Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync Lockup

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sync Lockup

Love the truck. HATE the software on it.

Now, Sync locked up on a trip while a call was coming in. The answer button on the steering wheel had no function. No button had a function. The display said who was calling and to choose to accept or reject the call. The up and down button would change the selection but nothing beyond that. Turning off the truck and opening the door seem to start recycling the radio but, on truck restart, it quickly went back to the screen offering to accept or reject the call (now long ago terminated by the caller) and stay there. No button on the entire dash had any effect except for the up and down button to choose accept or reject. My selection plus OK had no effect. Couldn't access radio or satellite or Menu (to reset the radio). Everything was simply locked up. Online, the only solution that worked was to pull the fuse for the radio for a few seconds and replace it which I did this morning. Now, I'll keep needle-nose pliers in the glove compartment in case it decides to lock up just before the six hour trip home. This problem is on top of the faulty satellite radio problem which Ford acknowledged back in March and is yet to be fixed. I bought the truck in April without being told that I had no usable satellite radio until Ford issued a solution to dealers. I love the truck, but the person who decided to let Microsoft write its software needs to be replaced. When I go to trade up and I see that Microsoft is still the author of the entertainment software i'm going with another brand even though, for the truck, Ford is my first choice.

Last edited by donsmith; 09-05-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:21 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 315 Likes on 196 Posts

Hey donsmith,

Which system do you have: owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/all/setup/how-to-identify-your-sync-version.html I'd like to help!

Shaay
Old 09-06-2016, 02:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had that happen a few times to me as well and I was advised to soft reset and if that doesn't fix it to do a master reset (save all your settings first). Seems like the software crashes causing the lockup and after 5 minutes or so mind did reset stating that it was performing maintenance (other words we crashes and we are restarting).
Old 09-07-2016, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hey donsmith,

Which system do you have: owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/all/setup/how-to-identify-your-sync-version.html I'd like to help!

Shaay
Basic Sync. 2016 F-150. Small screen. Thank you.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Goldman
I have had that happen a few times to me as well and I was advised to soft reset and if that doesn't fix it to do a master reset (save all your settings first). Seems like the software crashes causing the lockup and after 5 minutes or so mind did reset stating that it was performing maintenance (other words we crashes and we are restarting).

I was unable to perform any kind of reset because I could not access the Menu or any other function. For the six hour drive that night and until the next day when I pulled the fuse to the radio for a few seconds, the screen would not change and was stuck on asking me if I wanted to accept or reject a call long since disconnected.

On my other tirade, the faulty Sirius reception, I just learned yesterday that Ford has a replacement satellite antenna for my problem, which it first acknowledged back in March. I'm on the list of the backorder to get that Sirius antenna replacement now.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Ford Customer Service

I agree with Dave Goldman, donsmith! I suggest doing the module reset now. If the issue is with the SYNC module, this can prevent it from happening again. First, select RADIO then hold down the POWER & RIGHT SEEK buttons for about 5 seconds. Once you see that the reset has started, you can release the buttons.

Shaay
Old 09-14-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a similar problem yesterday, no radio, no buttons working, only my CD player would work.(2016 bought in June) When I ejected the disc the radio came on, but only the Sirius station I had on before I shut the truck off. When I open the door the radio kept playing for 20 or thirty seconds before turning off. tried it 30 minutes later, and everything works. Hope it's not a sign of things to come
Old 09-14-2016, 04:26 PM
Ford Customer Service

Hi Cleoxlt,

Don't hesitate to reach out if you continue to experience issues.

Shaay
Old 09-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update?

Donsmith - Were they finally able to get your Sync issue fixed? If so what was the ultimate fix?? Thanks

Quick Reply: Sync Lockup