Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync - Sending text messages with voice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Sync - Sending text messages with voice?

Hello. First post here.

I took delivery of my '15 4x4 screw Lariat sport FX4 502A about a week ago. Love the truck. I had actually ordered a '16 because I wanted Sync3, and was disappointed when I was told late availability for that configuration, so around a Feb delivery (didn't want to wait that long). Then the day after I ordered, dealer called me and said they found pretty much the exact truck I ordered, but a '15, available immediately. Obviously better incentives on the '15, and I could be in the truck the following day, so I jumped on it. Figured the MFT Sync system would be ok, seeing as the only reason I wanted a '16 was for Sync3.

So, I'm actually pretty happy with MFT Sync. This is my first experience with Sync. It is kind of clunky at times, but it gets the job done. The only thing I'm pretty disappointed about is the text messaging through voice. I can receive texts and have Sync read them to me, which works great. But I thought for sure I'd be able to reply to texts through voice with this system. This is not the case, it only allows me to select from a list of canned replies. I know you can edit the canned replies to choose from, however that's not very convenient. Is there no way for me to just speak my reply to Sync, and have it convert the speech to text to send back? I thought I had read that the MFT Sync system allowed you to do this. Is there something I'm missing?

FYI, I am using an HTC One M8 phone, and I am in Canada, if that makes a difference (not sure if the Canadian and US systems are different).

Any advice?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:30 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Your phone allows you to put in text messages with your voice, right? Can't you use that feature?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:37 AM

Yes it does. And I had been using that feature in my last vehicle. However, it would be nice to go completely hands free and keep the phone in my pocket. Which was what I thought I'd be able to do with this system.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

It's not much help for you, but for iPhone users the latest Sync update includes Siri Hands Free and it works well. Hold the voice button for 3 secs, and Siri asks what she can do. Ask her to send a message to "Whoever", tell her what to say, and she does. Slick really.

Although I know there's a ton of reasons why it doesn't work, but the one thing it would be cool if it would work, is to be able to ask Siri to search for a location and then have it transfer over to the built-in nav. Yes, you can use the iPhone maps and Siri, but the built in maps and so on are so much more convenient!! Ahhh, #FirstWorldProblems :-)

Cheers!!

Ken
Old 11-24-2015, 10:03 AM

If there is a similar feature for Android, that would be exactly what I need!

Anybody able to do this with Android (obviously not Siri, but similar)?
Old 11-24-2015, 10:09 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Android Auto promises to be good, but it's for Sync 3 only, and you have Sync 2.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:11 AM

Yes, which is why I ordered the '16. But was impatient, and when the '15 came up exactly as I had ordered the '16 (minus the Sync3 obviously), I couldn't help myself.

Still, I expected sending texts by voice would be an option.

So, no way to do this with Android then? If so, pretty disappointing.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by freerider11
Hello. First post here. I took delivery of my '15 4x4 screw Lariat sport FX4 502A about a week ago. Love the truck. I had actually ordered a '16 because I wanted Sync3, and was disappointed when I was told late availability for that configuration, so around a Feb delivery (didn't want to wait that long). Then the day after I ordered, dealer called me and said they found pretty much the exact truck I ordered, but a '15, available immediately. Obviously better incentives on the '15, and I could be in the truck the following day, so I jumped on it. Figured the MFT Sync system would be ok, seeing as the only reason I wanted a '16 was for Sync3. So, I'm actually pretty happy with MFT Sync. This is my first experience with Sync. It is kind of clunky at times, but it gets the job done. The only thing I'm pretty disappointed about is the text messaging through voice. I can receive texts and have Sync read them to me, which works great. But I thought for sure I'd be able to reply to texts through voice with this system. This is not the case, it only allows me to select from a list of canned replies. I know you can edit the canned replies to choose from, however that's not very convenient. Is there no way for me to just speak my reply to Sync, and have it convert the speech to text to send back? I thought I had read that the MFT Sync system allowed you to do this. Is there something I'm missing? FYI, I am using an HTC One M8 phone, and I am in Canada, if that makes a difference (not sure if the Canadian and US systems are different). Any advice?
I'm pretty sure that's an android issue... Is you had an iPhone you can verbally have Siri read texts and then she's asks if you'd like to reply... But the draw back is you can read your texts on the screen. So it's a trade off. More verbal commands and options but less visual.

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Change one canned response to "Driving. Call me" Crisis Averted.

My only beef is that in my 2013 Edge with MFT I could trigger the read of a text message from my steering wheel...WHY THE HELL is that not available in my 2015 F150 that cost way more?

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

I am using a 3 year old Nokia Lumia 920 Windows Phone and I can receive texts, and after it reads them to me, MFT Sync asks if I'd like to reply, and I can voice a response text of whatever I like. However, MFT Sync messes up what I say a LOT. I have no idea how to make it initiate a text. Says my phone is incompatible, yet the option to respond to a text with custom voice shows otherwise.

I have no idea where in MFT Sync to find specific options regarding this though. It's a total mystery to me.

Quick Reply: Sync - Sending text messages with voice?