Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate Issue, rubber bumpers jamming tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Tailgate Issue, rubber bumpers jamming tailgate

I've tried searching, but cannot find others who have experienced the same issue. I've had my '15 Lariat sport FX4 502A for about a week. Last night I encountered my first issue with the truck. I tried to open the tailgate and it became jammed and would not lower by either pushing the button on the tailgate itself, or by using the remote. It would click, but just not lower. After some playing around with it, I finally got it to open. The issue was the little rubber bumper stop on the side of the truck bed had twisted sideways, jamming the tailgate. Easily remedied by just rotating the bumper back to its original position, then everything works fine. The issue is that these rubber tailgate bumpers on each side of the bed rotate far too easily. They will almost spin. I tried tightening the little screw on each side that holds them on, however both of the screws just keep turning without tightening, as if it's stripped out. It's the same on both sides, so not sure if it's supposed to be this way? Doesn't seem right to me. You should be able to tighten them up to prevent them from rotating.

I've attached a picture of the part I'm referring to (circled in red in the picture). Has anyone else experienced this issue? Do your rubber bumpers rotate easily too? Will the screws actually tighten yours? I've already sent an email off to the dealer, and am just waiting for their response on the issue.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have noticed that. I had to trim the bumpers on mine after Linex was sprayed because the tailgate would not close unless slammed.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:40 AM

For me it works fine, as long as the bumper is in the right position (as it's pictured). Tailgate closes easily with one finger, and opens easily too. But you just have to brush up against it and it rotates the bumper, and then it will not close or open properly. Not a huge issue to have to spin the bumper back (now that I know what the issue is). But to me it seems like they should be tighter, and I can't tighten them, as the screw just spins and doesn't tighten.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 1,266 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by freerider11
For me it works fine, as long as the bumper is in the right position (as it's pictured). Tailgate closes easily with one finger, and opens easily too. But you just have to brush up against it and it rotates the bumper, and then it will not close or open properly. Not a huge issue to have to spin the bumper back (now that I know what the issue is). But to me it seems like they should be tighter, and I can't tighten them, as the screw just spins and doesn't tighten.
If you can remove the screw than put a dab of silicone behind the bumper and reinstall.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:57 AM

Good idea! If I can remove the screw, haven't tried...

That's definitely plan b, depending on what the dealer says. Just waiting for the tech at my local dealer to get back to me on the issue.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:39 AM

Received 1,266 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by freerider11
Good idea! If I can remove the screw, haven't tried...

That's definitely plan b, depending on what the dealer says. Just waiting for the tech at my local dealer to get back to me on the issue.
Let them do it if that's easier or quicker for you. I would just fix it myself and save the hassle of going to the dealer.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old topic,but still holds true for 2017 model after Line-X. The bumper is very loose. Anyone have any new remedies? Could always try a dab of glue.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

OP, I had a similar issue. After getting my bed Line-X'd, I noticed one bumper missing and the remaining one very loose. The Line-X dealer ordered me new bumpers ($5) and when we tried installing the new ones they too were very loose. There's a two piece plastic stub that holds the bumper in place. Turns out the part is normal it just installs in a weird way. If I remember correctly, you have to insert the outer stub all the way into the hole, and then only push the inside stub in about half way. It should click in and expand to hold the bumper on securely. Play with it a bit and you'll see. I hope this helps!
The following users liked this post:
johndoejohndoes (06-10-2017)
Old 12-21-2016, 10:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool, I'll give that a try! If not, maybe some velcro placed behind it would do the truck.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

I had the same issue after they were removed and reinstalled for the spray-in liner. I may be wrong, but I don't think the plastic screws are meant to be reused.

Dealer replaced the screws for me, and no problem since, and that was over a year ago now. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Tailgate Issue, rubber bumpers jamming tailgate