Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SYNC3 problems = APIM replacement and changes I've noticed

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 12:23 AM

Received 143 Likes on 87 Posts
Default SYNC3 problems = APIM replacement and changes I've noticed

Since the Sync3 v3.0 upgrade, I was experiencing multiple problems with Sync. The system would freeze, or not even recognize a phone when plugged into the USB port, only show Ford Applink Apps when they were not enabled, etc. A reset of the APIM (off button and forward - or right for 5 seconds or more) would fix SYNC3 for a while - usually until a key cycle. Good news is that I was able to replicate the issue, demonstrate it to the service writer and Ford replaced the APIM under warranty.

Here is what I've discovered since then:
1. There are 2 more lines in the APIM.abt file. I now have lines 7D0-08-01 and 7D0-08-02. Those did not exist with the old APIM.
2. I've made several changes with FORScan. I did not reset any modules to "as built" before leaving the truck at the dealership. I downloaded the "as built" file from motorcraftservice.com after the APIM replacement and the current as built file from Ford now has all my module changes - so the current AS BUILT file now reflects all the mods I've made. I still have the original AS BUILT file before any mods but found it interesting that all my mods have been uploaded to the motorcraftservice.com site. I'm assuming when the tech reprogrammed the new APIM, IDS uploads all modules to Ford??? (or can someone else explain how this happens?) So, if you plan to have a module replaced and DON'T want your original AS BUILT information replaced on the Ford site, you might want to reset all your modules to the original state before taking the vehicle in for service. Personally, I'm OK with the new values on the Ford site since those are current values and everything works.
3. Even though I've added Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), which requires a CCM (764-01-01 thru 764-02-04), that module is NOT included in the new AS BUILT file. However, the changes I made to the ABS module for ACC and other modules are in the new AS BUILT file.
4. There are more fields/values for the NODEID section of the AS BUILT file. I'm not sure what these fields/values are or what they do, but for the 7D0 section (APIM), there are 5 new fields. I assume these are due to the new APIM? Don't really know. Also noticed, most other sections have a new field of F18C. I don't think this field is related to the new APIM, I assume Ford added this to the AS BUILT information sometime between when I obtained my original AS BUILT and the current AS BUILT information.

APIM information before replacment:
APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module
Part number: GJ5T-14G371-BFC (latest known: GJ5T-14G371-BFE)
Strategy : GB5T-14G374-AF
Calibration: GB5T-14G375-BA

APIM after replacement:
APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module
Part number: JS7T-14G371-JED
Strategy : HB5T-14G374-CA
Calibration: HB5T-14G375-BA
The following users liked this post:
Mojoron (01-06-2022)
Old 12-09-2018, 09:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the part number a software controlled number or the part number of the physical module? I'm going to need to replace mine, but I can't determine if it is the files on it or the part itself. This all started after a service at the dealer for a bad shock. They also performed the recalls for rear left seat belt and door opening while driving. a month later (and out of warranty the screen goes haywire on every trip).

Symptoms: laggy screen;GPS signal loss; Blacks out; random control issues from steering wheel
Attempted resolution:
- upgrade to 3.0 problems worse than 2.0
- downgrade to 2.2 ( next startup was a pink interface with missing buttons instead of blue; next start was blue with correct buttons but laggy and unstable)
- upgrade to 3.0 (next startup was a pink interface with missing buttons instead of blue; next start was blue with correct buttons but laggy and unstable)

Someone mentioned that you can have your phone plugged for android auto and the system functions normally (more stable). This worked for me too. My guess, this method bypasses the navigation load procedures and/or voice controls. However when using the steering control it does not block the radio to listen.

2016 F150 Platinum w/Nav

Last edited by jp6544; 12-09-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the APIM replaced in my 2018, running Sync v3.0, symptoms were:
Delayed touch screen commands.
Delayed steering wheel button commands
Delayed cabin temp control commands
No GPS on NAV
Random disconnect of Bluetooth to cell phone
jjoseph (07-09-2021)
Old 12-14-2018, 07:16 AM
Old Fart

Received 297 Likes on 222 Posts

You might want to post this or a link to this in the Forscan thread.

