take care of, will provide obligatory pics at a later date.

Still waiting on the f150forum.com brain trust to weigh in on TCM relearn!
Old 04-17-2019, 06:54 PM

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

I’ve read that you start it and let it idle for 1 minute, then turn to A/C on and let it cycle a few times, then.. go about your business. That’s what I’ve read on this forum, it may have been on the forscan forum but I can’t remember specifically.

edit: maybe that was PCM? I have a bad memory for acronyms

Last edited by KingDeleted; 04-17-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:07 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

Why do you need to do the relearn on the transmission? I understand updating the tire information so that your speedometer reads correctly. The adaptive learning for the transmission is so it can adapt to your driving style. More aggressive driving and it learns to delay upshifts and downshift quicker, for example.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by RL1990
Why do you need to do the relearn on the transmission? I understand updating the tire information so that your speedometer reads correctly. The adaptive learning for the transmission is so it can adapt to your driving style. More aggressive driving and it learns to delay upshifts and downshift quicker, for example.
Apparently changing tire diameter in BCM throws a DTC code causing the wrench light to come on for 2017 ('18+'19 also?). Have to do a PCM/TCM reset to clear code and have the new tire size used by TCM/PCM (according to what I recall from Forscan thread). I have a 2017. Seems like a decent idea to relearn shift points after a size change anyway, at least in my mind.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:54 AM

Received 166 Likes on 91 Posts

On my '16 after setting tire size I had to do a pcm relearn only. tcm did not need relearned. you can alternatly dump the adaptive data in the tcm so it relearns those. but only PCM relearn was needed to clear the code.

Quick Reply: TCM relearn... Anything important I need to know before pressing the button?