Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate removal Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tailgate removal Conundrum

Hi guys,

I remove my tailgate a lot for work and the big issue is in the winter when the wiring plug up by the spare wheel is buried in 2 inches of solid ice. It's a pretty pathetic design. Has anybody heard of or done any mods to make this easier? Currently I've pulled the harness mount at the plug away from the body and leave it in over the spare wheel so I can pull it out under the tailgate before I open it. But the wires are starting to break. I've looked for aftermarket adapters, dealer has no ideas and all I've come up with is butchering two harnesses to make an extension for $300. I'm at the point of doing that but there's always someone telling me adding wire can interfere with the functions.

Any thoughts, insights or tips greatly appreciated.

Don
Old 06-07-2019, 01:27 AM

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

No need to spend 300 bucks to extend the harness. Just buy matching gauge wire and cut the connector off staggering your cuts so there isn't a huge bulge where you put all your crimps. Get some non insulated butt splices of appropriate gauge and marine grade shrink tube of proper size (has hot glue inside to perfectly seal) and that should do the trick no problem. Only times I've seen people adding wire cause harm is when they try to solder but don't know how and either A: make a crappy connection that adds resistance to the circuit or B: add too much solder which will wick up inside the wires and create stress points to break at (that is why I recommend the non insulated but splices, however if you are good at soldering then that is a better connection)
Old 06-07-2019, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the advice. I should have done this from new I guess. I'm assuming 18ga wire? Has anyone tried to work inside the plugs? On e wire has broken right at the plug so if I can't make a connection I may end up having to replace that side.

Cheers!
Old 06-07-2019, 01:26 PM

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

It gets to be a pain if you have to de pin plugs. There are tools for it and you can get new terminals however I would recommend if you have to re do 1 pin just get a little pre made pigtail cause the crimp is hard to do without the proper crimpers and if done wrong it wont fit and latch back into place in the connector. I haven't looked but I'm sure there are youtube vids about de pinning and re pinning connectors.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:00 PM

Received 617 Likes on 287 Posts

Search for a thread about doing your own back up camera. There is good information about the crimper, the pins, and how to access plugs to add wires, or in your case, repair, replace.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:47 PM

Received 430 Likes on 329 Posts

yeah if it's broke that close you need to repin a wire. It's fairly easy but a tedious PITA.

you need a ford harness pin tool - there are various versions becuase everyone's connectors are a touch different. Should be easy to find I'm fairly certain Lisile makes a few. just to pick a name.

anywho - you depin the connection - thing magic tool let's you push the wires out of the back. Then you can cut and strip - recrimp a new pin on (there are kits with pins and new connectors too - ford uses more than one type of pin so obviously you need to know what goes with the connector. Dealer parts desk can help.

Fix your one wire - then as said before cut all your wires in staggered locations - like 1/8 or more apart. then you have a set of "tails" that have your pins on them - and the other side is the other open wires. take your pin'd tails to your workbench. add _____ length of wire to the pin tails - I personally like to soldier but crimp whatever. Then put shrink tube on each connection wire - then tape the bundle (or whatever.)

Then go back to the truck with your new lengthened pin tail - and reconnect again with crimps or soldier and rinse and repeat. NOW - re pin your connector and plug up - then tuck and stow your wires.

Curious - how many wires is it?

If you feel nervous about it - take it to a quality stereo installer store. Many of the aftermarket setups have rear camera harness and other add ons - but those guys will be very familar with wiring and reconnecting etc. So they would probably do it for a small fee. (I'm thinking under 200)

Good Luck and enjoy.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:52 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone. Much appreciated. I don't mind giving it a go myself but it's finding the down time so I may take it in somewhere. I'll let you guys know. It has 12 wires. It's just a crappy idea to start with I need to get it done before winter because up there by the spare tire it just gets encased in a few inches of ice. I wish they would just put a plug where the hole for the tailgate harness to go through to the bottom of the box, is. Something like the trailer wiring plug. Open the tailgate, pull the plug and done instead of all the gravel in the eye!!! I hope someone from Ford reads this.....

Thanks Guys!
Old 06-11-2019, 07:11 AM

Received 271 Likes on 183 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what is the scenario where you need to take off and put on your tail gate so often?

In Fords defense, they rightfully engineered the tailgate to be removed only rarely. Its not meant, nor should it be, to be removed often.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:08 AM

Received 430 Likes on 329 Posts

I meant to ask that too
Old 06-11-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 364 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by rngtrtl
Just out of curiosity, what is the scenario where you need to take off and put on your tail gate so often?

In Fords defense, they rightfully engineered the tailgate to be removed only rarely. Its not meant, nor should it be, to be removed often.
Originally Posted by Napalm
I meant to ask that too
The answer to this question is the very first sentence of the very first post.

Quick Reply: Tailgate removal Conundrum