I have an issue with Sync3 and my iPhone MAX. Been to the dealer, they see the issue, but can find nothing wrong. Subsequent email conversation says we can run tests that should show a fault in whatever module is causing the issue. Then and only then will they be able to justify replacing the module. I assumed it is the APIM from the beginning, Curious if you know what tests your dealer did to determine it was the APIM or did they just make the assumption and replace the APIM?
Old 12-14-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My APIM was replaced yesterday. Tech said Ford's website was down so they couldn't program it; hopefully everything is back up so I can pick up the truck today. ('16 Lariat Sync3)
Old 12-14-2018, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by remltr
You might want to post this or a link to this in the Forscan thread.

I have an issue with Sync3 and my iPhone MAX. Been to the dealer, they see the issue, but can find nothing wrong. Subsequent email conversation says we can run tests that should show a fault in whatever module is causing the issue. Then and only then will they be able to justify replacing the module. I assumed it is the APIM from the beginning, Curious if you know what tests your dealer did to determine it was the APIM or did they just make the assumption and replace the APIM?
I don't know what the dealer did to confirm the issue or how he retrieved the U3000 code from the APIM. I had cleared all DTCs a couple days before I took the truck in for service. I did stop by the dealer 2x when the APIM was acting up and demonstrated the issue, as well as how a reset (power button and fast forward for 5+ seconds) would fix everything and work for some time. I was able to get the service writer take a video of the issue, but not sure if he gave it to the tech or not. Here is what is written on the service ticket:
Verified concern, retrieved DTC U3000 in APIM, cleared codes, code returns, proceeded to interactive diagnostics per WSM. Replaced and programmed APIM per interactive diagnostics.

All was covered under warranty in my case. I did see another post a while back which stated one could get into a diagnostics screen with the following: To get to diagnostics screen in APIM: CD Eject and Forward button - (right) (hold for 5 seconds or more)
I have never tried this but might be worth a try if you are having problems. I'm not even sure what all is available in the diagnostic screens....
Old 12-14-2018, 03:57 PM
Old Fart

Originally Posted by breakers28
I don't know what the dealer did to confirm the issue or how he retrieved the U3000 code from the APIM. I had cleared all DTCs a couple days before I took the truck in for service. I did stop by the dealer 2x when the APIM was acting up and demonstrated the issue, as well as how a reset (power button and fast forward for 5+ seconds) would fix everything and work for some time. I was able to get the service writer take a video of the issue, but not sure if he gave it to the tech or not. Here is what is written on the service ticket:
Verified concern, retrieved DTC U3000 in APIM, cleared codes, code returns, proceeded to interactive diagnostics per WSM. Replaced and programmed APIM per interactive diagnostics.

All was covered under warranty in my case. I did see another post a while back which stated one could get into a diagnostics screen with the following: To get to diagnostics screen in APIM: CD Eject and Forward button - (right) (hold for 5 seconds or more)
I have never tried this but might be worth a try if you are having problems. I'm not even sure what all is available in the diagnostic screens....

I have been in the diagnostic screen, but couldn't figure out what was what so I backed out of it.

I tried your reset and it brought back my mobile apps until I restarted the truck again. But that is the least of my problems. I try to play music from my iphone via the usb cable and the sync3 menu goes all wonky, flashing and unable to navigate the screens. The reset did not fix that.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:24 PM

I have been in the diagnostic screen, but couldn't figure out what was what so I backed out of it.

I tried your reset and it brought back my mobile apps until I restarted the truck again. But that is the least of my problems. I try to play music from my iphone via the usb cable and the sync3 menu goes all wonky, flashing and unable to navigate the screens. The reset did not fix that.
Hopefully your dealer is not too far away and you can get the truck in for a diagnosis. It is for certain a dealer will not take any action if they cannot "see" the issue so I recommend a stop at the service department when it is acting up and show them just what it is doing. Sounds like your issue is consistent at now working with every restart so hopefully it will be easy to show them the issues. Just for fun and to see if there is a difference, have you tried music from the iPhone via Bluetooth only? I seldom ever listen to music off my phone so I don't know if my old APIM had an issue when connected via cable. Sorry, probably not much help on that one...

