Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate LED light bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tailgate LED light bar

Has anyone put one of the LED tailgate light bars on the new 2015 F150 yet? I put one on and plugged it into the flat 4 plug and now every time I start the truck the trailer reading shows on the dash telling me I have a trailer hooked up and it deactivates the rear parking aid , Is there anyway to disarm this in my settings somewhere? I really dont want to hard wire the light bar but if I have to I will. Thanks for any help
Old 09-15-2015, 06:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished hard wiring it up and I get the same message..... Looking for the same solution
Old 09-15-2015, 07:46 PM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Yall will have to hook in to the tail lights wiring not the trailer wiring, the truck senses a load on the trailer harness that's why is thinks there is a trailer hooked up
The following users liked this post:
rbird2 (02-12-2020)
Old 09-15-2015, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by RceRdFX4
Yall will have to hook in to the tail lights wiring not the trailer wiring, the truck senses a load on the trailer harness that's why is thinks there is a trailer hooked up

so I couldnt hard wire it where the truck harness plugs into the trailer harness?just before where they plug together on the truck side,if I cant do that dame I need to make the led wires really long. Didnt think it was going to be this much of a pain just to add that light bar LOL
Old 09-15-2015, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jer13
I just finished hard wiring it up and I get the same message..... Looking for the same solution

Where did you tie into?did you hard wire into the trailer harness? it sounds like we need to get on the other side of where the trailer harness plugs into the truck harness. but Im not sure and I dont want to tie in somewhere then have to take it apart and tie in somewhere else.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:10 PM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

These trucks have a dedicated trailer harness, the best thing to do would be to get a T harness like they make for older trucks to add trailer lights hook up that goes in the harness going to the tail lights, most come with a 4wire flat plug and go in between the plugs where it goes from bed to frame somewhere under the driver side tail light. But idk if they changed the plugs this year or not
The following users liked this post:
bvywolf (07-16-2016)
Old 09-15-2015, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by RceRdFX4
These trucks have a dedicated trailer harness, the best thing to do would be to get a T harness like they make for older trucks to add trailer lights hook up that goes in the harness going to the tail lights, most come with a 4wire flat plug and go in between the plugs where it goes from bed to frame somewhere under the driver side tail light. But idk if they changed the plugs this year or not

Ok Ill check into that, thanks for the help
Old 09-16-2015, 01:38 PM

Ok after looking at the wire harness under the truck,theres a lot of plugs back there and I dont want to splice into any of the wires under the truck,so this is what Im going to do,buy a 4 flat wire harness extension cut one end off and plug the other end into my tailgate light bar and run the wires to the tail lights,already had to run one wire for the back up light on the light bar so Ill just do the same for all the wires. Found one on ebay for 5 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-Trailer-Light-Wire-Harness-4-Way-Wire-Flat-Connector-Trailer-Light-Extension-/350832394734?hash=item51af3d81ee&vxp=mtr
or buy a 4 flat trailer harness for wiring a trailer. I think one of these is the best so the light bar wont interfere with the back up sensors or make the truck think I have a trailer hooked up.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I originally tied in behind the 7 pin connection and got the trailer message, so with reading more threads and the comments made on this one. I went off the tail lights. .... Works just as it did on my 09. No more message. A little extra work. But satisfied....
Old 09-16-2015, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jer13
I originally tied in behind the 7 pin connection and got the trailer message, so with reading more threads and the comments made on this one. I went off the tail lights. .... Works just as it did on my 09. No more message. A little extra work. But satisfied....
That is what im going to do.thanks for letting me know what I want to do will work.

Quick Reply: Tailgate LED light bar