As I think about this, when my APIM would act up, I noticed on several occasions my phone flashed some error screen and then it would go away before I could every read what it said. Never could figure out how to find those messages after they went away so I don't know what they said..... I have discovered in the last few days that even though my iPhone is set to allow CarPlay while locked, if I plug the phone in while in reverse (APIM showing reverse camera), it appears as if my phone is just a USB device and will not bring CarPlay up until I unlock the phone. These systems seem to be a bit unpredictable.

My dealer stated they have been replacing a lot of APIMs, and have found 3 instances where the 8" infotainment screen also had to be replaced. It is not uncommon to have to wait almost 2 weeks for the replacement APIM. Mine was just over a week before it arrived. I'd probably ask your local dealer for an appointment and see if they can diagnose it. I'd be surprised if they charge you to diagnose it (even if they find nothing). Hope you can get it figured out. It is a great feature when it works and sucks when it doesn't.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:44 PM
Old Fart

Originally Posted by breakers28
Hopefully your dealer is not too far away and you can get the truck in for a diagnosis. It is for certain a dealer will not take any action if they cannot "see" the issue so I recommend a stop at the service department when it is acting up and show them just what it is doing. Sounds like your issue is consistent at now working with every restart so hopefully it will be easy to show them the issues. Just for fun and to see if there is a difference, have you tried music from the iPhone via Bluetooth only? I seldom ever listen to music off my phone so I don't know if my old APIM had an issue when connected via cable. Sorry, probably not much help on that one...

As I think about this, when my APIM would act up, I noticed on several occasions my phone flashed some error screen and then it would go away before I could every read what it said. Never could figure out how to find those messages after they went away so I don't know what they said..... I have discovered in the last few days that even though my iPhone is set to allow CarPlay while locked, if I plug the phone in while in reverse (APIM showing reverse camera), it appears as if my phone is just a USB device and will not bring CarPlay up until I unlock the phone. These systems seem to be a bit unpredictable.

My dealer stated they have been replacing a lot of APIMs, and have found 3 instances where the 8" infotainment screen also had to be replaced. It is not uncommon to have to wait almost 2 weeks for the replacement APIM. Mine was just over a week before it arrived. I'd probably ask your local dealer for an appointment and see if they can diagnose it. I'd be surprised if they charge you to diagnose it (even if they find nothing). Hope you can get it figured out. It is a great feature when it works and sucks when it doesn't.
Mine acts up 100% of the time when the usb is connected. If I select blue tooth there is no issue. I have physically shown the issue to the service writer and emailed them a video of the same. They are well aware, but I think they like to drag their feet in hopes that I will just live with it. I don't know why that would be as it isn't going to cost them anything, Ford pays the bill on warranty items.

Anyway thanks for the info and your time.

Brownr (11-08-2019)
Old 12-14-2018, 06:39 PM

Unhappy

Mine acts up 100% of the time when the usb is connected. If I select blue tooth there is no issue. I have physically shown the issue to the service writer and emailed them a video of the same. They are well aware, but I think they like to drag their feet in hopes that I will just live with it. I don't know why that would be as it isn't going to cost them anything, Ford pays the bill on warranty items.

Anyway thanks for the info and your time.
That sucks! I find it is harder for them to ignore me if I'm there, and demonstrate the issue to them (my service writer even tried his phone and it failed) as opposed to an email. Maybe even speak to the service dept. manager if needed, or a general dealer manager. Otherwise, I'd probably see if another dealer would take a little more interest in the issue (hopefully one is close by). I realize it is easy for me to offer advice, much harder when you are the one struggling to get someone to respond and act.... I would not want to have to just live with the issue - especially since you have a warranty. Sorry to hear you are having problems.

Quick Reply: SYNC3 problems = APIM replacement and changes I've noticed